Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not just the M3 configurations that changed overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this morning that the PCP on a new MS has changed significantly.

I received a quote from Tesla last week on a new inventory car, cost 68k. The FGV was £33k. 10k down £720/month

This morning the FGV on a new order MS is 22k!. 10k down £966/month. (68k car plus £850 fees)

When I was playing with this earlier, down to around 32.4%

Not good for me, when I'm hoping to get an M3 with 15k miles, on the same test, putting the miles to 15k dropped it to 27.4%

That was over 48 months

Hmmm something funny is going on here. The Tesla site is now using a ~34% residual.. but the Barcleys configurator is still using ~49%..

I suspect the configurator hasn't caught up. The change is due in part to the HMRC instigated VAT changes - basically if the GFV is too low it's not really a PCP as nobody will by the car so it's actually a lease. Chapter and verse here

Revenue and Customs Brief 1 (2019): Change to the VAT treatment of personal contract purchases

IMO the GFV is now too low, probably because the finance house is smarting at taking a beating on the residuals when Tesla slashed the top end prices recently.

Whatever the reason, it's going to put a spanner in the man maths calculator for many.

IMO the GFV is now too low, probably because the finance house is smarting at taking a beating on the residuals when Tesla slashed the top end prices recently.

looks like the knock on effects of Tesla's unpredictable behavior is starting to trickle through. you cant blame the finance companies, its like roulette as who knows what your tesla will be worth in 4 years time.

I personally think its suicide to tie into something like a Model S for 48months at a grand a month with 10k down !.

Im hopefully going to settle for a M3 and only if the figures are realistic and over 24 months.

Candidly - Dont buy a Model S new or used now.
It pains me to says it, but that is the result of Tesla's price slash.

There is now horrible depreciation built into Tesla ownership.
You dont really think a 2yo ModelS P100D is seriously worth £85K when a new one is better and now costs £95K?
ModelS used prices will fall steadily until the market realigns, and there's a load more about to come to market with Model3 starting too.

Even new cars now will suffer as the faceilft is puportedly September '19, then new batteries next year, then a whole new model a year later.
Sure eveyone always has new stuff, but Tesla is techno gagetry so expect similar depreciation to your phone. Tesla have also proved themselves unreliable as to new prices so this has to be factored in too.

This is precisely why the financial markets are hammering GFVs, it is entirely of Tesla's making and is a total own goal as low cost of ownership was one of the biggest selling points.

As @Wannabeanowner says new a Model3 cash purchase is probably the best place to be just now as resale should be sound at least early on.

It is interesting to note that even though the cash price of a model S has fallen by over £20k since I bought mine last year, the current monthly cost of the PCP is much higher, even allowing for the lower deposit.

At the current prices I probably wouldn't buy it...