Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notable change in 17.34 (folding mirror routines)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you double checked to see that you still have auto folding mirrors off? I just tested this scenario on my vehicle and I couldn't get the mirrors to auto-unfold no matter what I did. I locked and unlocked with button on remote, left and approached car and put the car in drive and reverse and they stayed folded the whole time. I have software 2017.34 2448cfc

I've already determined "random things" can happen with mirrors, driver profiles, etc... and found that settings hardly matter in some cases.

I still get a kick out of the one where moving the headlight controls slider from Auto to On to Parking ... all responding and doing what it says, until moving slider from Parking to OFF --- then BING!! headlights come ON in the OFF position. Am I going mad!? No. It's Tesla. Under certain circumstances, car in Park... after having driven a bit... and it was a full moon this was happening and repeatable. Posted about it here somewhere.

This is a huge problem for me. I park very close to side wall...I manually fold the mirrors in when I pull in my garage. I have the auto folding mirrors set to "off." Up until this update when I got back in the car they would stay folded until I hit the button again. Now when I go by my car or press the handle to come out..the mirrors come out. THIS caused my passenger side mirror to open up against the wall and scratch it.

I can't seem to figure out how to not do it so the mirrors will not open until I tell it to.

I'm fine with the above 10MPH thing but I can't have them unfold on their own.

Help!

I believe you should ask Tesla to pay the cost of fixing the scratch. They changed the functionality of your car without your prior knowledge or consent. Pushing back in this manner is the only way we are going to get Tesla to stop dicking around with our cars in ways that we don't approve or desire.

I don't like this at all. I accidentally ran into my passenger side mirror while I was trying to walk past the car in the garage to put a boxes filled with clothes we no longer wear into the trunk. So this has to change before I run into my driver's mirror trying to squeeze past the car to get into the car. Guess I'll have to manually fold them in with the interior button....Tesla you should really reverse this "feature". That im pretty sure everyone hate's.

I'm trying to narrow down the circumstances when I get "random" fold, even though I have auto-folding turned off in my profile..

Mirrors auto-folded on me going into the store this a.m. And the only way to get them unfolded was to hit the interior button when I returned to car and got it. Or I could have just started driving and they would have unfolded at speed (the new feature). I've tried it both ways.

I'm starting to see a pattern ..

Hey Tesla here's my best guess on this particular bug: If the driver profile of the person who most recently drove the car before me has auto-folding enabled and they did a walk-away and mirrors folded, the mirrors will fold for me too on the first drive cycle that I'm operating the car on my fob but not subsequent drive cycles. So there's a "day old memory effect" that takes one drive cycle to "flush" the previous driver preference out of the car's active profile session.

Tesla don't bother fixing this bug (you'll create some other bug). Solve the problem instead and just make it work - see the solution posted upthread.

I didn't see one complain about the old mirror behavior on the forum. Why change it?

Seriously - why did they break something that was working fine for years? It's almost as if one engineer wanted his car to unfold with unlock, so he pushed a patch and nobody internally was against it.

I jumped from .32 to .36, and this change to the mirrors is really annoying. Like so many others, walking through the narrow garage is now popping out the mirrors and getting in the way. Then they fold back in after a few minutes, and if I'm making several trips, they're going to just keep cycling. It's unnecessary wear, and serves no improvement to the system compared to unfolding when the doors opened.

Seems like everyone covered all the issues with this change. Just posting to voice my displeasure with this change as well in hopes that Tesla is lurking on here. Really don't like this behavior and logically it just doesn't make any sense when the car unlocks when you approach it from the front putting the mirrors in your path. Please Please Please revert it back to the old behavior.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Yes, the automatic unfold-on-unlock or unfold-on-car-start or unfold-on-door-open behaviors all invite disaster when car is parked close to a pillar. Perhaps the engineer who implemented this doesn't own a car, has never parked in a garage, or spends all of his/her time working from home -- certainly s/he doesn't appear to understand that you might need to leave the mirrors folded until you've finished exiting the tight space you've wedged the car into.

Sheesh.

Alan

P.S. Since Tesla is so efficient about creating, retaining and accessing car logs at their convenience, I suggest that whoever winds up with a damaged mirror as the result of this behavior immediately contact Tesla, have them pull the logs of the event, and confirm for themselves that their software damaged the car. Then argue in favor of them paying all costs related to the incident. Heck, maybe your insurance company will have some enthusiasm for this approach.

• Disagree
Reactions: boaterva
I think the best behavior would be to unfold when pressing on the brake pedal, that would save a lot of wear and tear along with giving some control as to when they started the unfolding process. The unfolding process would be right about the same length of time as the "bulb" check time for the startup sequence.

Reactions: JohnnyG
It seems to me that whatever coder changed this didn't think people kept their fob on them when they aren't getting in/out the car immediately. Seems shortsighted, especially if the "the phone is your key" movement from the 3 comes to the S/X as I'm sure many keep their phone on them.

Honestly, I would be fine if the behavior with auto-fold turned on went back to the way it was. With auto-fold turned off, I love the new 10 mph unfold. Now I manually fold in my mirror when pulling into the garage and as I leave the garage they unfold when I'm clear and gaining speed. It would be nice if the auto-unfold had a slider for off/on unlock/on startup/on at 10 mph to provide everyone their preference, but I suspect we will see reversion to the prior logic in a future update. It will be sad to see the 10 mph unfold go away, but I went years manually folding and unfolding, so I'll adapt.

Reactions: boaterva
Why is Tesla wasting time making and (hopefully) testing such changes while they have other unfinished work could be doing? What was wrong with the old way? Maybe this is for people like Elon who have huge garages. We have 2 MS in the garage and mirrors folded helps a lot. Now one has to hit the remote, or manually fold the mirror by pushing it closed when walking between cars. At the very least this new "feature" should have been optional, even if on by default.

This is one of the drawbacks of OTA updates, if someone at Tesla decides something is a good idea, you get it whether you like it or not. The car you end up with is no longer the car you bought.

Here’s a difference if I’m following this correctly and my new X on 17.36 is working ‘as designed’. I walk thorough the garage a lot and she wakes up all the time (headlights flash, etc.). But I have Passive Entry mode disabled and the car is locked, so I need to unlock ‘manually’. Do I assume correctly that’s why I’m not seeing waving mirrors? They are set to auto fold, of course.