Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notes for Putting on Modern Spare

PianoAl

Dec 15, 2019
Far Northern California
When I rotated the tires today, there were some things I'd forgotten. For example, I couldn't find the 21 mm socket until I realized I have a double sided 21/22 mm socket), so I made this tape-laminated cheat sheet for changing a tire on the road (perhaps in the rain at night):

20210103_181709.jpg

and here's the text:

1. Remember to put on parking brake and use chocks.

2. Undoing the lug nuts: Use the 21 mm socket. I’ve left that on the tire iron, ready to go. It’s double sided, 21 mm on one side and 22 mm on the other.

3. Use the non-recessed holes on the The Modern Spare spare tire at center of spokes (does it matter??).

4. The lug nuts for The Modern Spare (in the plastic bag) are 19 mm (you cannot use the ones for the regular tires because the socket won’t fit.. The socket for that is also double sided.

5. Torque should be 129 ft-lbs. Set it zero when done.

sduck

Mr. Duck
Nov 6, 2017
Nashville TN
Good info to have! I haven't yet had to use my Modern Spare, and hope to not ever have to, but knowing things when you do helps.

MMcKay

Sep 22, 2019
South Florida
When I rotated the tires today, there were some things I'd forgotten. For example, I couldn't find the 21 mm socket until I realized I have a double sided 21/22 mm socket), so I made this tape-laminated cheat sheet for changing a tire on the road (perhaps in the rain at night):

View attachment 623958

and here's the text:

1. Remember to put on parking brake and use chocks.

2. Undoing the lug nuts: Use the 21 mm socket. I’ve left that on the tire iron, ready to go. It’s double sided, 21 mm on one side and 22 mm on the other.

3. Use the non-recessed holes on the The Modern Spare spare tire at center of spokes (does it matter??).

4. The lug nuts for The Modern Spare (in the plastic bag) are 19 mm (you cannot use the ones for the regular tires because the socket won’t fit.. The socket for that is also double sided.

5. Torque should be 129 ft-lbs. Set it zero when done.

I just received my Modern Spare, and from the above notes I think there may have been some updates.

Here is a quick review.

First off the quality of everything is top notch.
1. The bag is reinforced and seems quite durable.
2. The scissor jack and ratcheting handle feel to be a little bit better than the scissor jacks that are included by most OEMs.
3. The lug wrench and socket is a nice retractable design instead of some of those shorter or two piece ones most OEMs use.
4. Lastly the wheel and tire are great, I am very impressed with the RIM's weight and craftsmanship

Now onto the part that I think may have changed, it looks like Modern Spare has now made one set of holes larger to accommodate the Tesla OEM Nuts. The holes that are at all the spokes are noted in the instructions that came with the kit to be used for Teslas. In the below pictures you can see that they holes are now a bit bigger and I have a Tesla OEM Nut with the wrench and it fits!

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

Lastly, I am extremely happy with their choice in tire size and brand. The are using a Congenital sContact tire which is available at Tirerack incase you ever need a replacement. Also Tire Rack stocks three other tires in the same size as well.

Here is a link for anyone interested in the tire they are using:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8MR8SCON&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: CO_MY and KenC

phobos512

Dec 31, 2018
Earth
I’ll soon be using 265/35/19s on a 2021 M3P - tire diameter is 0.2” smaller than stock. Can I still use this modern spare tire?

That's an ideal diameter difference of 0.8% (the regular tires are 0.8% smaller). Six revolutions per mile. However, tires heat up during driving, tires don't have exact tire pressures in them at all times, tires are not all identical to the measured size when they come out of the mold, different manufacturers size things differently (just like jeans), and finally, tires wear. You have nothing to be concerned about.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoodbyeICE

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC