Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure which Tesla to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! I've been lurking for years and am now ready to pull the trigger on a Tesla. The problem is, I don't know which one to get...

For the last 6 months I was convinced that I was going to buy late 2016 model S with AP2, but I've been starting to wonder recently if thats a smart choice. Let me lay out why I'm in such a dilemma.

I'm 30, 6'5 and currently own 2016 Range Rover and 991 Porsche but will be returning both shortly because their leases. I live in Palo Alto, CA and work from home every day. I currently live in a condo building which doesnt have any access to an electrical charger. I'm telling you this because I will have to charge at a super charger (2 miles from my house) or an ev go station (no idea if its compatible with teslas) located across the street from my house. The condo building said that I'm not allowed to have an electrical station installed.

My business partner has the p100dl model S and the p100dl model X and said that if he can do it over again, he would get the model 3 performance.. But he is 5'10, so I'm unsure about taking his advice. I have a GF and her two small dogs, so her requirement is the car must have dog mode.

I know whichever Tesla I choose, I will be very happy. I just don't want to buy it and say 6 months down the line that I should've purchased another model. I will probably keep this car for 4-5 years as well.

I don't want to spend over 70k, so here are my choices:
2016-2017 Model S - 75d or 90d - Is the D worth it?
2019 model 3 performance
2016 Model X

Thank you in advance. I know I sound like I'm all over the place, which is why I'm coming to the experts for help.

Cheers

You need to work out what your Supercharger routine would be. The Mountain View Supercharger may be two miles away but has been very crowded. Check out the area around it and see what you would do while waiting (e-bike home?). The East Palo Alto Supercharger might have more availability, and some different stores around it, providing an alternative. At my son's house we can go grocery shopping or eat dinner while charging, so it's not too intrusive. You might be able to work in the car.

Keep in mind you'll be maxing out at 90% charge for regular use. And charging is slower at higher battery charge levels. And you will need to move the car immediately after charging to avoid idle fees. So you may have fewer miles and slower charging than you'd like, and you'll have to be there when it's done.

For me charging at home is an important benefit of driving an electric car. But there's also performance and Autopilot.

The Model 3 Performance is definitely the sportiest. Still large, but very fun to drive (we only have the AWD). I used to drive a 996 and I don't miss it. The 3 just invites me to push it. This is our around town car. It can give me a smile when I drive it.

The Model X has the same basic feel, only bigger and higher. While it is just as competent as the 3 and S, I haven't felt the desire to push it in the corners at all. For our long road trips, or hauling lots of people, this gets the job done with style. It was my daily driver for a while, post 996, and I loved it except for the size. It was my practical, slow down a bit I'm getting older, but still drives as much like a Porsche as it can car. For long trips the 100D or P100D is a must, which would be a 2017 at least. But they haven't changed much since then, other than options becoming standard and prices coming down.

I've only driven loaner Model S's. They have the bigger size, but are fairly low. They corner better than the X, were somewhat fun to push, but were just too big for me to really enjoy.

Reactions: moltenfire
Hi all! I've been lurking for years and am now ready to pull the trigger on a Tesla. The problem is, I don't know which one to get...

For the last 6 months I was convinced that I was going to buy late 2016 model S with AP2, but I've been starting to wonder recently if thats a smart choice. Let me lay out why I'm in such a dilemma.

I'm 30, 6'5 and currently own 2016 Range Rover and 991 Porsche but will be returning both shortly because their leases. I live in Palo Alto, CA and work from home every day. I currently live in a condo building which doesnt have any access to an electrical charger. I'm telling you this because I will have to charge at a super charger (2 miles from my house) or an ev go station (no idea if its compatible with teslas) located across the street from my house. The condo building said that I'm not allowed to have an electrical station installed.

My business partner has the p100dl model S and the p100dl model X and said that if he can do it over again, he would get the model 3 performance.. But he is 5'10, so I'm unsure about taking his advice. I have a GF and her two small dogs, so her requirement is the car must have dog mode.

I know whichever Tesla I choose, I will be very happy. I just don't want to buy it and say 6 months down the line that I should've purchased another model. I will probably keep this car for 4-5 years as well.

2019 model 3 performance
2016 Model X

Thank you in advance. I know I sound like I'm all over the place, which is why I'm coming to the experts for help.

Cheers

Tall isn't the issue, but charging is. I'm 6'4" and a half, and the M3 is the rommiest sedan I've ever been in.

But yeah... the charging... you can't have a bit of a better conversation with the condo board? My first question would be "why not?", followed by "can we put it to the membership?" Or maybe they'll allow you to install one outside or something. Not being able to charge overnight is going to be a massive, massive problem, unless you're able to leave it at the place across the street every day without it costing too much.

Reactions: hcdavis3
If you have nowhere to charge at home, you're really creating a huge inconvenience for yourself, unless your time is cheap and you have an hour to waste every time you need to charge.
I disagree because ANY ONE of the following solutions would work, and the probability that the OP is in one of those situations is very high:
  • Model 3 and Model Y charge very fast. By the time we refill your wiper reservoir with distilled water & RainX wiper water additive, and apply some RainX or AquaPel to our windshield, or do almost any other task (check our email, brush our teeth, etc.), we'll have gotten more charge than we ever need.
  • If we work someplace for a living and have charging at work that is the right price for us, we just charge at work.
  • If we are in retirement and all of our retirement destinations have charging and we stay there long enough to get enough charge, then that works.
  • If we always go long distance, that means we'll always be using a SuperCharger anyway.
I'm 30, 6'5
A tall person can either get the Model X or Model 3 depending on fitment (but not the Model S). If I were a tall person (I am and tested both), I'd definitely do a very thorough sitting test in both to make certain that I fit properly before even considering the vehicle further. The shape of a person will have a huge effect on the fitment in each vehicle. Note that the seats are changed often by Tesla, so ask to be put in a sample car that is EXACTLY like the one you will buy, including the seats. That's why buying used or straight off the lot is great if you can physically check the exact car before putting any money down.
The Mountain View Supercharger may be two miles away but has been very crowded.
Yes, but a lot of people have weekly routines that have them pass close by another SuperCharger. There have been a lot of new SuperChargers installed in the SF Peninsula in the last year; they don't have to use Mountain View. In-car screens can say which chargers are sort of full vs sort of not full.

Last edited:
Lots of the new superchargers are 72kW and aren't very fast at all. Will definitely take over an hour to charge even on a Model 3.

If you don't have home or work charging, I don't think a Tesla makes any sense.
That's going to be a dwindling list of SuperChargers as V3 rolls out. I don't think the OP will have a problem. Furthermore, there are a lot of existing SF Peninsula SuperChargers, some of which are near interesting places to be that the OP may want to stay the allotted amount of time at.

It is unlikely that any Tesla driver in SF Peninsula uses their car enough to run out of energy AND does not go by a viable SuperCharger for their usual use patterns. That ended when Tesla finally installed a lot of new SuperChargers in SF Peninsula, and it should just keep getting better. Yes, there are more customers, but Tesla will be keeping up with the SC buildout, as we have seen and as Elon announced with the new V3 announcements.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dethman
Not really, V3 superchargers aren't replacing the 72kw ones and there's only 2 in the entire country right now.

There is only the 72kW in EPA and the overly packed MV supercharger near the OP's house. Both are bad options as a full time charging solution unless OP really likes shopping at the EPA Home Depot.

Tesla is upgrading their Supercharger system and their cars to speed up charging.

My suggestion would be to purchase a P3. Much higher performance than your Porsche, fold down rear seats give you some space to haul stuff, Great handling, but with a pretty smooth ride.

It has great range and wil charge faster than an older used X or S.

Fits your budget, and really provides tremendous value compared to other cars with comparable value.

It is eligible for the California Purple stickers which will allow you access to the HOV lanes.

It is eligible (if you hurry) for both the State rebate and Federal Tax Credit.

You should be able to use the EV-go station across the street from you. It will be slower and more expensive than a Supercharger, but super convenient. (The adaptor will come with your Model 3).

It will come with Dog Mode, as well as other handy modes.

Have your girlfriend pick out the color. Dogs love riding in EVs (Not sure why, but they do)

It is a good size for getting around congested Palo Alto.

Only deal breaker might be if your physique is comfy in the car. You will need to find a way to sit in one to answer that question that some tall people have longer torso than others of the same height.

If you want to save some money, the standard model (not base) with the Long Range battery will also provide you all the Tesla goodness, but without the boy racer zoom.

Don't forget, you can trickle charge (few miles per hour) at any 120V plug. Slow, but sometimes will be enough. You might scout around your complex and see if there is a 120V plug that you might be able to tap if needed.

If you have nowhere to charge at home, you're really creating a huge inconvenience for yourself, unless your time is cheap and you have an hour to waste every time you need to charge.

I really wished Tesla would bring back unlimited supercharging w/restrictions.
The car knows where it's location is at/stored. Superchargers 100+ miles away from the main stored location should be unlimited. Could also be done via DMV reported address as verifications. This would free up the free loaders and make the supercharging system the way it was designed to be; used conveniently as you drive through.

I didn't buy a new Tesla because i frequent S. Ca from Sf several times a year. If I had to pay for charging, I'd be better off with a gas vehicle. I went with a 2015 build and mainly do home charging. $1 for 30 miles or so. Occasionally if I happened to be shopping conveniently, I'll hit the supercharger station. But it's quite funny to see people who spent $110k+ on their car to waste 40 minutes+ of their life sitting in their car charging. They save $10 for 45 minutes of their time? Lol

Even more funny when there is literally a line of Tesla's waiting for a stall to open up. I've seen families literally sitting in their car on their phones while their car is topping up on a Saturday afternoon. *Shake head*

I get it...maybe they don't have a home charger... Welps, should've thought about that before jumping on the EV hype.

Reactions: Cheburashka
If you are ok go with a Model 3 or Y when they become available. The Model 3 platform is getting all the new tech and software updates and the S & X are not. IMO Tesla's long term plan is to phase out Models S & X and this is their way of encouraging customers to go with the new model

2019 model 3 performance
2016 Model X

Cheers
You might look and see if there are any electrical outlets within extension cord reach of a parking place you can use. 120V will give you between 3 and 4 miles of charge per hour of charging. It isn’t fast but it is useable for a man who works at home. If there is any sort of 240V outlet, you can get an adapter to use with the car. You can get 240V, 30 foot extension cords, they are heavy, though. I used one with an adapter to charge from a home 240V, 30A dryer plug.

Height: you’ll have a lot of room in the X. I’d suggest visiting the supercharger that is close to you. Tesla owners are a friendly bunch. Most will be happy to let you have a close look and probably let you sit in it to see how much room you’ll have. Or you could go to a showroom.

If there is no option for home charging, I agree with the others, another car might be a better choice.

I was use a level 2 against the sc. With the level 2, you can leave your car for a few hours, go back home and do your vusiness. With the sc, you have to stick around, which is going to get old in a hurry. If you can rent a parking spot with a 110 plug, it is even better. Specially if you work from home.

Not taking into account you have no where to charge, I was in your exact same boat. I was looking at 2016-2017 model S perf dual motor vs new p3DL and I ended up buying a 3DL as I got great price. I wasn't disappointed with there non-performance 3 at all.

For me, the 3 is the right size and performs amazing even without the performance pkg.. I too am coming from a sports car(BMW M4) and i wont miss it at all.

I have a deposit on the pYDL and that will be the car I ultimately desire and will have in 2 years so the 3DL is a stop gap for me.

It makes no sense to buy a model S for me unless you need the space.

Now if you buy a 2 year old perf model S DL at half price, then that "might" make some sense.

But the model S needs refresh badly and as far as new, I can't see many people buying this car until that happens. The model 3 is that good esp in performance.

Answer is really really really easy.

When I heard offsite charging needed, there is presently only one acceptable answer:

Model 3 LR/AWD/Performance

Most range per charge and the fastest charging.

You are still charging past 72KW even on V2 supercharging past the halfway point with the latest firmware.

While own charging infrastructure is ideal, it is getting easier and easier month by month with Tesla's improvements.

But the model S needs refresh badly and as far as new, I can't see many people buying this car until that happens. The model 3 is that good esp in performance.

I keep seeing this model S urgent “refresh” thing.

I like my interior. I like the large display, the dash display right in front of the driver. I like the 0.23 drag coefficient, the shape of the car, the back seat with plenty of leg room, the flush door handles, the hatch, the acceleration, the storage space under the floor in the back, the glass roof, the 4 doors, I like it all.

What on Earth needs so badly this refresh and how do people anticipate making this car so much better?

As for me, I hope they don’t monkey with it.

I keep seeing this model S urgent “refresh” thing.

I like my interior. I like the large display, the dash display right in front of the driver. I like the 0.23 drag coefficient, the shape of the car, the back seat with plenty of leg room, the flush door handles, the hatch, the acceleration, the storage space under the floor in the back, the glass roof, the 4 doors, I like it all.

What on Earth needs so badly this refresh and how do people anticipate making this car so much better?

As for me, I hope they don’t monkey with it.

More toys, better cup holders and way way way way better charging is where its at.

I'd probably go with the new Model 3 because of the newer AP hardware. On the other hand I'm happy with my pre-AP and AP1 Tesla's too. In your situation a used S with free for life supercharging would be a pretty nice enticement.