Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not strictly Tesla related but...... transferring cherished plates

Jerryjal

Jun 14, 2020
Portsmouth
I currently have a private plate on my car however I have now won the one that I had been after for a while as it came up on a DVLA auction.
I have received the retention certificate and had the plates made up, normally it would be a case of just assigning the new plate to the car but I already have a private plate on it so if I do that won't I just lose the current cherished plate?
My thought is that I will have to pay the £80 to remove the current plate, wait for the new V5 to arrive and then assign the new cherished plate, is that correct?
If so then it seems a little long winded but I can't see any other way of doing it if I want to keep the rights to both plates.

Anyone know any different?

Jerryjal

Jun 14, 2020
Portsmouth
That is what I thought, well the original cherished plate was cheap so rather than pay the £80 to keep it and then eventually maybe get around £100-£150 for it I just put the new one on and gave up the rights to the other.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC