Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not so sure anymore if I should get the P100D when I read all these threads...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm about to lease a P100D ($150,000) and I'm exited about it. Well, I was...until I started doing my research. I'm unsure for a couple reasons. The main reason is the delay of AP update info. IMHO this tweet by the CEO was completely unprofessional. But what's worse is that no one followed up that tweet. Or have you guys heard from anyone at Tesla? I'm not interested in the car at all if Autopilot will be limited in the update.
The way Tesla handles their news releases is more amateur than a 3 person web design shop. What are they thinking? Is it a bunch of millennials playing Pokemon all day? Certainly not the head PR guy, because he left yesterday...
How about a courtesy update?

Another reason is the switch from being a long time BMW, Mercedes, Porsche customer and about the Tesla customer service experience. I have read many scary reports of customers whose Teslas are in repair for weeks and weeks, and they get handed some shitty rental car and are told to wait....

When I buy a $150k Mercedes or BMW, then I get extremely good treatment. I get a luxury car as a loaner, they even drive me home, and so on. The car will be fixed the fastest time possible and even hardcore problems don't take longer than a week to get fixed. Their parts system is superb, their logistics work and I have my car back in no time. In the meantime I have an equally good car from the same manufacturer at my disposal. Every single time.
The service is very good with a car in the 50's k price range, and superb in the 150k range. It's like getting a room in a grand hotel. You are getting VIP treatment if you spend the money for the top suite.

Not to with Tesla. Tesla treats everyone the same, they told me. Sounds great, but this means that p100D owners don't get superior but only mediocre service, otherwise it's not sustainable.
As an example, I still need to pay $100 for Tesla to tow my 150k Tesla to service. And I don't get a comparable luxury Tesla, no, some freaking Enterprise rental car, even though I bought a $150,000 ultra luxury car. And it truly is, because the interior of the 150k Models is, except the seats no different than the 70k Models S. Which is ridiculous imho...

Not only do I get premium service with the Euro Car Companies, but I also get amazing lifestyle offers. As an example, I own a BMW I8, with the I8 came a special club membership that offers amazing events every month. From guest access Coachella and racing at the nearby racetrack to America's cup VIP access to Art Basel Miami access. It's awesome. But that's a whole different story...

To make the long story short, I'm ok to drive a 150k car that has the interior of a 40k car and maybe not exactly the service standard of other manufacturers, as long as I have the current AP in it ( I go skiing every weekend and just want to be a passive driver on the 4 hour *sugar* show back home ).
Owners of P90D who have had other luxury cars before, how satisfied are you with the Tesla ownership when it comes to repair, maintenance,.,. Is it as bad as I think it is, do you have regrets or are you happy, maybe happier than with your former BMW, Mercedes, whatever. Thanks ;O)

So, I'm about to lease a P100D ($150,000) and I'm exited about it. Well, I was...until I started doing my research. I'm unsure for a couple reasons. The main reason is the delay of AP update info. IMHO this tweet by the CEO was completely unprofessional. But what's worse is that no one followed up that tweet. Or have you guys heard from anyone at Tesla? I'm not interested in the car at all if Autopilot will be limited in the update.
The way Tesla handles their news releases is more amateur than a 3 person web design shop. What are they thinking? Is it a bunch of millennials playing Pokemon all day? Certainly not the head PR guy, because he left yesterday...

Another reason is the switch from being a long time BMW, Mercedes, Porsche customer and about the Tesla customer service experience. I have read many scary reports of customers whose Teslas are in repair for weeks and weeks, and they get handed some shitty rental car and are told to wait....

When I buy a $150k Mercedes or BMW, then I get extremely good treatment. I get a luxury car as a loaner, they even drive me home, and so on. The car will be fixed the fastest time possible and even hardcore problems don't take longer than a week to get fixed. Their parts system is superb, their logistics work and I have my car back in no time. In the meantime I have an equally good car from the same manufacturer at my disposal. Every single time.
The service is very good with a car in the 50's k price range, and superb in the 150k range. It's like getting a room in a grand hotel. You are getting VIP treatment if you spend the money for the top suite.

Not to with Tesla. Tesla treats everyone the same, they told me. Sounds great, but this means that p100D owners don't get superior but only mediocre service, otherwise it's not sustainable.
As an example, I still need to pay $100 for Tesla to tow my 150k Tesla to service. And I don't get a comparable luxury Tesla, no, some freaking Enterprise rental car, even though I bought a $150,000 ultra luxury car. And it truly is, because the interior of the 150k Models is, except the seats no different than the 70k Models S. Which is ridiculous imho...

Not only do I get premium service with the Euro Car Companies, but I also get amazing lifestyle offers. As an example, I own a BMW I8, with the I8 came a special club membership that offers amazing events every month. From guest access Coachella and racing at the nearby racetrack to America's cup VIP access to Art Basel Miami access. It's awesome. But that's a whole different story...

To make the long story short, I'm ok to drive a 150k car that has the interior of a 40k car and maybe not exactly the service standard of other manufacturers, as long as I have the current AP in it ( I go skiing every weekend and just want to be a passive driver on the 4 hour *sugar* show back home ).
Owners of P90D who have had other luxury cars before, how satisfied are you with the Tesla ownership when it comes to repair, maintenance,.,. Is it as bad as I think it is, do you have regrets or are you happy, maybe happier than with your former BMW, Mercedes, whatever. Thanks ;O)

Tesla’s Head of Communications departs

They do have a 3-4 person PR department so you are not far off. I knew more than my OA about the car.

There are trade offs. There's a different set of exclusivity that tesla has over others (at least for one more year). Have to make your choice.

Good thing is you have 1 week of trouble free decision time and 1-2 month of decision time that will only cost you $2500. Which is about 4 hours of deprecation in the first week. So in big picture not that much.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
What you said is basically accurate. It's something I get annoyed with, especially since we bought two $120k+ Teslas over the course of 24 months. Many here will tell you that Tesla isn't a luxury car company, don't expect things you'd get from Mercedes or BMW. I was pretty disappointed when they gave us a bottom of the barrel rental car when our P85D was in for service.

If you're an EV fan, you get a lot in exchange for your money with Tesla. The technology is cutting edge and the performance is outstanding. But you do not get a premium car company experience with Tesla. If that's a top priority, you will not be happy with the P100D.

• Disagree
Reactions: imherkimer
@Seashepherd
I understand your point. But I do have to say the service was better two years ago when I bought my P85+. It was the top model at the time and I continue to be very satisfied with it. Tesla service and support are top notch for all models. That is why they maintain a net promoter score of 96.5. Much higher than Apple and Disney that are known for their high customer satisfaction.

The issue all owners now face is the diluting of Tesla resources against a broader fleet of Teslas on the road. We see it in cues at Superchargers, delays at Service Centers to get appointments and many other areas where volume has outpaced resources. It's too bad, because it was better two years ago. Will it get better? Anyone's call. But Tesla is taking steps like making Supercharging an option on future vehicles. And I am sure they will be taking other steps to continue service levels even though the fleet volume outpaces resources.

As far as better treatment with a higher priced Tesla? Not really. They treat all customers the same and attempt to achieve high standards. Their benchmark is Apple, Disney, etc. Far higher than any ICE manufacturer.

What are your expectations/worries about the AP update? That they'll remove features?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Yes, there are some major issues.

My dad almost sold his two P85Ds and cancelled his 2 model 3 orders today after the lousy service getting his new tires installed.

But - I still have to say it is the best car I have ever owned and the one I like driving the most. Way better than my Mercedes or BMW.

My Las Vegas service center experiences have been flawless. Much better than any BMW or merc stealer "dealer" experience I have ever had. You will not be disappointed. Sad to see a few placing giving out ice loaners :/ I have never gotten anything but a nearly fully loaded model s loaner every time I've been to my sc.

Thanks so far, very informative!!
I'm too very concerned about Teslas ability so scale, and I forgot to mention this concern. That's why I want to do the 2 year lease. This way I can change back to a BMW, whatever, as my ski mobile ( hopefully by then they have Ap, too) in case *sugar* hits the fence with Tesla flooding the market with bargain priced S's and the 3's. Here in Colorado we only have one supercharger between Denver and Vail as far as I know, and I haven't heard of any effort to bring in more soon. I expect waiting lines already this winter...

Yes Alketi,I'm afraid Tesla will dial back the Ap. They gave me a p90d for a weekend to test. I drove it up to Vail, and it was a game changer because of the AP. On the way up I drove fast, in AP, but hand right at steering wheel. On the way back, in crawling heavy traffic it was absolutely fantastic to let go off the steering wheel and to relax...

Time is ticking, I only have until the 12th to decide on the lease according to Tesla...;O)

Reactions: Ormond

I hear it varies somewhat service center to service center. Sadly, it doesn't appear they all give 5 star service. I have been very happy with my experience. I had a minor issue with my car late on a Sunday night. They DROVE to MY house with a Tesla loaner and showed up at almost midnight. Took my car, left the loaner, fixed it over night, and swapped it back with me at 7am so I wouldn't be late for work Monday morning. It was all done in less than 8 hours from initial call. This was a few months ago, earlier this year. Do other car companies fix cars in the middle of the night on the weekend? I've always had a Tesla loaner and they seem to know me by name at the service center. I've never bought another $100k + car, but then again, I've never had this good of service with anyone else. I'm sure there are things others do that Tesla doesn't and that may rub some folks the wrong way; however, I've yet to enjoy driving another car as much as I love this Tesla. It's not perfect, and it's lacking in some areas, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else at this point...

I hear it varies somewhat service center to service center. Sadly, it doesn't appear they all give 5 star service. I have been very happy with my experience. I had a minor issue with my car late on a Sunday night. They DROVE to MY house with a Tesla loaner and showed up at almost midnight. Took my car, left the loaner, fixed it over night, and swapped it back with me at 7am so I wouldn't be late for work Monday morning. It was all done in less than 8 hours from initial call. This was a few months ago, earlier this year. Do other car companies fix cars in the middle of the night on the weekend? I've always had a Tesla loaner and they seem to know me by name at the service center. I've never bought another $100k + car, but then again, I've never had this good of service with anyone else. I'm sure there are things others do that Tesla doesn't and that may rub some folks the wrong way; however, I've yet to enjoy driving another car as much as I love this Tesla. It's not perfect, and it's lacking in some areas, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else at this point...
Pretty amazing story.

But why does service center know your name. Numerous repairs or regular service? If I got a tesla loaner all the time I literally would enjoy my car getting worked on, but closest SC is 3 hrs away.

Yes Alketi,I'm afraid Tesla will dial back the Ap. They gave me a p90d for a weekend to test. I drove it up to Vail, and it was a game changer because of the AP. On the way up I drove fast, in AP, but hand right at steering wheel. On the way back, in crawling heavy traffic it was absolutely fantastic to let go off the steering wheel and to relax...
Seashepherd, you can read about the Autopilot 8.0 information leak here, including added features and a short description of the improvements. The only negative thing about AP 8.0 that's leaked thus far is that Tesla will temporarily disable the feature if the driver ignores the warnings to keep their hands on the wheel. This will be done in order to prevent people from sleeping/not paying attention.

Exclusive on Tesla 8.0 update: new Autopilot features, biggest UI refresh since launch and much more

There's also a long thread about it here. Get started -- you have till Monday at midnight to finish reading. :)

Firmware 8.0 information leak

Musk is the only person I follow on Twitter. To your criticism, he has a bad habit of giving specific deadlines in advance, like "this weekend", or "today", when he should just say "soon". So, he always misses those specific deadlines because, running two companies, something unexpected always comes up, like a production issue, or the rocket explosion last week. That said, there has been no one like him since I've been alive, and that includes Steve Jobs. Leaving aside the vision, the daring, and pursuit of world-changing technology, he's risked his personal fortune for his companies at least twice. Tesla, more so than any other company, perhaps in modern history, is in line to disrupt three industries at once. They just need to execute.

BTW, a 2-year lease would work out well as I think 2018 is shaping up to be an automotive inflection point, and just speaking for Tesla, their next-gen autopilot will be the showstopper and will almost certainly ship sometime before July of next year.

Pretty amazing story.

But why does service center know your name. Numerous repairs or regular service? If I got a tesla loaner all the time I literally would enjoy my car getting worked on, but closest SC is 3 hrs away.

Nope, I've only been in there twice, both for very minor things. I think they just try to go the extra effort to make people feel part of the family.

Reactions: Blu Zap
I don't know about the experience of other's but the only real complaint with service is long wait times for an appointment. If they put me in a loaner it's a P85 or better. My last loaner was a brand new facelifted P90DL. I gave them a $50,000 car for service and they stuck me in a $140,000 loaner.

Century West BMW consistently put me in bare bones 320i's with literally not a single option. To raise your seat you would need to pull a crank and lift your body off of it to get it to go up. I wasn't even aware that was a thing any more.

Elon's late tweets don't affect your driving experience. Neither do long service waits unless your car is chronically in for service.

I've had zero reasons to have service in my 2016 70D, FWIW in over 13,000 miles. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned - I think Tesla has really improved on the quality end of the Model S. I too enjoyed great euro luxury car service - but I much prefer having an electric car which never needs it. The Model X is another story but the Model S has been in production almost 5 years now and they seem to have ironed out the kinks on the latest builds.

I've had zero reasons to have service in my 2016 70D, FWIW in over 13,000 miles. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned - I think Tesla has really improved on the quality end of the Model S. I too enjoyed great euro luxury car service - but I much prefer having an electric car which never needs it. The Model X is another story but the Model S has been in production almost 5 years now and they seem to have ironed out the kinks on the latest builds.

Got my S85D last September (11 1/2 months ago now) and almost have 12,000 miles on it. I too think this has been the least maintenance demanding and best performing vehicle I have ever had the privilege of owning. With at least four years of constant manufacturing and improvements and refining their assembly, the model S will be a very reliable vehicle for at least as long as any ICE on the road today. I will definitely chose to consider a second EV when it comes time to replace her. In addition, the Mrs. loves riding in it so much that she has her reservation in for the Model 3 sometime in the next year and a half.