Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sunburned - But can the glass roof give you a tan?...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Jan 2022 Model 3. I have not bought an interior roof shade.

I have noticed that I've started to get this tan on my cheeks, and I don't know the reason why. I'm going to go to a dermatologist to get it checked out, but I want to rule out everything that is not the culprit.

I NEVER go outside. The most I step outside of the house is to pick up delivery, for about 12 seconds. All my windows are pretty closed, with almost no sun in my house. I'm retired.
The only time I go outside, is when I drive my kid to school, every morning and pick her up every afternoon. I live in Texas, so, it's sunny most of the time. But that 90 minutes is as much "sun" as I get. I don't leave the car, I stay in.

Is it possible the sun roof is giving me these dark, "tan" spots on my face?

I've read all sorts of wonderful things about the Sunroofs, and how they have layers of protection against UV, et cetera. But is it possible that, even if the light getting through is not harmful, that it could still give you a tan?

Has anyone else had this experience?
-Ron

I NEVER go outside. The most I step outside of the house is to pick up delivery, for about 12 seconds. All my windows are pretty closed, with almost no sun in my house. I'm retired.

So, you dont go grocery shopping (you get all groceries delivered), you dont go to the doctors office for appointments (which would have you walking across the parking lot) etc?

You can get a roof shade (the ones with built in reflectors) and it will answer your question really quick. It's a known fact that infrared heat can still get past the roof glass. People with bald heads have reported even the mesh roof shades make a noticeable difference.

The roof glass should block a lot of UV, but it may not be perfect against this. Supposedly UV is what causes tanning.

However, note the sun can still shine in from the side glass or windshield and tan your face. These glass surfaces are not tinted so may let through more of it.

You can get a roof shade (the ones with built in reflectors) and it will answer your question really quick. It's a known fact that infrared heat can still get past the roof glass. People with bald heads have reported even the mesh roof shades make a noticeable difference.

The roof glass should block a lot of UV, but it may not be perfect against this. Supposedly UV is what causes tanning.

However, note the sun can still shine in from the side glass or windshield and tan your face. These glass surfaces are not tinted so may let through more of it.
I just bought one yesterday, if nothing else, for peace of mind. I do have a White on White. So, sunlight is still getting reflected. I'm no rocket surgeon, but I'm sure that light is still hitting in some way as it would directly without an obstruction. I do have Ceramic Window Tint, but you're right, the Windshield itself is not, obviously.
I guess it's time to start wearing sunscreen inside my own car. I heard that news a couple of months ago, and thought "that's ridiculous hogwash". And here I am.

I just bought one yesterday, if nothing else, for peace of mind. I do have a White on White. So, sunlight is still getting reflected. I'm no rocket surgeon, but I'm sure that light is still hitting in some way as it would directly without an obstruction. I do have Ceramic Window Tint, but you're right, the Windshield itself is not, obviously.
I guess it's time to start wearing sunscreen inside my own car. I heard that news a couple of months ago, and thought "that's ridiculous hogwash". And here I am.
It's most likely your windshield. Why not get it tinted?