Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure what to do, is my updating stuck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all

So my Y is on 2021.4.12.2 which STATS app says only 10% of model y's registered with them are on. It appears the newest is 2021.4.16

In anycase, my Y is on early adopter for upgrades and it has been rare that i wait longer than a week to get one. Naturally i searched here and this is what I found.

1) My WiFi signal isnt the issue, its strong
2) The car says its checking for updates and there are none daily

I have contacted tesla support (mentioned in the forums) and they said these things:

1) They DO NOT push updates ever. (contrary to what others have actually done)
2) My car with "update when it is ready". (I *sugar* you not)
3) Just because i have the early adopter on does not mean i get it earlier (huh?!)
4) Even though only 10% of Ys are on my version that does not mean it is "stuck" or that the updating isnt working for me
5) There is no solution but to wait.

So at this point i have tried everything except make a service appointment.

What do you all think?

My '21 MY is also behind the 'Stats' curve for the most popular version, but as one thread reported early, we MY's are not missing anything material that is out there.

I am hoping that the next major S/W upgrade will have these a few of these goodies (one can always hope):
  1. Birdseye View
  2. Side camera activates when signaling
  3. Create passenger seat profiles
  4. Add FSD new beta/beta button for city streets navigation
  5. Play Boombox music separately from internal music
  6. Add Apple music as a native playing option
  7. Add Waze type features (eg. construction, self reported police, other nearby Tesla vehicles) on map
  8. Add % battery to estimated miles icon display on main screen
  9. Add a button to request latest software version update now rather than wait for car to randomly poll
  10. Add better granularity controls for folding mirrors (eg. I want the mirrors to fold before entering a location like my garage, but unfold at that same location when backing out, etc)
  11. Add Apple Watch bluetooth as a keycard linked to existing or new profile
  12. Add Wifi update to USB music folder (FTP, SMB, etc)
  13. Add option to use a 'Swipe' pattern for alternate to 4 digit PIN driving and glovebox unlock
  14. Add granular voice control and/or short to long press on turn signal stock wiper button activates wiper settings duration/frequency
  15. And my personal favorite :D to have the Tesla automatically 'nicely tap' the horn or play a pre-recorded TTS (eg..Anytime now...) when the driver/car in front (waiting for traffic signal while texting/talking on phone) does not proceed through the intersection after a user set time of a green light (Ha!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 101dals
As a longtime Tesla owner, trust me, your situation is completely normal, and the car isn’t stuck on a particular version.

Over the coming years, you will sometimes have a new version before most people, and you will sometimes be behind. Most of the time, you’ll have the version most people do.

There are several reasons for this. Sometimes Tesla will realize there’s a major bug in a new update, so they’ll halt it, leaving a very small number of owners on a new version. A day or three later, they’ll push a new version to a wider group that fixes the bug. Other times, they’re A/B testing something. And sometimes certain versions only go to certain models or configurations (eg, a fix that only affects non-Raven S/X doesn’t do much for your Y).

As others have said, just don’t worry and enjoy, you’ll get updates when you get them.

Sorry, one other point I wanted to make: the "Advanced" option for software updates has never done much, and there has even been speculation that it does nothing at all (like the "Close Door" button in an elevator, it's just there to placate you). Selecting it definitely won't guarantee you will be in the first batch for new software versions.

The Stats app compares ones MY with other MY's, which is not an app for the S/W update compulsives (like me)! :( But I'm assuming that these smaller 'bug fix' version updates are only applicable to a specific range of MY VINS...

1619690626568.png