TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Not like other car companies?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kzod, Jun 15, 2016.

1. kzod

kzod Member

Tesla does so many great things and in most cases have shied away from sleazy industry practices to make the customer experience as enjoyable as possible. I love it. I have a reservation on a Model 3, and have been toying with the idea to buy an S recently. But, as I start building my Model S online, I get a bad taste in my mouth every time I look at the paint color choices. Why the nickle and diming to get some more cash from us depending on what color we want? We all know that blue isn't any more expensive than white, so why play games? Granted it's less than 1% of the cost of the car with all the options, so not a deal breaker. I just find it a bit off-putting.

• Like x 1
  2. ifonul

ifonul Member

That's standard practice, just look at the BMW configurator, metallic paint is $550 extra, "BMW Individual paints" are way more expensive.

3. icdevin

icdevin Member

It would be nice to get some more color choices for those price points, to say the least.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I would have thought the metallic flakes would add more expense, along with the processing to keep them evenly spread through the paint.

5. brkaus

brkaus Member

Metallic paints and multi-coat paints cost more I would believe. Multi-coat takes more time.

Paid more for a metallic color on my bmw.

6. CapeOne

CapeOne Member

#6 CapeOne, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    It's not unusual for metallic, multi-coat, special coat, etc. paints to be more expensive than standard paints due to added material or application costs.

If you want to talk about actual cost (to Tesla) versus what they are charging retail then I would think you’d have a bigger issue with things like the 60 to 75 range upgrade for $8,500 to $9,000 (USD) for what is little more than a software unlock. However, even here one always needs to keep in mind that retail prices for specific items/features are not always just related to the corresponding cost to the manufacturer.

7. csshih

csshih whirrrr

That's not true at all.
    Any additional color they add to their production process adds complexity, which costs them more money. They have to get some return on their investments.

8. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

My only (minor) gripe is that in the showroom there's no indication that the different colors cost different amounts,
    so you get "sold" on a color before you know what you're paying for it.

• Funny x 1
  9. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

In the showroom there isn't an indication that leather seats cost more than cloth, that dual motor costs more than RWD, or that a 90 costs more than a 60 for that matter. Do you think there should be a price sticker on each color or other option displayed on the wall? That's what the configuration page on the web site is for-- to play around with all the possibilities and see how the price changes.

• Like x 1
  10. deonb

deonb Active Member

#10 deonb, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    The thing is though that you would implicitly think that leather costs more or 90 costs more than 60. But you won't think that blue costs more than white if you've never bought a car before.

Stuff on Amazon don't costs different for different colors. Oh, wait...

A purse doesn't cost ... oh.

An iphone doesn'...

Screw it. Latex paint. Yeah, that's it! Latex paint costs the same no matter what color!

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yes, metallic, multi coat and clearcoat do cost a lot more. Metallic is much harder to lay uniformly and multi coat or clearcoat means that many more times through the line. I know it does sound like nickle and diming us. But it is a way to save money for those less obsessed than I.

12. Manny13z

Manny13z Member

I refuse to pay extra for a certain color.

13. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

That's certainly your prerogative. However, since some colors cost Tesla more than others, charging more is quite reasonable IMHO.

14. Manny13z

Manny13z Member

I'm sure you're correct, I just wish you weren't.

15. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

It's all relative. You can look at it as "they should be charging the lesser price for everything and eating the difference for the more
    expensive ones", in which case you'd be paying "extra" (in the current scheme), or you can look at it as "they should be charging
    the greater price for everything and making extra profit on the less expensive ones", in which case you're getting a "discount" now.

16. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

If you want a bad taste in your mouth you should try shopping for a brand new Porsche.

Now I do agree with all your points. and in this regard Tesla is just like any other premium car manufacture. Where by the time you've added the options you suddenly end up with the price in the stratosphere.

Paint, Seats, interior color are things I wish car companies would have built into the cost. So you could optimize it perfectly for what you want, and not your wallet. After all this is a very expensive car to begin with.

Keep in mind with the 60 you'd be hard pressed not to come out on top. They're giving you a lot of the benefits of a bigger battery without charging you for it.

17. SSD420

SSD420 Member

You're buying a Tesla. What do you expect?

A few months ago I was at my Tesla SC looking at Black vs Metallic Black with my wife. From the square samples they have inside I couldn't tell the difference at all. I couldn't see why one black cost $1000+ more than the other.

MY DS took me outside and luckily found me two side by side. At first, I was still dumbfounded that one cost more than the other until we started looking at dirtier parts of the car. A dirty looking metallic black looks like a clean regular black. That actually sold me. I don't like the look of dirty cars and originally wasn't going to go with black at all.

18. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

I remember that Ford didn't always charge extra for different paint colors. You could get any color you wanted, as long as it were black.

19. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

The early model T's actually were available in blue and grey too if I recall correctly ;)

20. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

#20 STbreaker, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    I've always expected metallics or exotic colors to cost more. Honestly considering the overall price scale of the car, $1000 for a metallic is not bad.

If you ask me, the "Premium package" and leather seating should be standard - with the appropriate base price increase of course. However, they wanted to give people a chance to save money in those areas if desired. At least the safety features are all standard. Most other premium cars are bundling back up cameras and blind spot assistance into $3-5K "driver assistance" packages.

Audi even charges you like $300 for side airbags. Up charging basic safety features? Now THAT leaves a bad taste in my mouth.