Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not seen a Snow Flake on Battery yet this winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
On the Model 3 any time it was steadily below 30F You could start to see a blue Snowflake portion of your battery. This basically indicated that much batter range was locked out from being used until the battery warms up (which typically didn’t take long). This was completely I dependent of regen limitations.

It would show up on the main screen in the car as well as the charge screen in the car and in the mobile app.

On the Model X I’ve yet to see a snow flake. And the X was outside overnight at around 4F and still no snow flake.

Do the S/X cars not do the snowflake thing?

In 2018 I have seen it on my MX when it was first announced as a feature of the mobile app.
This winter I also have not seen it. I was parked at 4k ft at 22 deg. overnight recently, and I was looking for the snowflake... not seen it yet. Anyone else?
-TechVP

On the Model 3 any time it was steadily below 30F You could start to see a blue Snowflake portion of your battery. This basically indicated that much batter range was locked out from being used until the battery warms up (which typically didn’t take long). This was completely I dependent of regen limitations.

It would show up on the main screen in the car as well as the charge screen in the car and in the mobile app.

On the Model X I’ve yet to see a snow flake. And the X was outside overnight at around 4F and still no snow flake.

Do the S/X cars not do the snowflake thing?

S/X have different battery management systems than a 3. On the S and X there is a heater. The 3 uses waste heat from the motor to heat the battery coolant.

My understanding on the S and X the only time you see the snowflake is when the coolant temp is still low after some amount of heating.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
I only see the snowflake when I precondition the my X. It takes a minute or two before appearing.
This is my experience as well with the MX. Snowflake (not blue) when battery is being preconditioned. Temp outside now is 39° F. It was a little colder last night and I left my car outside. It took 1-2 minutes for the battery and snowflake to appear.
1796DC7C-BDDF-4A6E-BE2D-3976FFB30340.png

This is my experience as well with the MX. Snowflake (not blue) when battery is being preconditioned. Temp outside now is 39° F. It was a little colder last night and I left my car outside. It took 1-2 minutes for the battery and snowflake to appear. View attachment 503547

That is NOT the snowflake I'm referring to. That is the battery heater.

This is the "blue snowflake" from a Model 3. It will also show up on the main screen next to your battery Icon. Charging screen and the Mobile App. I think the picture below is the Setting Charge Limit on the Mobile App. Basically any where is shows green for capacity it will show partially blue for lack of capacity due to a cold battery.

It indicates that you do not have the range proportional to the size of the blue bar available.

Tesla-blue-battery-with-snowflake-1.png

Last edited:
The 3 uses waste heat from the motor to heat the battery coolant.

That's very useful to know, I thought it heated the batteries like the S and X. That explains why it takes so long to go away - it's usually there for 20 minutes or so until I can get a few miles on the freeway in.

Also, I live in San Diego and it hasn't fallen below 45 where I live. I've seen the snowflake icon plenty of times - I can only imagine how it is for people who live in colder climates.

That's very useful to know, I thought it heated the batteries like the S and X. That explains why it takes so long to go away - it's usually there for 20 minutes or so until I can get a few miles on the freeway in.

Also, I live in San Diego and it hasn't fallen below 45 where I live. I've seen the snowflake icon plenty of times - I can only imagine how it is for people who live in colder climates.

Yep. Here in *cold* (down to 35, ha!) NorCal our 3 show regen limited longer than our X. On the other hand, the cold seems to effect the 3's range less than it does the X.

Just to avoid confusion the "snowflake" you're referring to is the battery heater snowflake. Not the Blue Limited Range Snowflake on the Charging Screens.

Yep. Here in *cold* (down to 35, ha!) NorCal our 3 show regen limited longer than our X. On the other hand, the cold seems to effect the 3's range less than it does the X.

35F is balmy. Try 4F.

Have not seen any regen in weeks. Only after supercharging.

I agree 3 is quite a bit different than X. Which is why I asked if people have seen the blue snowflake on the Model X. Sometimes I'd have a blue snowflake on the Model 3 and still have most of my regen !! And other times have no regen but no blue snowflake. Partly depended on state of charge. Low SOC could have bleu snowflake and plenty of regen. High state of charge could have very low regen and no snow flake (even when not above 80%).