TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Not under warranty" - Charging port was replaced during accident and needs to be fixed!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Drizzle, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Drizzle

Drizzle Member

I had a quarter panel repair on the charging port side of my car. The charging port piece was replaced and installed as well.

Since I've gotten it back, a "charging port fault' error has been occurring WHILE DRIVING randomly for a second, due to what I now know was an incorrect installation after the accident.

Basically I was told by the new tesla repair shop that "the older body shop shaved away too much metal and the port is loose".

Tesla said I need to pay $200 for the repairs. What else do I need from them to take back to my original body shop so that I can get that reimbursed? I've only had the car back a month.

2. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

Either the body shop or Tesla should replace under warranty (warranty for either the defective repair or OEM part).

• Disagree x 1
  3. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

The body shop is on for it. Not Tesla.
    Just take Tesla’s report back to them, and ask for it to be fixed.

This has nothing to do with Tesla’s manufacturer warranty.

• Like x 5
  4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Yes, this isn't a Tesla issue, let the body shop handle it. If they want to pay Tesla to fix it, rhth works

5. Drizzle

Drizzle Member

So should I pay today and get reimbursed or not pay? Should insurance be involved at all?

6. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

Is the body shop not prepared to fix it?

7. Drizzle

Drizzle Member

I called my insurance and they stated that I need to take it back to the original body shop to get it reimbursed. No other option, even if they take it to the real tesla shop after that (which they dod for the port installation last time).

Sadly the real tesla shop may have already fixed it so I may be SOL.

I also don't want to take it back to the original body shop. It looks months for the original work and if they installed it incorrectly i dont trust them to fix it. Not going to wait another month for bullshit work.

8. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

Sounds like the body shop didn't complete the job insurance paid them to do.
    So absolutely get the insurance company involved.

9. Bill Foster

Bill Foster I'm going home!

Sometimes (based on what you said about the body shop) its just much easier and less brain damage just to pay the 200 bucks yourself then try to get it out of some bodyshop ya know?

• Like x 2