Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Note to self: Don't leave sunglasses in Model 3 during the summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
I left a pair of prescription sunglasses on top of a microfiber cloth inside the center console. Apparently, I closed the lid on top of the frame. I came back a few hours later, and the frame was bent almost half an inch in height between the temples. I ended up using a hair-dryer to correct the frame after watching this YouTube video:

Other options include ordering an organizer, cabin overheat protection, etc.

Reactions: SammichLover
I left a pair of prescription sunglasses on top of a microfiber cloth inside the center console. Apparently, I closed the lid on top of the frame. I came back a few hours later, and the frame was bent almost half an inch in height between the temples. I ended up using a hair-dryer to correct the frame after watching this YouTube video:

Also don't set heavy items, close doors on your undoubtably expensive prescription glasses...that came with a to mitigate such things? ;) That's what I've tried to do, although sometimes I forget.

Do you have heat block film (AKA "tint") on all sides? That's made a big difference for me.

Also don't set heavy items, close doors on your undoubtably expensive prescription glasses...that came with a to mitigate such things? ;) That's what I've tried to do, although sometimes I forget.

Do you have heat block film (AKA "tint") on all sides? That's made a big difference for me.

I have yet to place tint on my vehicles, although its common. Although it doesn't weigh too heavily on my decision, I try to get as much sun as I can get during the Winter months and went with removable screens. We used to have screens that extended from the bottom of the windows on our Minivan, but would tend to use it more for privacy. In NJ, we are not permitted to tint front side windows or windshield, and in NYC, the tinting laws are as follows:

Windshield: Must allow more than 70% of light in (non-reflective tint with any darkness can be used on top 6 inches).
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in. Rear Window: Any darkness can be used if using dual exterior rear view mirrors.

Reactions: SammichLover

If you start the class action, I’ll join. This is unacceptable.

OK, so I do the same thing, but have them in an organizer, in the console... I also reject the "hippy" stuff, though, and keep my heat protection on, and leave climate on, while running errands, going to lunch, etc... (I do have a garage at work, so that might help.)

Reactions: Dana1
Windshield: Must allow more than 70% of light in (non-reflective tint with any darkness can be used on top 6 inches).
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in. Rear Window: Any darkness can be used if using dual exterior rear view mirrors.
Yeah, I know about the NY law. That's part of why I went with 70% transparency all the way around, to keep it as close to legal as feasible across NA. For places like NJ it remains plausible. :p TX law actually says "no tint" on the windshield, other than that band at the top, but functionally (and legally) 70% is "no tint". Don't know what NJ case law is like on this but 70% is light enough that you really don't stand out....other than you look a bit like a square geezer in a fish bubble when you're parked next to a tinted-out car. ;)

I hear you on the winter part, though. It is suboptimal that the sun will mostly be heating the window, which is something but not as good as being in a greenhouse, and heating in a BEV tends to be far more battery intensive than AC.

And yes, the 3M Crystaline 70% VLT film is really good at blocking heat. The 75% Spectra Photosync is a bit better yet, but it is another step up in price and the shops that carry it are very limited in number around here. Perhaps when I end up having to replace the windshield I'll go to a shop that has Photosync. A shop locally quoted me $300 for the windshield alone. I can probably swallow that, it was the quote for doing all the windows, and their price on a wrap, that I choked on.

Last edited:
And what does this have to do with a Tesla, beside just happening to be in one? This is a great example of a YouTube "journalist" creating absolutely bogus news. (and even seems to admit that they were probably bent just by closing a lid on them)