Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure which Tesla to get + questions about ordering...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of want to inspect it, but I’ll be stuck unless they have another one at the store I can take. I’ll be ~200 miles from home and really annoyed if I have to buy a same day flight home AND then go back to pick it up a couple weeks later.

I really think needing to inspect a brand new car is not necessary. If there's anything wrong with it they would have to fix it and, it's important to note that quality is on par with other modern cars (which is to say it's very high). If there is a problem with the car that was missed during the final inspection at the factory, there is a very good chance you would miss it with a delivery center inspection anyway. There is way too much noise about Tesla quality. I was worried too but both of our cars were just about as perfect as can be.

My finders fees are more then $500.00 LoL, I’ve given you the info on how to look. You be surprised how much you can save as they need to move these cars that have been sitting around. Oh and mine is Multi-coat red too. Can’t do white interior thou.

Fred

That kind of deal is unlikely to be available except as they try to finish off the end of the quarter on a strong note. Probably also very hard to get on the lower trim models. Tesla does not have many cars "sitting around" relative to their production and delivery volumes, they are selling them as fast as they can make them.

You can't believe everything you see on YouTube videos either.

My finders fees are more then $500.00 LoL, I’ve given you the info on how to look. You be surprised how much you can save as they need to move these cars that have been sitting around. Oh and mine is Multi-coat red too. Can’t do white interior thou.

Fred
Well how much of a finders fee do you want? Because I got screwed on my last car (Volt) by not getting ANY kind of deal, and it’s hard enough to get valid info from Tesla sales on what the standard range includes. I will admit they don’t harass me by calling back 30+ times in a 10 day period like Chevy does, but Tesla is still frustrating. Also, it doesn’t help if it’s $6k discounted on a $58k Model 3 or something. I’m not just “looking for a good deal” I’m trying to stay within a budget. Now if that means getting a long range near a standard range price because it has some miles on it or is a 2018 demo, I don’t mind. But if I have to spend $10k more just to be able to say “oh! But I was $6k discounted from usual!” that’s not really what I’m looking for...

Also, I did ask in Seattle and they said they had one that was close (blue with black interior) that they could offer a $420 price adjustment. However, it has 19” wheels and I’ll spend more then that $420 within one or two times of having to replace the larger tires or buying a winter set...

Well how much of a finders fee do you want? Because I got screwed on my last car (Volt) by not getting ANY kind of deal, and it’s hard enough to get valid info from Tesla sales on what the standard range includes. I will admit they don’t harass me by calling back 30+ times in a 10 day period like Chevy does, but Tesla is still frustrating. Also, it doesn’t help if it’s $6k discounted on a $58k Model 3 or something. I’m not just “looking for a good deal” I’m trying to stay within a budget. Now if that means getting a long range near a standard range price because it has some miles on it or is a 2018 demo, I don’t mind. But if I have to spend $10k more just to be able to say “oh! But I was $6k discounted from usual!” that’s not really what I’m looking for...

Also, I did ask in Seattle and they said they had one that was close (blue with black interior) that they could offer a $420 price adjustment. However, it has 19” wheels and I’ll spend more then that $420 within one or two times of having to replace the larger tires or buying a winter set...
I have a 2016 red Chevy Volt also (LT) love that ride. Too bad they stop making them. Also tell Seattle to knock off another $500.00 since you want the 18’s my buddy got those 19’s for free, part of the deal.. he had to wait 2 weeks for them to arrive but they finally came in.

Fred

BTW I have another friend that’s finally getting a ton of calls from Tesla, at first they wouldn’t return his calls so he went out and got a Hyundai Kona, all electric and has a range of like 259 miles. He’s happy with it but plans on holding on to it for a year and then getting the Tesla he wants.

Fred

35BB6E04-0933-44C8-9C78-01DCBF7E6132.jpeg
OP, I'm curious ...
Where do you live that you can fly to Seattle but cannot take a bus ?
Richland Washington, the house up on the hill.

OP, I'm curious ...
Where do you live that you can fly to Seattle but cannot take a bus ?

I probably could take a bus, but I was just going to fly over to be quick and return home the same day. A bus probably wouldn’t put me any closer to a Tesla store then flying would. I just was trying to figure out if I could have it dropped off by a shipping company (without incurring an extra fee) to save the hassle of that.

I know the drive isn’t too bad, and I enjoy Seattle, but I have a big expensive week long Los Angeles vacation coming up in October, so I’m not itching for another, even mini one, especially if I’ve just spent a bunch buying a car :p

So I was more thinking it would be awesome and convenient to have to delivered. Immediately document any defects and contact Tesla, and then just take it to the (new) Spokane repair center or Seattle sometime later.

(I don’t think Spokane delivers cars, I think they still have a crew of just two or three people that are basically doing ranger work but out of a location that’s being setup to be a service center)

OP, I looked at all options I could want or could live without. The last thing I wanted to happen is to order and then regret later that I hadn’t thought through everything. I live on a island with a 125 mile road circumference. I could have gotten the SR but, what if I moved back to the Mainland (?). Choice: LR. I wanted the acceleration. Choice: DM. The rest was aesthetics. My point is, this is a major purchase. Take your time and get what “you” want, without selling yourself short. Go for broke, I guarantee you won’t regret it!

I can't help with the tax questions, but as far as SR vs SR+, I can say that the upgraded audio in the 3 is fantastic. It's better than the system in our X, and is at least as good as the B&W system we had in a prior Volvo. It's great. That's only in the full premium interior, but the SR+ is closer.

With that said, you can also still order the RWD LR off-menu. If range is at all a concern, that option is worth considering as you get 85 miles over SR+, the full premium audio, rear heated seats, fogs, and the premium connectivity with sat maps and streaming audio.

Awesome and convenient are not free. Like your expensive vacation.

Pasco to Seattle downtown is ~ $35 by Greyhound and you can still drive home the same day.

Well Tesla’s FAQ makes it sound free... but maybe they just don’t keep the web page up to date...

Actually though, have they expanded the Link Lightrail up to the area that the Westlake Tesla store is at? I could take that from the airport up to that store and then go home. I always forget about that light rail.

Have you considered a LR RWD for only a little more..mine has a 325 mile range. Then you get the premium audio, connectivity etc. I paid 48K. But that includes $1500 for the upgraded wheels and $1500 for the pearl white color.

Last edited:
Have you considered a LR RWD for only a little more..mine has a 325 mile range. Then you get the premium audio, connectivity etc. I paid 48K. But that includes $1500 for the upgraded wheels and $1500 for the pearl white color.

I was talking about that in another thread a few hours ago. I believe mreynolds767 was emailing his advisor and asking some questions and then was going to post the response. The Bellevue store that I called said it wasn’t possible to order the LR RWD any more. A Sr Sales rep that has been kind enough to direct message me from another site said you COULD order it off menu, but that it didn’t include AP and was $45,900. People here have said it DOES include AP and I could request to order it with AP disabled and knock $2k off the price. So.... I’m rather confused at what is possible.

The kicker is this, to get a $2500 rebate on my WA sales tax the car has to be $45k or less. I assume that’s WITH the destination charge included, but I’ll try to call the state and confirm.

So if I can order without AP and save $2k, that makes the LR RWD $45,100. So Tesla would still have to do something “creative” to discount it $101 so I could get that tax credit. Or charge me the destination fee separately, if that’s possible.

I would give up picking my color and having the white interior, and honestly I’m ok with giving AP since I can add it later if needed, and really don’t think I’ll use it that much in my area. The LR RWD would be sweet and I would love the faster charging, extra range, and full premium interior, but passing up that $2500 tax credit would hurt too much.

@acarney on the sales tax question, I’d call who ever you’ll register the car with (in CO it’s the county clerk) and confirm with them what the correct rate should be. Tesla charged me the wrong rate even though I told them it was wrong. But the delivery guys were just working off an automated system and couldn’t override their procedures. I got a refund within 3 business days, but it was still something else to deal with.

@acarney on the sales tax question, I’d call who ever you’ll register the car with (in CO it’s the county clerk) and confirm with them what the correct rate should be. Tesla charged me the wrong rate even though I told them it was wrong. But the delivery guys were just working off an automated system and couldn’t override their procedures. I got a refund within 3 business days, but it was still something else to deal with.

Good call! I was thinking I would need to call the state’s department of revenue and of course they would want me to pay the higher rate, but I forgot that cars are locally registered. Man I get so used to just a couple clicks online to renew it that we have an office right here in town for that stuff.