Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not selecting my drivers profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ve had our model 3 for nearly 3 years, and I think it’s only been doing this for the last few months. It is really infuriating me and I don’t know how to resolve this. More often than not, my wife drives the car. Whenever I open the car, the drive settings always defaults to my wife’s setting, even if I am the only one approaching the car with my phone, with my wife’s phone not in the vicinity. How to I set the car up so it will recognise my wife’s phone and my phone are two different phones and therefore changing the driver’s profile accordingly?

Mine is 100% of the time going to my wife’s profile. I could be driving the car without my wife after changing the driver’s profile to mine, stopping the car to get out for a brief moment, and upon returning and opening the door the profile would be set to my wife’s. Every single time. I don’t have the actual key, only my iPhone and the Tesla card.

Been noticing this myself. I drove our MY most time (ok fine, all the time)… but this morning, i drove out of the garage, stop infront of the house to get mail before i leave, and when I got back, it defaulted to the mrs’ profile. It’s happening more frequent now too

It sounds like the cars have lost the plot about which profiles your keys are connected to.

Maybe try unlinking them and relinking them to your profiles.

Driver Profiles | Model Y Owner's Manual

Linking a Driver Profile to a Key​

You can link a driver profile to a key (or keys) to allow Model Y to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door.
To link a driver profile to a key, first ensure you are using your desired driver profile, then touch Controls > Locks > Keys. You can toggle the driver icon to link or delete a key to the desired driver profile. The name of the driver profile appears under the key to show that it is linked.

I've got issues with the 3 and Y having very different seating positions, and the link to my profile trying to apply the same seating position to both cars. In the 3 you sit a lot lower, the seat position relative to the steering wheel and pedals is very different to the Y.

That they implemented this feature and never considered that it wouldn't work to apply the same seat settings across different model Teslas is a miss.