Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not keeping my FSD subscription after two months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteelClouds

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2021
CA
I'm letting my subscription go.. I've had it for two months and too many stupid choices were made by it. It consistently wants to drift left when there is an on ramp for the highway/freeway. It missed seeing a bicyclist on the highway and kept trying to center the car which would have been way too close to the cyclist and actually illegal here in CA. The final straw was last night when it darted left to use a center merge lane for people leaving a recreation area so they made a short merge lane for them to accelerate. Definitely not ready for prime time. But I only had three instances of "phantom" braking but since I can reproduce it, it's not phantom.. just crappy code. One was the classic high contrast where there was a dark tunnel and really bright background. I may have braked myself while trying to squint :) So I really dont fault it that time. But hitting the brakes in the middle of lane change because its a long sweep curve is not smart. Nor is hitting the brakes every time someone is merging on my left to the freeway.

The thing that bugs me more than anything though is how it wants to accelerate to speed even though I can see everyone slowing down ahead of me but I'm beyond the range (?) of the braking zone so it's pedal down then slam on the brakes. It make me appreciate just how much information we humans process without really thinking about it.

So use with caution.. keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention! I really prefer the assisted cruise at this time.

Luckily Tesla is a company that allows someone to "rent" the feature...very flexible and good for you for giving it the boot.

I don't even use Auto Pilot much as the amount of time I need to let the steering wheel know "I'm still there"...I might as well just steer. I will use the cruise control at highway speed but wish it was better in "stop and go" traffic...as soon as it sees the car in front of me move it starts off way too fast for my liking.

Last edited:
I have decided never to get FSD. I love my car but Tesla can't even get TACC to work correctly. There are far too many instances of phantom braking, mostly on broad, sweeping right hand curves on secondary roads. Tesla's TACC is definitely not as good as the TACC I had on a 2017 Volvo! I live in a rural area with many single lane roads, many roads without white lines marking the edges of the road, or yellow lines down the middle of the road, and lots of rain and snow. These factors make TACC and FSD even less attractive. And what's the point of Autosteer when you have to keep applying pressure to the steering wheel?

As I understand it when you get on the highway, the system switches from FSD to navigate on autopilot. I plan to wait until Tesla merges everything into what they call "single stack" so that you get the benefit of FSD even on highways before I "rent" it to try it. While as a software engineer, I don't necessarily agree with Tesla (and now others) misusing the term "stack", we know what it means and it's important to be able to get the benefits of the FSD AI on the highway as well as city streets.

Mike

I'm letting my subscription go.. I've had it for two months and too many stupid choices were made by it. It consistently wants to drift left when there is an on ramp for the highway/freeway. It missed seeing a bicyclist on the highway and kept trying to center the car which would have been way too close to the cyclist and actually illegal here in CA. The final straw was last night when it darted left to use a center merge lane for people leaving a recreation area so they made a short merge lane for them to accelerate. Definitely not ready for prime time. But I only had three instances of "phantom" braking but since I can reproduce it, it's not phantom.. just crappy code. One was the classic high contrast where there was a dark tunnel and really bright background. I may have braked myself while trying to squint :) So I really dont fault it that time. But hitting the brakes in the middle of lane change because its a long sweep curve is not smart. Nor is hitting the brakes every time someone is merging on my left to the freeway.

The thing that bugs me more than anything though is how it wants to accelerate to speed even though I can see everyone slowing down ahead of me but I'm beyond the range (?) of the braking zone so it's pedal down then slam on the brakes. It make me appreciate just how much information we humans process without really thinking about it.

So use with caution.. keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention! I really prefer the assisted cruise at this time.
I want to know more about the bicyclist on the Highway? Sounds like an unusual problem.

This is a road called Santiago Canyon. Very popular with the cyclists and cars due to the twisty nature of the road and it's scenic. In this case, one cyclist on the shoulder late afternoon. I had FSD enabled because its rare to see a cyclist at 5-6pm on this road during the work week. They come out on the weekend normally.

Reactions: mangrove79
Luckily Tesla is a company that allows someone to "rent" the feature...very flexible and good for you for giving it the boot.

I don't even use Auto Pilot much as the amount of time I need to let the steering wheel know "I'm still there"...I might as well just steer. I will use the cruise control at highway speed but wish it was better in "stop and go" traffic...as soon as it sees the car in front of me move it starts off way too fast for my liking.
Yeah even the nag to keep your hand on the wheel for autopilot is annoying. It would be amazing without having to do that. Unfortunately idiots and lawyers ruin it for everyone.

Reactions: mangrove79
Yeah even the nag to keep your hand on the wheel for autopilot is annoying. It would be amazing without having to do that. Unfortunately idiots and lawyers ruin it for everyone.
So you agree that if a person maintains full attention at all times to the road, they should not have to have their hand on the wheel? (I think GM does their version of driving assist this way via using the interior camera)

Reactions: Dewg
So you agree that if a person maintains full attention at all times to the road, they should not have to have their hand on the wheel? (I think GM does their version of driving assist this way via using the interior camera)
There should be a better way than requiring steering inputs. Pressure sensors, cameras, something that doesn't require me to put steering pressure in excess of what I would make when the car isn't in autopilot.

There should be a better way than requiring steering inputs. Pressure sensors, cameras, something that doesn't require me to put steering pressure in excess of what I would make when the car isn't in autopilot.
Agreed. There are aftermarket solutions available for those who are paying 100% full attention to the road at all times (like GM requires) that prevent the need for having to perform steering inputs. Dont believe they are out for the X/S Yoke (yet).

It make me appreciate just how much information we humans process without really thinking about it.
+1. I also have a problem with the way that FSD accelerates to max speed after making a turn every time, without any context. Turning from a two-lane curvy road at 30 mph onto a four-lane divided highway at 55? Immediately accelerate to max speed after making the turn (Good). Turning from a four-lane divided highway at 55 onto a two-lane curvy road at 30 mph with a school across the street from a busy gas station? Immediately accelerate to max speed after making the turn (Bad). Human drivers learn to distinguish these two contextually different situations almost immediately.

It also has the object permanence of a 4-month old human. If it approaches a long line of cars at a stop sign coming down a hill or on a curve, it can see that the long line of cars is there and will be content to wait its turn. But if it pulls up too close behind the SUV in front of it, it loses visibility of the long line of cars and immediately decides that SUV must just be parked in an otherwise open road and tries to go around it. One wonders how long it will take before FSD develops this kinds of intuition.

Touch sensor like Audi, BMW, VW and almost every other company is perfect. Feels more natural to hold the wheel while autosteer is active.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Accept if Tesla says they're watching you with the interior camera, people freak out and complain about privacy, even if the data isn't transmitted anywhere. GM does it, and it's okay, I guess?!?

Also - humans are idiots. Use a camera to check if you're paying attention and someone will put on fake glasses with eyeballs so they can "take a nap", causing the car to crash. Or use a dummy in the seat so they can crawl in the back and take a Tik Tok video of the car driving itself while they're in a sleeping bag in the trunk...

And then the public cries foul at crashes that injure or kill someone which could have been prevented had the driver been paying attention and taking over when needed. *sigh*