TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Not safe to charge in the rain?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by hemants, Jul 7, 2017.

1. hemants

hemants Member

Left my car on charger for 2 weeks. When I came back the charge port was shot and there were drops of water in the LED.

The tech who came to my house to remove the UMC cable said there were heavy rains during that time and that it seemed that water got in and caused problems. There were visible drops of water in the led. (led was red and UMC wouldn't release despite clicking)

Got the charge port replaced as well as the cable connecting the charge port.

When I asked the service tech about charging in the rain here was said that upon inspection that the corrosion on the charge port and cable were NOT caused by rain and that the drops in the LED were likely due to heat and condensation.

Not sure what to think but it does present reasonable concern for those of us who leave our car out in rain and snow (especially in Canada!)

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Interesting... I can think of two things. Perhaps nice to have the 'slope' be downhill, but it's not. And water then going 'in' could perhaps have an outlet inside; is there one? The actual contacts are pretty protected as long as water coming in has an outlet and can't build up inside the port.

3. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Glad you got the issue fixed, Hemants. You may be interested to know that there's a wireless solution available for outdoor and indoor charging called Plugless Power. For more information, check out Meet Plugless | The Wireless EV Charging Station.

Also next time (and assuming you don't yet have Plugless Power by then), rather than leaving your charging cable unattended outdoors for two weeks, another option would be to charge to 60% and leave the car unplugged. The car should be fine, just enable Energy Saving, set Always connected to off and Range Mode to off as well.

• Informative x 1