Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Much Driving These Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I am part of the WFH brigade and doing very little driving, my car is sitting in the driveway plugged in with a state of charge set at 50%.

That is enough if I need to go do a little shopping or pick something up but it could be several days in between driving so after returning from my Sunday trip out to London, ON, when I got home I charged up to 50% and leaving it there.

Reactions: lupend88
Anybody notice how crystal clear the air is these days. With fewer cars/trucks/busses on the road the air has gotten noticibly fresher smelling. Almost like I got new glasses.

Also notice how much quieter things are without the constant low drone of traffic off in the distance.

Gives a preview on how pristine the earth will be when gassers get totally banned from our communities.

Cops are complaining that people are going crazy with speed on the wide open freeways. See lots of roll overs and drivers going over 100 mph. Cops were taken off the highways to do more critical patrols, but are now being brought back to focus of speeders.
Be Careful out there!

I am keeping my Tesla charged to at least 80% incase an emergency comes up where I need to be somewhere in a hurry.
Optimizing Battery health is of low concern to me right now.

Reactions: jpfive
What's appropriate and reasonable for daily charging is not the same as for long-term storage. Unfortunately Tesla provides no specific guidance on optimum storage conditions.

There have been many storage threads over the years and understandably a few recently. Here's a recent one:

Quarantined charging habits?

That's a great thread. Thx. (I was just trying to generate some discussion while waiting for the Minister of Finance (Canada) to release some updated proposals - bumped to tomorrow). No need to keep this thread in parallel.

What's appropriate and reasonable for daily charging is not the same as for long-term storage. Unfortunately Tesla provides no specific guidance on optimum storage conditions.

There have been many storage threads over the years and understandably a few recently. Here's a recent one:

Model 3 Manual: "Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks."

Model 3 Manual: "Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks."
Exactly. The next sentence in the manual is important: "When plugged in, Model 3 wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery." Basically what they're directing owners to do is plug it in to ensure the car's vampire drain, which used to be much worse than it is recently, does not leave the battery at 0% SOC. That will quickly destroy the battery's life.

They say what to do to avoid bricking the battery, but Tesla doesn't state the actual optimal storage conditions. "Plugged in" is insufficient to define this. I hope people recognize that battery lifetime is generally dependent on, among other things, average SoC and average temperature. Likewise, I hope we can agree that there are gentler storage conditions than 90% SOC and 110 deg F.

m8eRS4J.png

Did you check the owner’s manual under charging procedures during worldwide isolation periods?