Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not limited, but rather no regen in cold weather?

dannycamps

Apr 8, 2019
Northeast USA
Hi all,

As I am heading into my first winter with a Model S (had another EV previously), I am aware of the impact of cold weather on the car. One thing I was surprised to see was how limited the regen was.

The other day when I got in my car in the morning (temps in the low 30s - which to be honest is not too cold), I found that the regen wasn't limited - it was effectively non-existent.

Is this a normal thing to see?

IMG_20191113_081816.jpg

Thanks,
-DJ

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
Hi all,

As I am heading into my first winter with a Model S (had another EV previously), I am aware of the impact of cold weather on the car. One thing I was surprised to see was how limited the regen was.

The other day when I got in my car in the morning (temps in the low 30s - which to be honest is not too cold), I found that the regen wasn't limited - it was effectively non-existent.

Is this a normal thing to see?

View attachment 477353

Thanks,
-DJ

That's normal for just starting a drive at that temperature. If you precondition, it will warm up the battery and provide some regen.

Remember, the battery can't accept any charge below 32F.

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
It's a combination of battery charge and temperature. Full batteries and low temperatures significantly reduce regen.
No need to do anything except be aware that you may need additional braking.

Your battery is pretty full, hence your problem.

dannycamps

Apr 8, 2019
Northeast USA
It's a combination of battery charge and temperature. Full batteries and low temperatures significantly reduce regen.
No need to do anything except be aware that you may need additional braking.

Your battery is pretty full, hence your problem.

Thanks. I also have range mode enabled which I am sure has an effect on this as well.

David99

Jan 31, 2014
Brea, Orange County
Thanks. I also have range mode enabled which I am sure has an effect on this as well.

As others have noted, a cold battery can't take much or no charge at all. A high charge level on the battery contributes as well. Range mode is known to limit the power to the battery heater. When the battery is very cold, the battery heater will warm it up using some power. Range Mode will limit that hence the battery will stay cold for longer.

• Helpful
Reactions: dannycamps

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
As others have noted, a cold battery can't take much or no charge at all. A high charge level on the battery contributes as well. Range mode is known to limit the power to the battery heater. When the battery is very cold, the battery heater will warm it up using some power. Range Mode will limit that hence the battery will stay cold for longer.

Seeing that you are from Orange County, I can understand the statement. But from most everywhere else, the statement isn't that true. The difference being is that I believe that you are referring to Supercharging, for which most of the rest of the world doesn't use.

For 240V or 120V charging, the temperature isn't going to be as big of a factor because of the timeframes involved.

David99

Jan 31, 2014
Brea, Orange County
Seeing that you are from Orange County, I can understand the statement. But from most everywhere else, the statement isn't that true. The difference being is that I believe that you are referring to Supercharging, for which most of the rest of the world doesn't use.

For 240V or 120V charging, the temperature isn't going to be as big of a factor because of the timeframes involved.

Just because my profile says I'm currently in OC doesn't mean I don't know winter. I have had several winter in Wisconsin with my Tesla. Where is this assumption coming from that people in California can't see passed their little world? I have worked and lived in 18 different countries. I just happen to be in Cali right now.

I don't know if the statement 'most of the rest o the world isn't using superchargers' is true. :)

Charging is warming up the battery. It doesn't matter what the outdoor temps are. There are charging losses and they warm up the battery. If the battery is too cold, the battery will be heated from the coolant heater (or motor in the Model 3). In any event, in the winter it is best to have the charging session run and finish just before using the car. Whatever heat losses you have, you take advantage of. And in extreme cold, you have the coolant heater help out, also being powered by the grid.

Reactions: CSFTN

Kandiru

Oct 20, 2014
USA
My car is having the battery pack heater replaced as I type now.

Symptoms were:

1. No preconditioning when turning heating on 30min before departure from work, two weeks now.
2. Whirring noise anytime car plugged in inside AC garage, even when not charging, same period.
3. WARNING: "Car need service, car may not restart" lasted 5min on home commute
about a week ago.

FYI #3 will also come on from a variety of causes such as dying 12v, defective battery harness, or failing
motor from reading around.

Regards

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC