Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure what interior to get...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Considering getting a P3D but keep going back and forth on what color seats to get. White looks beautiful but I am skeptical that it’ll stay that way. Also seems like there’s less room for customizing the interior with the white trims that comes with the white seats. What do you guys think?

Hello all,

Considering getting a P3D but keep going back and forth on what color seats to get. White looks beautiful but I am skeptical that it’ll stay that way. Also seems like there’s less room for customizing the interior with the white trims that comes with the white seats. What do you guys think?

I went AWD-only and not P3D, but had a similar dilemma. When the white interior opened up to AWD folks, I switched to white. Next day, I dropped by a local Tesla showroom to check out the white interior in a Model X. That evening, I switched back to black.

As much as I've seen people claiming that it's very easy to keep the white clean, and I believe them... I couldn't convince my better-half it would be. She really wanted more color options than just "white" or "black" which the MS and MX have, but between the two colors currently available to us, black won out.

Hello all,

Your youtube videos amuse me. That is all.

I went AWD-only and not P3D, but had a similar dilemma. When the white interior opened up to AWD folks, I switched to white. Next day, I dropped by a local Tesla showroom to check out the white interior in a Model X. That evening, I switched back to black.

As much as I've seen people claiming that it's very easy to keep the white clean, and I believe them... I couldn't convince my better-half it would be. She really wanted more color options than just "white" or "black" which the MS and MX have, but between the two colors currently available to us, black won out.

Thanks for the replies. Exactly what I was thinking. I like the wood trim that comes with the black too.

Reactions: Kermee
Hello all,

Can't go wrong with black. Like the white but from previous experience can get tedious to take care of.

Black interior and I got these mats to match with it. Check it out
TESLA Model 3 2018 1st & 2nd Row

Hello all,

I spoke with a manager extensively during a Performance test drive day. She showed me pics of test cars with white interiors and what Tesla did to clean them once they became dirty, etc. I came away with this impression:
1) The plether they use (vegetable leather or some weird name) is not as porous as real leather so it won't stain as easily.
2) It WILL stain. Especially with all the dark blue jeans we (I) wear. No question at all - it will stain.
3) It can be cleaned pretty easily depending on the level of staining.

So although I loved the white and it's much better in the sun (I live in CA), I didn't relish the thought of having to worry about cleaning seats repeatedly. For some people it's worth it - I have kids and a dog. We clean enough. I also wasn't in love with the white plastic inlay vs the open wood on the black.

Hope that helps

Reactions: Dinozero
2) It WILL stain. Especially with all the dark blue jeans we (I) wear. No question at all - it will stain.

False. We have the white in our X for more than 2.5 years and there are zero stains from jeans in any of the seats and we wear all shades of dark jeans all the time. Plus, we have a toddler who is now 4 years old who has spilled all kinds of food and drink on the white seats and climbed all over with her dirty shoes which have left no stains. The white has not discolored, turned dingy/yellow, or degraded. We have gone several weeks, even months without cleaning the interior and no issues. We live in SoCal too. This is exactly why I got white in my 3. Too beautiful not to get it and it’s virtually maintenance free.

You can never go wrong with black...just go check out 2014 bmws with the red, cream, brown, grey, etc. and compare it to black. All these interiors are amazingly beautiful when they are new but once those wrinkles set in, stains start showing, rips start happening, black will be the best color to hide it.

I went from Tesla 3 Black to white. It’s so subjective on looks, but my vote is White.

However the Black needed to be wiped down more often than the white. The Black showed every water spot. Very annoying.

I do agree however that the Black will likely last longer.

I have 8 vehicles with White, Saddle, Tan, Fireglow Red, Porsche Deep Red, Bone, and Black. They are all easy to keep looking as-new with basic care and not so frequent cleaning. *some are real leather some are high end vinyl. The care varies based on this.

Of course you can go wrong with black. It doesn't look as good as white, is hotter in summer climates, makes the interior seem more closed in and isn't any easier to keep clean, some say it's actually more work .....Just a jab at the black interior crew. ;-)

My advice is if you have a preference on looks and it's white, but you are concerned, just get it. If you don't have a preference save some $$$ and get black.

Reactions: MikeATL
I envied the white Model 3 seats until I saw that they replace the gorgeous (imo) wood dash trim with white, when white interior is ordered.
I dislike the black due to heat and that they show every speck of dust and hair and and and.
I think when Model Y arrives I will wait until it is offered with ~tan seats and air suspension. These are the two elements lacking in my Model 3 which are worth trading up/out of in my book, with our next vehicle.
I got Model 3 first production in order to obtain the federal tax credit. With that incentive gone by the time Model Y arrives, I plan to wait until it has everything I want. By then, there may be competitors offering something that has the kinks worked out and a solution to the supercharger network advantage enjoyed by Tesla right now.
Til then, it's black seats with no AC in them, no air suspension, and that glorious strip of wood dash trim for me.

Good luck w your decision, OP.

Reactions: geometro
Got the white and have no regrets. It is stunning. It is so different than anything else on the market. I even love the white ceramic strip. It is so 21st century. I am paranoid and applied a wipe on protection product immediately. So far, I have had not staining and its really easy to clean.

Regardless of the cleanability, I didn't want white because I think it creates a lot more reflective light in the cabin that your eyes will be affected by. As it is you have a lot of open glass area in these cars. It would be interesting if someone had a black interior and a white interior Model 3 next to each other and could measure the ambient light inside from say the driver's seat of each. I'm not thinking heat here, just amount of light.

I’m doing Red with White. If you had asked me a few months ago, I would have never listed that as a likely choice, but it really is stunning. I’ve done dark cars and dark interiors for a long as I can remember.

Also...I’ve always thought the wood trim piece was odd.....out of place.

Attachments

• 3C640913-8308-419F-BBD7-3BE7C438F8B0.jpeg
    3C640913-8308-419F-BBD7-3BE7C438F8B0.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 2CFA2145-E3E1-4E8D-ADC2-10118FA36569.jpeg
    2CFA2145-E3E1-4E8D-ADC2-10118FA36569.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 0F781824-EDEC-4B9B-BF72-22BBD4433504.jpeg
    0F781824-EDEC-4B9B-BF72-22BBD4433504.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 253
I’m doing Red with White. If you had asked me a few months ago, I would have never listed that as a likely choice, but it really is stunning. I’ve done dark cars and dark interiors for a long as I can remember.

Also...I’ve always thought the wood trim piece was odd.....out of place.

You won't regret it. I haven't had issues with light reflection. I did just get it tinted though and this reduces any potential issues even further.

• Love