Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not under warranty? Sunroof rubber seal (outer seal?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phaduman

Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2016
San Jose
I brought to the attention of my service advisor that the sunroof seal on my 2016 facelift AP1.0 Model S, has a rip (perhaps due to the sunroof holder clamps brushing into it regularly...). My advisor said, this is cosmetic, and is not covered under the 4yr/50K warranty. And that, this rubber seal is part of the plastic pannel that runs along the length of the car and is quite expensive part (like $2K or something).
Two Qs:
(1) Is this true? That rubber rubber tear is not covered under the new vehicle warranty?
(2) That this rubber seal is only cosmetic (will not cause water intrusion in the future?)

Unrelated warranty Q:
(3) separately, my mobile charger unit has failed days ago: (shows "red" T when plugged in, and car says faulty charger too). Is that covered under warranty?

I have only 500miles remaining from my warranty expiry, trying to do a decent job looking at potential failures.

Thanks so much
PN, SJ, CA
IMG_1699.jpg

...rubber rubber tear is not covered under the new vehicle warranty?...

Warranty Exclusion:

"Minor adjustments, including addition of sealant, insulation, or replacing and/or retorquing of nuts and bolts (or the like)."

...will not cause water intrusion in the future?...

It's cosmetic until water starts to intrude then it will no longer just cosmetic but also function as well.

However, that's future, not now.

If it's up to me, it's a design flaw to perforate the rubber insulation during the warranty period.

...(3) separately, my mobile charger unit has failed days ago: (shows "red" T when plugged in, and car says faulty charger too). Is that covered under warranty?...

Warranty Exclusion:

"Parts, accessories and charging equipment that were not included in the purchase of the vehicle; these items have their own warranties and are subject to their own terms and conditions, which will be provided to you as applicable;"

Since your mobile unit was included in the purchase of the vehicle, then it should be covered under your vehicle warranty.

Warranty Exclusion:

"Minor adjustments, including addition of sealant, insulation, or replacing and/or retorquing of nuts and bolts (or the like)."

It's cosmetic until water starts to intrude then it will no longer just cosmetic but also function as well.

However, that's future, not now.

If it's up to me, it's a design flaw to perforate the rubber insulation during the warranty period.

Warranty Exclusion:

"Parts, accessories and charging equipment that were not included in the purchase of the vehicle; these items have their own warranties and are subject to their own terms and conditions, which will be provided to you as applicable;"

Since your mobile unit was included in the purchase of the vehicle, then it should be covered under your vehicle warranty.

thank you so much for the detailed answers. I really appreciate it!

I brought to the attention of my service advisor that the sunroof seal on my 2016 facelift AP1.0 Model S, has a rip (perhaps due to the sunroof holder clamps brushing into it regularly...). My advisor said, this is cosmetic, and is not covered under the 4yr/50K warranty. And that, this rubber seal is part of the plastic pannel that runs along the length of the car and is quite expensive part (like $2K or something).
Two Qs:
(1) Is this true? That rubber rubber tear is not covered under the new vehicle warranty?
(2) That this rubber seal is only cosmetic (will not cause water intrusion in the future?)

Unrelated warranty Q:
(3) separately, my mobile charger unit has failed days ago: (shows "red" T when plugged in, and car says faulty charger too). Is that covered under warranty?

I have only 500miles remaining from my warranty expiry, trying to do a decent job looking at potential failures.

Thanks so much
PN, SJ, CA
View attachment 422852

Is there any kind of rubber filler that you can add there?