Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sleeping while parked at airport...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on vacation this week in Mexico, and my 2019 S is parked at the airport. I turned off Sentry before I left, I'm not certain whether I turned off summon standby, but my car has been sleeping regularly every night at home and other places even with it on, so not sure that's the culprit. But my car has been losing about 5-6% per day while I'm here.

I turned off TeslaFi's logging right before I left, even though it hasn't caused issues with its sleep schedule, and checked the app once after 2 days to find I'd lost 11%. So I turned logging back on in an attempt to figure out what's going on. The pattern has continued with no sleep whatsoever.

One thing I noticed is that my interior temp is staying at about 54 degrees F even though the outdoor temp is between 32 and 39 each night/day.

Is there some setting that's causing the car to stay awake to monitor the temp and control it? Overheat protection is probably on, but that only lasts the first day and it's obviously not too hot. Could summon standby be causing it to keep the cabin warm-ish? I wish there was some way to turn that off or turn the car off remotely.

At this rate I should still be able to get home when I return but it's nerve wracking. I've never had this much drain even when I had TeslaFi or my app pinging the car, so it seems much worse than just being awake - I'm suspecting that it's using energy overnight to keep the car warm in the cold weather, which is the only thing "new" - temps have dropped recently at home.

Thoughts?

This has been a repeated topic for years. Stop checking your car for at least 4 days. Every time you check on it, you are telling it to stay on and keep updating the app. It won't deep sleep unless it is left alone. When you aprk at the airport, turn off remote access and enable all power savings so this isn't a possibility. Tesla might well be drawing more power on recent firmware but the underlying issue is you are keeping it awake.

Happened to me recently. Lost something like 40% in one week! Found out that standby was on for smart summon. I never turned it on, and I thought the default was off...but maybe not?? It's been much better (back to normal) since I disabled standby.

And though I agree that not checking your car, turning off remote access, etc., will reduce loss, I'm not sure it's really necessary in most cases. I have a home grown system collecting my car's stats every hour 24x7. I don't do anything special when I park at the airport and normally when I've went on trips before, I get ~1% per day loss depending on temps, which seems reasonable.

This has been a repeated topic for years. Stop checking your car for at least 4 days. Every time you check on it, you are telling it to stay on and keep updating the app. It won't deep sleep unless it is left alone. When you aprk at the airport, turn off remote access and enable all power savings so this isn't a possibility. Tesla might well be drawing more power on recent firmware but the underlying issue is you are keeping it awake.

This is not the issue. My car always falls asleep within expected times, and I waited 2 days before checking. Your post is incorrect that it would stay awake for two days and lose 11% with zero activity thinking I might check it. Something else is causing the car not to sleep and to use excessive power. But thanks for assuming I don't know what I'm talking about and not reading my full post. I also get tired of seeing the same questions and complaints here by new owners so I get it.

Happened to me recently. Lost something like 40% in one week! Found out that standby was on for smart summon. I never turned it on, and I thought the default was off...but maybe not?? It's been much better (back to normal) since I disabled standby.

And though I agree that not checking your car, turning off remote access, etc., will reduce loss, I'm not sure it's really necessary in most cases. I have a home grown system collecting my car's stats every hour 24x7. I don't do anything special when I park at the airport and normally when I've went on trips before, I get ~1% per day loss depending on temps, which seems reasonable.

Thanks for the feedback. This is my theory as well, that it's keeping the car both awake and conditioned, so the combination of summon standby and cold weather is incompatible. I've never had drain this significant even with TeslaFi, frequent app checking etc. Seems like a bug or design flaw in the standby feature. I'll do some testing when I'm home leaving it overnight unplugged now that the weather has turned and try to confirm.