Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not like other car companies?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does so many great things and in most cases have shied away from sleazy industry practices to make the customer experience as enjoyable as possible. I love it. I have a reservation on a Model 3, and have been toying with the idea to buy an S recently. But, as I start building my Model S online, I get a bad taste in my mouth every time I look at the paint color choices. Why the nickle and diming to get some more cash from us depending on what color we want? We all know that blue isn't any more expensive than white, so why play games? Granted it's less than 1% of the cost of the car with all the options, so not a deal breaker. I just find it a bit off-putting.

Reactions: F123456
It's not unusual for metallic, multi-coat, special coat, etc. paints to be more expensive than standard paints due to added material or application costs.

If you want to talk about actual cost (to Tesla) versus what they are charging retail then I would think you’d have a bigger issue with things like the 60 to 75 range upgrade for $8,500 to $9,000 (USD) for what is little more than a software unlock. However, even here one always needs to keep in mind that retail prices for specific items/features are not always just related to the corresponding cost to the manufacturer.

Last edited:
My only (minor) gripe is that in the showroom there's no indication that the different colors cost different amounts,
so you get "sold" on a color before you know what you're paying for it.
In the showroom there isn't an indication that leather seats cost more than cloth, that dual motor costs more than RWD, or that a 90 costs more than a 60 for that matter. Do you think there should be a price sticker on each color or other option displayed on the wall? That's what the configuration page on the web site is for-- to play around with all the possibilities and see how the price changes.

Reactions: Krugerrand
In the showroom there isn't an indication that leather seats cost more than cloth, that dual motor costs more than RWD, or that a 90 costs more than a 60 for that matter. Do you think there should be a price sticker on each color or other option displayed on the wall? That's what the configuration page on the web site is for-- to play around with all the possibilities and see how the price changes.

The thing is though that you would implicitly think that leather costs more or 90 costs more than 60. But you won't think that blue costs more than white if you've never bought a car before.

Stuff on Amazon don't costs different for different colors. Oh, wait...

A purse doesn't cost ... oh.

An iphone doesn'...

Screw it. Latex paint. Yeah, that's it! Latex paint costs the same no matter what color!

Last edited:
Yes, metallic, multi coat and clearcoat do cost a lot more. Metallic is much harder to lay uniformly and multi coat or clearcoat means that many more times through the line. I know it does sound like nickle and diming us. But it is a way to save money for those less obsessed than I.

I refuse to pay extra for a certain color.
It's all relative. You can look at it as "they should be charging the lesser price for everything and eating the difference for the more
expensive ones", in which case you'd be paying "extra" (in the current scheme), or you can look at it as "they should be charging
the greater price for everything and making extra profit on the less expensive ones", in which case you're getting a "discount" now.

If you want a bad taste in your mouth you should try shopping for a brand new Porsche.

Now I do agree with all your points. and in this regard Tesla is just like any other premium car manufacture. Where by the time you've added the options you suddenly end up with the price in the stratosphere.

Paint, Seats, interior color are things I wish car companies would have built into the cost. So you could optimize it perfectly for what you want, and not your wallet. After all this is a very expensive car to begin with.

Keep in mind with the 60 you'd be hard pressed not to come out on top. They're giving you a lot of the benefits of a bigger battery without charging you for it.

I refuse to pay extra for a certain color.
You're buying a Tesla. What do you expect?

A few months ago I was at my Tesla SC looking at Black vs Metallic Black with my wife. From the square samples they have inside I couldn't tell the difference at all. I couldn't see why one black cost $1000+ more than the other.

MY DS took me outside and luckily found me two side by side. At first, I was still dumbfounded that one cost more than the other until we started looking at dirtier parts of the car. A dirty looking metallic black looks like a clean regular black. That actually sold me. I don't like the look of dirty cars and originally wasn't going to go with black at all.

I've always expected metallics or exotic colors to cost more. Honestly considering the overall price scale of the car, $1000 for a metallic is not bad.

If you ask me, the "Premium package" and leather seating should be standard - with the appropriate base price increase of course. However, they wanted to give people a chance to save money in those areas if desired. At least the safety features are all standard. Most other premium cars are bundling back up cameras and blind spot assistance into $3-5K "driver assistance" packages.

Audi even charges you like $300 for side airbags. Up charging basic safety features? Now THAT leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited: