Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not one. But two flats.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Both the passenger side. 20” Performance wheels. Tesla roadside got me a tow to my house in 45ish minutes. I had to swap the 20s out for 2 of my 18” TST winter set.

I do have one question about this. Would there be any issues driving 10 miles with the 20s on the left side and the 18s on the right?

20s are OEM sized 235/35/20
18s are 235/50/18

I just need to get to the tire shop to get two new tires. Unfortunately the soonest I could get an appointment is Wednesday the 10th.

If it's OK to drive on one of those silly temporary spares to get the tire store, I don't see why this would be a problem.

The 10th? You're willing to wait a week before you can drive your car again?

Well the tires had to be ordered. “3-5 days” and today being a holiday. It is what it is.

Yeah going to drive a bit around the neighborhood to see how the car reacts. Just wanted to know if anyone has found themselves in this situation. Guess I’ll be the guinea pig.

Normally it is best to have matching tires on each axle, especially if it is a drive axle. Sounds like you have dual motor, so both axles are drive axles. Might be best to put same size on each axle or put your 18" tires on all around and have full use of the car. Fortunate you have extra set of tires handy that you can use.

If you do end up being guinea pig with different tires on each side, let us know how it goes.

Reactions: TheLocNar
I’m no expert but it does sound like bent rims causing the leak. Do you remember hitting anything or potholes? Hopefully not and you just need new rubber but who knows. Get them checked out and let us know. Best of luck and hopefully the cheapest of outcomes.

Ski

I fee your pain. I've also had 2 flats (separate occasions) on my 20” Performance wheels since taking ownership. Haven't had a flat in at least 10 - 15 years, but now I've got 2 under my belt within the past 6 months. Still worth it to me though to have the 20's + performance power rather than Aero's + basic AWD.

Ok, update. I never did have the time to switch the 18s to the rear. My tires came in yesterday, and they actually called me. Shocker! lol

No bent rims. Phew.

So, I drove just short of 10 miles to the shop. Car was a little squirrely due to the very worn down Blizzaks in 90 degree weather, but nothing bad. No problems to report about my main concern (AWD drivetrain issues). Don't think I would drive on 2 different size wheels on one side for too long anyways though. But for a 10 mile emergency trip, happy to report no issues.

One interesting thing. On my way home, I did get my car screaming at me as far as emergency braking/regenerative braking/auto pilot/safety features etc. etc. All those warnings came up as if I got a bad software update from months ago. Resetting/Relearning TMPS didn't help at this point. I made it home without any problems anyways. I remember one of the Discount Tire guys mentioning that the car might flip out having more than 4 TMPS sensors in range that have been previously paired with the car. Not sure if removing the 2 winters from the car once I got home cleared it up, or if fully powering down the car is what did it. Or it could have been 20.4.4 which I installed while I was letting it sit for awhile powered down. Anyways, all the warnings cleared about 2 hours later when I went back out again. The car did notify me about wheel size this time, and selecting 20" got rid of the TMPS warning. All is good now.

Reactions: elf9 and Skione65