Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Quite Square Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi from Yokohama!

Been reading a LOT of threads about wheels and tires for my coming Model Y Performance. I want a Long Range for long range, but not available in Japan, and no hint that it may be coming. I am now driving a M3SR+, and it's just not enough range for wife and I to go where we want, and the extra 100km should help ... until Supercharger Stations are placed where we want them. But my reason for changing wheels and tires are not primarily for added range, so wanted to ask for thoughts as they might apply to my thoughts ... please.

The 21" UberTurbines are prone to curb-rash and low-profile tires prone to puncture. Japan has some pretty rough roads, and parking situations are atrocious. Keeping those for trade-in time, and getting a less-expensive, taller wheelset makes sense to me. While I'm sure my wife and I will use some of that amazing acceleration, I sincerely doubt we will explore the lateral grip all that much.

I've concluded that a set of sturdy 19X8.5J wheels will support the rather heavy car, and 255/45 tires might help rubber to be the "first responder" to curbs. I am looking at TOYO Proxes Sport SUV tires, 104Y load rating, good rolling resistance, and wear characteristics. But I noticed that they have a 275/45 108Y tire in the same line, that can be fitted to an 8.5J wheel. I know this will prevent me from "X" rotating the tires, but a bit more meat in the back will certainly help with curbs and the ubiquitous parking machines that also attack protruding wheels.

What do you think? Squared wheels, but larger rear tires ... any problems?

Appreciate your comments

cj

Put the 275's on all four corners unless someone here says they won't fit... I think with the proper offset on the wheels you would be fine.

What charging standard do non-Tesla EV's use in Japan? CHAdeMO? CCS1? (North America) CCS2? (Europe). If there are non-Tesla DC Fast chargers available along your route there are adapters for all three of those standards to allow you to charge if needed... not sure if your M3SR+ is CCS capable though.

Keith

Put the 275's on all four corners unless someone here says they won't fit... I think with the proper offset on the wheels you would be fine.

What charging standard do non-Tesla EV's use in Japan? CHAdeMO? CCS1? (North America) CCS2? (Europe). If there are non-Tesla DC Fast chargers available along your route there are adapters for all three of those standards to allow you to charge if needed... not sure if your M3SR+ is CCS capable though.

Keith
Hey @Fourdoor, thanks for the reply. Once upon a time I’d want as much rubber as possible, but now wanting light, nimble and range. 255 on 8.5J square is the minimum recommended, I just wondered if a bit more meat on the back might work for longevity.

CHAdeMO is the most common for anything remotely fast, but that “bazooka” adapter is incredibly expensive, and many of the fast charging stations require a subscription. We don’t go out of town enough to warrant the adapter, plus registration fee and monthly fee. The MYP should get us where we have planned for the foreseeable future,

cheers!

Hey @Fourdoor, thanks for the reply. Once upon a time I’d want as much rubber as possible, but now wanting light, nimble and range. 255 on 8.5J square is the minimum recommended, I just wondered if a bit more meat on the back might work for longevity.

CHAdeMO is the most common for anything remotely fast, but that “bazooka” adapter is incredibly expensive, and many of the fast charging stations require a subscription. We don’t go out of town enough to warrant the adapter, plus registration fee and monthly fee. The MYP should get us where we have planned for the foreseeable future,

cheers!

If you don't want to go with the 275's all around I would go with the 255 all around, plenty of grip (stock width on the non-performance MY) and with the 8.5" rim the 255 should provide curb rash protection.

Keith

• Helpful
Reactions: charisjapan
I don't see how staggered tire configuration can cause you any problems since it is pretty much default setup for MYP just on a smaller wheels.
+1 @buddhafree

I don't think there's anything exactly bad about staggered (Isosceles Trapezium?) setup. Most seem to like square for rotation-ability and balance at track speeds, neither of which bother me much.

Other than a bit more meat in the back and slight oversteer, the larger tire will raise the rear a bit ... back to where it was. The Performance is a bit lowered, and further lowering just the back might 1) make the stance a bit weird and 2) make it 6mm more liable to bottom. My Tesla guy says the difference is minimal, but 6mm can mean the difference between bottoming and NOT bottoming. When I get the car in Feb/Mar, will certainly take some measurements!

cheers

Other than a bit more meat in the back and slight oversteer, the larger tire will raise the rear a bit ... back to where it was. The Performance is a bit lowered, and further lowering just the back might 1) make the stance a bit weird and 2) make it 6mm more liable to bottom. My Tesla guy says the difference is minimal, but 6mm can mean the difference between bottoming and NOT bottoming. When I get the car in Feb/Mar, will certainly take some measurements!

cheers
I think staggered vs not-stagerred won't have meaningful affect on overall clearance since the front will be the limiting factor. You could get 50 profile instead of 45 to raise the car 1/2 inch.
1669506833552.png

I think staggered vs not-stagerred won't have meaningful affect on overall clearance since the front will be the limiting factor. You could get 50 profile instead of 45 to raise the car 1/2 inch.
View attachment 878600

Good point, but TOYO doesn't make a 275/50. Nobody (so far) has been able to tell me if the MYP is lowered perfectly flat. If it IS flat with the staggered OEM, then going square will lower the rear approximately 6mm. That's why I'll need to make some measurements when the car arrives. That small amount will probably not be visible to the eye, but a bump will, haha!

Good point, but TOYO doesn't make a 275/50. Nobody (so far) has been able to tell me if the MYP is lowered perfectly flat. If it IS flat with the staggered OEM, then going square will lower the rear approximately 6mm. That's why I'll need to make some measurements when the car arrives. That small amount will probably not be visible to the eye, but a bump will, haha!
I didn't measure but to my eyes MYP has a slight cheetah stance with staggered setup. I'm pretty sure they lowered front and rear suspension equally. Many people used the same size tires on all 4 corners and the car looks flat.

• Helpful
Reactions: charisjapan
I didn't measure but to my eyes MYP has a slight cheetah stance with staggered setup. I'm pretty sure they lowered front and rear suspension equally. Many people used the same size tires on all 4 corners and the car looks flat.
I have nothing against cheetahs! ;)

Fortunately, there's a RAYS specialty shop nearby that also carries TOYO tires, I'll ask what he thinks. But he admits he's never shoed a Tesla.

cheers

Reactions: buddhafree