Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not missing this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the high fuel taxes result in dramatically better maintained roads or public transportation? Also, do you pay surcharge for annual registration since you don’t pay fuel taxes? Here is GA we get screwed and pay a surcharge that assumed we are driving 20k miles per year in a car that gets 15 miles/gallon.
San Diego...very bad roads, no public transportation in my area, and yes we do pay a surcharge each year with our registration. The taxes go to the valley trolly [miss called high speed rail]

Just finished using the Supercharger in Sorento Valley in San Diego after completing a 500 mile round trip to Santa Barbara and back and saw this - wow:

Total cost for the 500 mile trip in my Model 3: $13 in SC charges. Had I driven my ICE powered SUV, easily would have cost me $120 in fuel costs....!

Outside Philadelphia, premium grade gasoline at Mobil is $3.39/gallon.

Proud to say I voted against it!

Proud to say I voted for it (and I don't like taxes in general). Gas is too cheap, as evidenced by the large SUV/pick up trucks being sitting in traffic commuting to work.

Best idea I've heard would be to have a revenue neutral carbon tax. Tax carbon properly and redistribute the tax proceeds evenly among taxpayers. Then, folks can vote with their pocketbook as to how much carbon they want to emit. Would be simple and efficient.

Proud to say I voted for it (and I don't like taxes in general). Gas is too cheap, as evidenced by the large SUV/pick up trucks being sitting in traffic commuting to work.

Best idea I've heard would be to have a revenue neutral carbon tax. Tax carbon properly and redistribute the tax proceeds evenly among taxpayers. Then, folks can vote with their pocketbook as to how much carbon they want to emit. Would be simple and efficient.
+1 Totally agree this is the best way to tax carbon.

Reactions: electrictorque

Not a bad point, and longer term maybe. But all this would do now is hurt small businesses that rely on gas/diesel. I actually would have been ok with the tax had it not gone into the hell known as the “general fund.” But, I suppose we’re looking at the argument quite differently.

Not a bad point, and longer term maybe. But all this would do now is hurt small businesses that rely on gas/diesel. I actually would have been ok with the tax had it not gone into the hell known as the “general fund.” But, I suppose we’re looking at the argument quite differently.

How poorly taxes are used in CA is a whole other can of worms...

I have to say, when it came time to fire up my snowblower, I did feel a bit sheepish driving to the gas station in my Tesla and then pulling out and filling the little gallon can. Took days for the gasoline stank to fade out of the car. :(
You can now get pretty Pretty good Electric snow blowers. 80V brushless motors. Are used one this winter for our driveway and our neighbors. Same as the Tesla: quiet, no fumes, and no service.

Likely getting a whole EGO setup soon as well. (lawnmower, snowblower, all the accessories) Any other brands to consider or are they still the best as far as battery lawnmowers and snowblowers?

I tried a Greenworks 80V single stage and it worked pretty good up to about 6". So I got a Snow Joe 80V 2 stage self propelled for the deeper stuff. Worked great but is heavy and hard to maneuver around. So a group of neighbors bought it from me and I bought a Snow Joe 100V single stage. It I like. Weighs about 50 pounds less and is easier to maneuver. It can hold 2 100v batteries and as far as I could tell before spring it should be able to last over an hour in 12" snow with both batteries installed. The blades are rubber and do a better job of clearing the path.

Last edited:
Do the high fuel taxes result in dramatically better maintained roads or public transportation? Also, do you pay surcharge for annual registration since you don’t pay fuel taxes? Here is GA we get screwed and pay a surcharge that assumed we are driving 20k miles per year in a car that gets 15 miles/gallon.
I live in GA, too and pay $21 a year for my registration. GA charges $300 for an EV special tag, but it isn’t required unless you use the HOV lanes without a passenger. .

I live in GA, too and pay $21 a year for my registration. GA charges $300 for an EV special tag, but it isn’t required unless you use the HOV lanes without a passenger. .

Is this your first year with the vehicle? It will come due when you renew. There is an annual fee of $212 for EV vehicles “without exception.” Here is a link to the 2019 bulletin but it has been around for a few years. It started at $200 but increases with inflation. It is called a “road use tax.”

https://dor.georgia.gov/sites/dor.georgia.gov/files/related_files/document/LATP/Policy Bulletin/Bulletin - AFV Fees - July 2019.pdf

The alternative fuel tag is an extra $35. I’m not sure where you got the $300. Here is a link explaining.

Alternative Fuel Vehicle License Plates - FAQ | Department of Revenue

I got an EGO snowblower 2 years ago and it works great. I was expecting it to be weak and underpowered but it'll tear through anything, light fluffy snow, thick slushy wet snow, even the big boulders the plows leave at the end of the driveway. Full charge gives me around 45 minutes and that's all I need, but then it takes about 90 minutes to charge back up. Haven't had any big blizzards or any snow more than 8 inches since I got it, but I imagine if I did I would probably go out and clear the snow 2-3 times while it's coming down, so it doesn't get too high, since the blower isn't super tall.

Overall though it's great, and if you get the electric lawn mower too, they can share the same batteries. I'm too allergic to cut grass though, so we just have the snowblower.

• Informative
Reactions: HyperionMark
Maybe. I hope not. I also think not, as it's unlikely that it is profitable to extract oil, transport it, refine it, and transport it again at $1.50 a gallon these days. Plus at $1.50 a gallon people will start buying gas guzzling trucks again and drive up the demand/price. I hope I'm wrong about the second part, and not wrong about the first so that the second part doesn't matter! :)

Well, the WTI price is currently about $1.44/gal, using 45.5gal of product that is made from a 42gal barrel.
That requires piping, refining, transporting and selling.

So, $1.50/gal isn't going to happen right now. Especially with the current US administration trying to knock Iranian crude out of the global market.

• Informative
Reactions: SleeperService
I just renewed my registration. PA hasn't started doing an EV surcharge on the registration yet, but I'm not worried, they will eventually. In the meantime, I'm putting gas tax free miles on the roads, wearing them out! My 3 LR RWD just went over 25,000 miles at 11-1/2 months of time that I have had it. Since last May, I've bought about 5 gallons of gas total, for my lawn mower and generator. It was interesting, standing there at the gas pump for the first time in a few months and having to think again of how to use it!