Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not missing this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely getting a whole EGO setup soon as well. (lawnmower, snowblower, all the accessories) Any other brands to consider or are they still the best as far as battery lawnmowers and snowblowers?

Those EGO mowers are too small for my yard. These look nice: Home - MEAN GREEN MOWERS

That said...I'll probably just keep using my 1972 Cub LoBoy tractor...don't have to mow all that often since I live in the woods.

Do the high fuel taxes result in dramatically better maintained roads or public transportation? Also, do you pay surcharge for annual registration since you don’t pay fuel taxes? Here is GA we get screwed and pay a surcharge that assumed we are driving 20k miles per year in a car that gets 15 miles/gallon.

The state highway system appears to be in good condition with constant construction. Our city maintained roads in San Diego are horrible from years of neglect which they claim to be addressing now. It's appalling.

We don't pay a surcharge...yet. But I believe it's been proposed due to the high rate of EV adoption as well as hybrids.

$200 per year surcharge here. With the amount that I drive (~25 k miles per year) that's less than I would pay in gas taxes driving my old ICE. So I'm cool with it, I DO after all still use the roads!

True, you use the roads. But you don't pollute them like ice cars do. All those fumes people breathe on a freeway trip shorten others lives, increase the cost of health care and cause millions of people to develop lung and breathing problems. The cost of maintaining the roads pales in comparison.

If the gas tax were to be fair to all, it would be around $5/gallon. I think it's appalling that the state politicians have levied taxes on EV's. The feds have it right, they provide EV's with tax incentives, not a disincentive to electrify our nation's transport. With the price of EV's constantly dropping into middle America's affordability range, there should be more tax incentives to switch. The gas tax should go up so they don't have to tax EVs. It's only fair (for the reasons mentioned above). Gas car drivers are getting away with manslaughter! And don't get me wrong, I still have an 18 mpg Ford F-150! I should have to pay to pollute to incentivize me to use the solution that costs society the least.

Do the high fuel taxes result in dramatically better maintained roads or public transportation? Also, do you pay surcharge for annual registration since you don’t pay fuel taxes? Here is GA we get screwed and pay a surcharge that assumed we are driving 20k miles per year in a car that gets 15 miles/gallon.
Haven't been to Georgia lately, but having traveled to Louisiana every year for the last 20 years to visit my wife's relatives, I can definitely say "yes" to better maintained roads in California. Holy hell Louisiana's roads are awful, both in quality and aesthetics (so much garbage on the roads out there).

Reactions: woodguyatl
True, you use the roads. But you don't pollute them like ice cars do. All those fumes people breathe on a freeway trip shorten others lives, increase the cost of health care and cause millions of people to develop lung and breathing problems. The cost of maintaining the roads pales in comparison.

If the gas tax were to be fair to all, it would be around $5/gallon. I think it's appalling that the state politicians have levied taxes on EV's. The feds have it right, they provide EV's with tax incentives, not a disincentive to electrify our nation's transport. With the price of EV's constantly dropping into middle America's affordability range, there should be more tax incentives to switch. The gas tax should go up so they don't have to tax EVs. It's only fair (for the reasons mentioned above). Gas car drivers are getting away with manslaughter! And don't get me wrong, I still have an 18 mpg Ford F-150! I should have to pay to pollute to incentivize me to use the solution that costs society the least.

I 100% agree with everything you are saying. Gas should absolutely be 2-3x what it is here in Indiana right now (between $6 and $9 per gallon rather than ~$3). That's really the only thing that will truly give incentives to clean up our act. Price in the non-obvious, non-instantaneous externalities to fossil fuel consumption and stop subsidizing the offenders. If you took away all the hidden and not-so-hidden subsidies for fossil fuels it would probably get it pretty close without having to add taxes.

All that said: I have fewer problems paying taxes for things that I use and as the place I have to send the check gets closer to where I live. So I have less problems with use taxes and local taxes than I do with state income tax which I hate far less than Federal taxes. /SoapBox

I smile every time I drive by a gas station. I smile a lot. :D

Interesting thing is that I moved after having been driving a LEAF (and wife a Volt, but we only ever filled up out of town on trips). After getting my first LEAF in 2011 I used to monitor the price of gas out of curiosity, but over the years I simply lost interest.

Now that I moved, I don't even know where my nearby gas stations are, and I don't look at the prices at all at the stations I drive by occasionally. It's just a big don't care for me.

Reactions: billh13850
The state highway system appears to be in good condition with constant construction. Our city maintained roads in San Diego are horrible from years of neglect which they claim to be addressing now. It's appalling.

We don't pay a surcharge...yet. But I believe it's been proposed due to the high rate of EV adoption as well as hybrids.
We will start paying an EV surcharge of $100 next year. It'll be tacked on to your registration.

At least there's no smog check! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Runebane
Costs me less than 5 bucks to go from 0 to 100% on my 240v in the garage...at 325 miles for the LR RWD, that would be about 50 bucks to fill up our ICE car at 3.75 a gallon. Literally 10x more expensive. I would imagine, as we see demand for gasoline drop prices will drop significantly...Wouldn't surprise me to see gas in the 1.50 range within 5 years.

Costs me less than 5 bucks to go from 0 to 100% on my 240v in the garage...at 325 miles for the LR RWD, that would be about 50 bucks to fill up our ICE car at 3.75 a gallon. Literally 10x more expensive. I would imagine, as we see demand for gasoline drop prices will drop significantly...Wouldn't surprise me to see gas in the 1.50 range within 5 years.

Maybe. I hope not. I also think not, as it's unlikely that it is profitable to extract oil, transport it, refine it, and transport it again at $1.50 a gallon these days. Plus at $1.50 a gallon people will start buying gas guzzling trucks again and drive up the demand/price. I hope I'm wrong about the second part, and not wrong about the first so that the second part doesn't matter! :)

Actually, I would expect it to be higher. Petro companies need to cover mfg costs and if they can't, they will start shutting down refineries. This will reduce refined supply and the few left will charge more, but not too much more otherwise the small players will start up again. It is a balancing act. The only way it will go down is if oil-rich countries start dumping and create an over-supply - that is the one parameter that can change significantly to impact price.

But unless there is some major catastrophic change, expect gas companies to be around for at least another 25 years if not more selling petro products while they also branch out to EV charging as well (as Shell is already doing).

I just completed a 1,000 mile round-trip drive from Orange County, Ca to San Jose to Calistoga, and back. I didn't have to pay for my fuel and our resort had destination chargers (courtesy Maybach shuttle and a fleet of MB AMGs for loaner vehicles). It would have cost about $85 in fuel had we taken our old VW Golf TDI, $240 in our Duramax, and about a month of charging time (if it's even possible) in our 83-ranged mile level 2 capable Fiat 500e...gotta love the Supercharger network.

We planned it out to get from charger to charger with 8-12% battery remaining. Fortunately all the 120kW charging lots were less than 30% occupied saving us a lot of time despite our <170 projected mile range between recharging stops.