Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Note the change in Model S safety claims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was reported at the time the crash test rating came out that Tesla annoyed the NHTSA when it proclaimed that the Model S was "the safest car in America" based on its score. It was pointed out in numerous places that the NHTSA doesn't test most luxury vehicles, and therefore that Tesla had no business making that claim. Well, now it's caught up to them. The original blog has been removed and their claim is now "the highest safety rating in America" to comply with new advertising rules from the NHTSA.

"Tesla's claim was an example of the potential confusion and inaccuracy that could be caused by incorrect use of the five-star ratings information in advertising and marketing statements," NHTSA said Wednesday in a statement. "As a result, NHTSA reviewed its advertising guidelines and made updates to ensure consumers receive accurate and consistent information."

Although I consider the car to be extremely safe, in my opinion that original claim was imprudent and a clear case of stretching the truth--a practice I truly hope the company will cease because it damages their credibility. Not to mention that you generally don't want to piss off the governmental body that helps oversee your products.

From what I understand reading other sources, this change was brought about by claims that the car scored "over" a 5.0. I believe I read somewhere that someone quoted a score of 5.4, but may not be sure. NHTSA does not officially release numbers over a 5.0, so they are cracking down on such claims. Evidently Tesla was not the only ones NHTSA has told to correct their advertising.

@ AnOutsider - A slapping like the leading brands of toothpaste, washing powder, anti-aging cream etc, etc get, you mean? Like they all haven't been making ridiculously unfounded claims since they first started advertising! It's just marketing hype. I agree, though, that T should rise above it and let its products speak for themselves. It's a bit difficult taking that stance when your detractors are, again, hyping an issue that makes your products out to be sub-standard.