Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not updating = rated miles decreasing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am experiencing big decline in the rated miles in the pas 3 weeks /since ver. 9/ was released /.

I have S85 AP1 with 51k miles. I don't want to update to V9 at this point since personal preference to be able to choose what to have on the top of the screen.

In the past 3 weeks I've lost 6 rated miles /from 258 to 252 at 100% interpolated from teslafi or from 207 to 202 at 80%/ when nothing else changed.

Tmspy shiws that the cells are ballanced well /4mv difference/. The temps in my garage are around 80F during charging session.

Is this coincidence or tesla is trying to force me to upgrade? Pretty sure if ask tesla they will say that upgrading will solve the problem.

Also lately I get notification from the app almost every day that new software is available.

That's a pretty ridiculous conspiracy theory you've got there... LOL No, Tesla isn't reducing your range to force you to upgrade to V9...

Jeff
I am not paranoiac but this are the facts. I stated in my post that this may be coincidence but no proof for either. That's why I ask if there is someone with rated miles big drop in the past weeks.

Nothing else changed besides v9 - same temps in the garage, same time of charge, same miles driven every day, same route, same weather, same HPWC, same charging rate, same time when the charge start, same charge limit.

Usually when I troubleshoot an issue the first question I ask is what changed and in this case is that I am ignoring the update.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and jeffro01
I am not paranoiac but this are the facts. I stated in my post that this may be coincidence but no proof for either. That's why I ask if there is someone with rated miles big drop in the past weeks.

Nothing else changed besides v9 - same temps in the garage, same time of charge, same miles driven every day, same route, same weather, same HPWC, same charging rate, same time when the charge start, same charge limit.

Usually when I troubleshoot an issue the first question I ask is what changed and in this case is that I am ignoring the update.

LOL... Come on... Really? You're first thought here is that Tesla is somehow penalizing you for not upgrading to V9? That's where your mind goes? Again, no, Tesla is not reducing your range because you're not upgrading to V9.

Batteries degrade, they just do. I've had similar range drops over the years when I had my Model S, it's perfectly normal. Battery degradation does NOT follow a consistent and predictable curve.

Jeff

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
LOL... Come on... Really? You're first thought here is that Tesla is somehow penalizing you for not upgrading to V9? That's where your mind goes? Again, no, Tesla is not reducing your range because you're not upgrading to V9.

Batteries degrade, they just do. I've had similar range drops over the years when I had my Model S, it's perfectly normal. Battery degradation does NOT follow a consistent and predictable curve.

Jeff

Jeff, I might going crazy no doubt about it ;)

I know there is logical explanation which does not include conspiracy and/or paranormal activity - just trying to find it :)

I am not saying that Tesla is penalizing for not updating. May be they are motivating me to update with some miles back as reward :)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and brkaus
I am experiencing big decline in the rated miles in the pas 3 weeks /since ver. 9/ was released /.

In the past 3 weeks I've lost 6 rated miles /from 258 to 252 at 100% interpolated from teslafi or from 207 to 202 at 80%/ when nothing else changed.

The temperature in the garage is around 80F and not changed much recently - may be 2/3 degrees

A 2.5% difference is a "big decline" when speaking of rated miles but is "not much" when speaking of temperature?

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
So if I understand it correctly it is perfectly normal to loose 2 miles a week in few weeks in a row?

If true why I lost 4 miles of range for almost 2 years of ownership and 40 000 miles?

I am not freaking out because battery is loosing miles. In my eyes 3% loss for 3 weeks is kind of odd given that for 2 years I lost only 2%

Other than that I am happy that youa are having fun with my posts in this thread /no, I am not sarcastic!/

I drink water, over time, rated miles decrease.
Therefore:
Drinking water decrease range.

You update the iOS to your iPhone six to the latest version and it starts to be slow but this is not related to the update.

Seriously I don't see how my theory is being stupid.

If you eat new to you exotic food and start feeling bad I bet the first tough will be that the food made you sick.

Tesla sometimes fiddles with the rated range calculations with an update. They really aren’t that useful as it is difficult to measure charge in the battery with any precision. My S was originally 249 and is now 238. However when I do a 100% charge I often go 3 or 4 miles before the range starts clocking down. Just enjoy the car and stop worrying.

Seriously I don't see how my theory is being stupid.

What was trying to be explained via a somewhat opaque example is that correlation (or, as in this case, coincidence) is not causation. That is to say, if A happens and then B happens, that does not mean A caused B.

Coincidence is A happening and then B happening.
Correlation is A consistently/repeatedly happening and then B consistently/repeatedly happening.
Causation is A happening which necessarily causes B to happen.

You are at the stage of coincidence, since you have a single data point (your vehicle with one delayed software version update).

Reactions: Rocky_H and Ande