Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Not sure why my car ] Charged to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my charging set to stop at 80%. I also do not drive that much. Two days I had only a very short trip. Automatically I plugged in the charger. Then yesterday got a notice that charging at stopped at 100%.

Guessing that I got some charge and actually started past the 80% point, or what the car thought was 80% and so it went to 100%.

If taking a road trip is this a way to get the charge to 100%. Put the upper limit below the current charge and charge from there?

Thanks

I have my charging set to stop at 80%. I also do not drive that much. Two days I had only a very short trip. Automatically I plugged in the charger. Then yesterday got a notice that charging at stopped at 100%.

Guessing that I got some charge and actually started past the 80% point, or what the car thought was 80% and so it went to 100%.

If taking a road trip is this a way to get the charge to 100%. Put the upper limit below the current charge and charge from there?

Thanks
I observed my car charging past my 80% charging limit last night. It went on to 82% and still charging. When I discovered that and tried to stop charging by pressing the button on the charger handle, the charge port LED flashed white and then quickly back to green, and the handle was not released. It looked like a SW bug somewhere made the car want to keep charging. In the end, I was able to use "unlock charging port" button on the Tesla app to stop it and release the charger.

I really, really doubt the car decided to charge to 100%. Most likely, somebody inadvertently set it up that way, either from the app, or from the screen. My car also sometimes charges like a percentage point or two higher, but that's it. Put it back to 80%, and it should charge to that limit next time.

I observed my car charging past my 80% charging limit last night. It went on to 82% and still charging. When I discovered that and tried to stop charging by pressing the button on the charger handle, the charge port LED flashed white and then quickly back to green, and the handle was not released. It looked like a SW bug somewhere made the car want to keep charging. In the end, I was able to use "unlock charging port" button on the Tesla app to stop it and release the charger.
You have to hold down the button, not just press one it once. If you press on it once, it will reengage if you don't pull out quick enough.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H