Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notable Tesla Charge-Equipment (and other) Milestones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note: See also more detailed price history of selected Tesla charge equipment (e.g., 2009-2023).

*****​

As sometimes happens, this idea started out small and then expanded. My original focus was on North American (primarily USA) wall and mobile charging connectors. But then it seemed germane to also bring in selected Tesla Motors-related milestones. So far I've "Googled" online sources, like Forbes and InsideEVs. Not surprisingly, there are occasional contradictory or conflicting dates. Another (interesting) source is the Search function in the TMC Forum itself. Over the years, members have created timely posts about interesting events and products. So they can sometimes help pinpoint milestone dates.

Feel free to let me know about erroneous data (please provide valid references) or suggest other interesting milestones (again, references please). For size reasons, we probably must limit numbers of references. For example, we can't include every Tesla charging accessory worldwide or get into the Tesla company financial/stock market weeds. Perhaps I've included too much of that already? (I may delete some entries I've initially included.) Prices are in US dollars. Dates for car models are intended to be when cars were first released to the American public.

Selected Tesla Charging-Equipment​

Milestones (for North America)

Abbreviations and Acronyms:

14-50 .............................. NEMA 14-50 adapter-plug for UMC and MC
CCS1 ............................... CCS1 Adapter
CHAdeMO ..................... CHAdeMO DC adapter
CMC ................................. Gen 1 (40a) Corded Mobile Connector (NEMA 14-50 plug only)
HPWC .............................. Gen 1 or Gen 2 High Power (80a) Wall Connector (hard-wired, w/Tesla proprietary plug)
J1772 ............................... J1772 adapter
J1772 WC ....................... Gen 3 (48a) Wall Connector (hard-wired; w/J1772 plug)
MC .................................... Gen 2 (32a) Mobile Connector (multiple wall-plug-adapters)
NEMA 14-50 WC ........ Gen 2 (40a) Wall Connector (w/cord & NEMA 14-50 plug)
T ........................................ Tesla
UMC ................................. Gen 1 (40a) Universal Mobile Connector (optional wall-plug-adapters provided and available)
UMC ................................. Original Roadster Universal Mobile Connector (optional wall-plug-adapters provided and available)
WC .................................... Gen 3 (48a) Wall Connector (hard-wired, w/Tesla proprietary plug)

Date​
Mobile
Connector​
Wall
Connector​
Corded
Mobile
Connector​
Car
Models​
Other​
October 2023​
new "Universal" WC*
February 19, 2023​
CCS1 price decrease ($175)​
January 18, 2023​
WC price increase ($425)​
December 14, 2022​
WC holiday decrease ($350)​
November 18, 2022​
MC Price increase ($230)​
October 18, 2022​
J1772 WC ($550)​
September 21, 2022​
CCS1 ($250)​
April 28, 2022​
14-50 back in MC​
April 17, 2022​
MC price decrease ($200)​
WC price decrease ($400)​
price decrease ($200)​
no MC w/new cars​
April 7, 2022​
Texas, USA Gigafactory​
March 22, 2022​
Germany Gigafactory​
December 1, 2021​
T-headquarters to Texas​
November 2, 2021​
Gen2 J1772 WC ($415)​
price decrease ($400)​
October 11, 2021​
public FSD Beta testing​
October 1, 2021​
T halts ChadeMO sales​
June 3, 2021​
Model S Plaid​
July 2020​
first 4-quarter profit​
March 13, 2020​
Model Y​
January 13, 2020​
Gen 3 WC ($500)​
October 23, 2019​
China Gigafactory​
2019​
14-50 removed from MC​
January 15, 2019​
NEMA 14-50 WC ($500)​
January 2018​
MC (w/new cars)​
14-50 provided with MC​
July 28, 2017​
Model 3​
February 1, 2017​
"T" Motors → "T, Inc."​
October 2016​
FSD development​
May 25, 2016​
CMC ($520)​
April 12, 2016​
Gen 2 HPWC ($500)​
October 14, 2015​
Autopilot software​
September 29, 2015​
Model X​
October 6, 2013​
T first offers CHAdeMO​
May 8, 2013​
first quarterly profit​
September 24, 2012​
first Superchargers​
June 22, 2012​
UMC (w/new cars)​
Gen 1 HPWC ($750)​
Model S​
J1772 (w/new cars)​
October 27, 2010​
Fremont, California factory​
June 29, 2010​
T goes public​
October 1, 2009​
UMC ($1500)
February 1, 2008​
Roadster
January 7, 2008​
Original T founders**
shown the door​
2006​
major funding secured​
2004​
E. Musk becomes T Board Chairman
E. Musk is largest T shareholder​
July 1, 2003​
Tesla Motors formed*​
_____
* Includes integrated J1772 adapter to allow convenient AC charging of virtually all North American electric car makes/models. (See NATA report here and Tesla information here.)
** Tesla Motors original founders Martin Eberhard & Marc Tarpenning.

Some Photos​

Sources: Archived Tesla Websites (unless otherwise indicated)

Tesla Original Roadster Universal Mobile Connector
Tesla Gen 1 Universal Mobile Connector
Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector
--------------Source: TMC Classified Ad
Tesla (Gen 1) Corded Mobile Connector
J1772 Adapter
CHAdeMO Adapter

Tesla Gen 1 High Power Wall Connector
Tesla Gen 2 High Power Wall Connector
Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector

Last edited:
CHAdeMO adapter was about when Tesla entered the Japanese market. Circa 2016.
And it was removed from the US market around Oct 1st, 2021 per this post:

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Yes, I intended to add everyone's favorite adapter. (Ha, ha.) Actually offered by Tesla earlier than I realized.
Notable quotation at the end of that article (publish date Oct. 6, 2013):

"This means that in terms of market penetration CHAdeMO will remain far ahead of the Combo Charging System for the foreseeable future. Both the Leaf and Model S are selling in the 10's of thousands of cars per year, while we have yet to see what the sales rate for Combo Charging System cars will be."

Seems like the author, Mr. Herron, couldn't see past a couple of years into the future. I recall that when I bought my CHAdeMO adapter (Sept. 2019), there had already been talk about how CHAdeMO is (was) a dying standard and that it would be foolish to stick with something that was going the way of the dodo. However, today it's my main method of charging. I don't have home charging (Gen2 WC still in its box) since there's a cheap CHAdeMO station about a mile from my house. I've drastically cut back on my driving since retiring and COVID so I only need to charge about once every two to three weeks. I've used my CHAdeMO adapter on a couple of trips to Oregon at free stations and whenever EA offers free sessions in town so I'm getting my money's worth out of it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and tps5352
This is an interesting list. I don't have exact dates or prices but, the slow, painful start of the Roadster charging equipment might interest some. Here's a brief list from my recollection for which we can look for details later:
- Initial Level 1 (120v) charging cable with yellow cable. 2008, free with each Roadster. It just plugged into wall, no box or anything. This was all that was available in 2008.
- Roadster Foundry mobile charging cable set with multiple plug adapters. Developed and manufactured by Martin Eberhart following the purge by the board led by Elon Musk. Handled up to 40 amps.
- Original HPWC (High Powered Wall Charger). Supported up to 70 amps. Had heat and smoke detectors in it as Tesla was very concerned about getting a bad reputation from a fire.
- Basic Mobile Connector by Tesla. Had NEMA 14-50 and charged at a max of 32 amps.
- Tesla UMC. Supported many different plug types, similar to today's UMC but with Roadster connector
- Clipper Creek TS-100, 70 amp HPWC. Similar to their CS-100 but with Roadster connector. For those who have been to Harris Ranch, it is the one on the wall of the gas station convenience store.
- J-1772 to Roadster adapter. Supported up to 70 amps. Became available after the installation of public 70 amp J-1772 charging stations along CA-101 and a few other places in California.
- Model S to Roadster adapter for early Model S owners who already had Roadster charging stations.
- HC Sharp's Can Jr and Can Sr - 3rd party adapters for J-1772 and Model S connectors (respectively).

Very helpful. Check out a more detailed table here to see if it agrees with your list.
It seems fairly good. I had forgotten about EV Components taking on Eberhart's design. He actually published the design as well.
You missed a few steps along the way but its of more historical interest than economic since the early Roadster volumes were so low that there was no economy of scale involved. Making and selling charging stations was, like Superchargers, a necessary enabling product for early EVs rather than a viable profit area.

New "Universal" Wall Connector reported to be coming in October. (See here.) Should help bridge the period when non-Tesla cars are gradually adopting the Tesla North American Charging Standard.
Their video shows that to be really handy for any multi brand EV owner or Destination Charger. Hopefully the thumb levers are sturdy, looks like that’s the only obvious weak spot