TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Not what you want to see on a Saturday night...

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by rudholm, Sep 7, 2019.

1. rudholm

rudholm Member

OK, so the car apparently had had enough time to think about what it had done and now it is working normally.

It was sitting there, no outside door handles, no headlights, no 12V at all. I put the key in, turned it, nothing. Turned the key back, car turns on. I dismissed the errors and warnings, took it out of Tow Mode, tried to put it into gear, it insisted I wasn't pressing the brake pedal (I was, and the brake lights were on). So I tried to charge it, and that worked. After the charge, the car behaved normally again.

So, yeah, scratching my head here. I'd really like to know what was going on so I can arrange to have it not happen again.

2. rudholm

rudholm Member

This actually sounds like what happened to my car. It happened after the garage had been hot for a while (the last two weeks of August and the first week of September tend to be the hottest weeks of the year in Los Angeles) and the car seemed to be reporting a sheet failure that the logs didn't substantiate, which sounds like it could be that rivet/sense wire problem. The weather cooled down the last day or two.

3. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

If your problem was indeed the rivet for the BMB Sensor then your logs would have shown cells with voltages that were substantially in disagreement with other cells. Your logs do not show this.

4. rudholm

rudholm Member

Well that didn't last long. Same error mode again.

5. rudholm

rudholm Member

It sounds like ChadS had the same situation --sheet error but the bricks were within normal ranges.

Maybe there's some related component that has gone bad?

6. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

Chad’s reported results from Tesla:

“In the case of your car, one of the sense lead rivets developed some impedance at its connection to the collector plate. This then causes a voltage drop and the BMB and BSM get incorrect data from the sense lead. The impendence of the connection had grown to the point that the BSM basically thought the pack was overcharged and would not allow the car to start or charge.”

Your voltages all appeared good. Chad’s were not. I added the bold highlight. The voltage drop across the rivet would cause the measured voltage at the bms to be higher.

• Like x 1
  7. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

Wouldn't the codes 259 1522 point to the BMB boards, or at least their connection prior to the BMS?

8. rudholm

rudholm Member

I should try this. Are there pictures somewhere so I know how to find the APS connector on the PEM?

9. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

(Wouldn't the codes 259 1522 point to the BMB boards, or at least their connection prior to the BMS?)

I agree. They would. Except that the provided data (voltages all good) doesn’t fit with the codes. There is also the seemingly related problem of the 12v system which to me sounds like an APS problem. That could be as bad or worse than the sheet problem from a repair standpoint. I am certainly not an expert, just trying to armchair troubleshoot and offer my limited experiences with my own repairs.

10. rudholm

rudholm Member

Ah, indeed. I remembered Chad saying his Vmin:Vmax were close but now that I look again, he said they were close about a year prior to the failure. So hopefully it's something relatively easy to fix, like the APS connector or something.

11. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

Look at the PEM cleaning thread under the stickies. The APS connector at the PEM is in the right rear most corner of the PEM. Do not disconnect under power.

12. rudholm

rudholm Member

Got it. I'll check it when I get home this evening.

13. rudholm

rudholm Member

APS connector on the PEM looks free of any bent pins or scorching or other signs of trouble.

14. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

At least that was easy to check. Keep us posted about any other findings.