Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notes for Putting on Modern Spare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I rotated the tires today, there were some things I'd forgotten. For example, I couldn't find the 21 mm socket until I realized I have a double sided 21/22 mm socket), so I made this tape-laminated cheat sheet for changing a tire on the road (perhaps in the rain at night):

20210103_181709.jpg

and here's the text:

1. Remember to put on parking brake and use chocks.

2. Undoing the lug nuts: Use the 21 mm socket. I’ve left that on the tire iron, ready to go. It’s double sided, 21 mm on one side and 22 mm on the other.

3. Use the non-recessed holes on the The Modern Spare spare tire at center of spokes (does it matter??).

4. The lug nuts for The Modern Spare (in the plastic bag) are 19 mm (you cannot use the ones for the regular tires because the socket won’t fit.. The socket for that is also double sided.

5. Torque should be 129 ft-lbs. Set it zero when done.

When I rotated the tires today, there were some things I'd forgotten. For example, I couldn't find the 21 mm socket until I realized I have a double sided 21/22 mm socket), so I made this tape-laminated cheat sheet for changing a tire on the road (perhaps in the rain at night):

View attachment 623958

and here's the text:

2. Undoing the lug nuts: Use the 21 mm socket. I’ve left that on the tire iron, ready to go. It’s double sided, 21 mm on one side and 22 mm on the other.

3. Use the non-recessed holes on the The Modern Spare spare tire at center of spokes (does it matter??).

4. The lug nuts for The Modern Spare (in the plastic bag) are 19 mm (you cannot use the ones for the regular tires because the socket won’t fit.. The socket for that is also double sided.

I just received my Modern Spare, and from the above notes I think there may have been some updates.

Here is a quick review.

First off the quality of everything is top notch.
1. The bag is reinforced and seems quite durable.
2. The scissor jack and ratcheting handle feel to be a little bit better than the scissor jacks that are included by most OEMs.
3. The lug wrench and socket is a nice retractable design instead of some of those shorter or two piece ones most OEMs use.
4. Lastly the wheel and tire are great, I am very impressed with the RIM's weight and craftsmanship

Now onto the part that I think may have changed, it looks like Modern Spare has now made one set of holes larger to accommodate the Tesla OEM Nuts. The holes that are at all the spokes are noted in the instructions that came with the kit to be used for Teslas. In the below pictures you can see that they holes are now a bit bigger and I have a Tesla OEM Nut with the wrench and it fits!

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

Lastly, I am extremely happy with their choice in tire size and brand. The are using a Congenital sContact tire which is available at Tirerack incase you ever need a replacement. Also Tire Rack stocks three other tires in the same size as well.

Here is a link for anyone interested in the tire they are using:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8MR8SCON&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I’ll soon be using 265/35/19s on a 2021 M3P - tire diameter is 0.2” smaller than stock. Can I still use this modern spare tire?

That's an ideal diameter difference of 0.8% (the regular tires are 0.8% smaller). Six revolutions per mile. However, tires heat up during driving, tires don't have exact tire pressures in them at all times, tires are not all identical to the measured size when they come out of the mold, different manufacturers size things differently (just like jeans), and finally, tires wear. You have nothing to be concerned about.

• Helpful
Reactions: AJ.. and GoodbyeICE

and here's the text:

Sorry to awaken this old thread but it applies exactly to what happened to me today.

If you own one of these kits, TEST the supplied socket that fits your OEM lugs when the spare and test fit to the wheel BEFORE you need it. My Modern Spare instructions say to use the 21mm OEM lugs with the spare. There is NO mention of separate supplied lug nuts, nor did I get any. As PianoAl explained, my 2021 M3 LR AWD 18" wheels use the 21mm lugs and only fit the pattern on the spare that have the narrower diameter recessed lug holes on the wheel. The supplied 21mm socket is way too thick walled to go inside that wheel's lug hole. When I got the kit in 2021, I did test fit the wheel to the lug pattern but I did not go all the way and use their wrench and socket to finish test mounting it. I never dreamed the supplied socket would not fit inside the hole and I'd used my sockets to dismount the OEM tire and remount the spare.

Today I had a flat on the interstate and could not use the spare because of that socket. Fortunately I've always carried a Viair portable compressor and a tire plug kit in all my vehicles. I plugged the screw hole in the center of the tread and was on my way. I was 20 ft into the grass off the side apron and it was still scary (driver side rear flat)

I was pissed about the socket being too thick walled to use. After I got home I discovered my Craftsman 21mm deep socket will fit in the small wheel hole with the OEM 21mm lugs, so I'll carry it and my torque wrench with the kit.

If you have the kit and have not tried it at home, save yourself some heartache and test it using all of their supplied tools before you need it "out there".

Sorry to awaken this old thread but it applies exactly to what happened to me today.

If you own one of these kits, TEST the supplied socket that fits your OEM lugs when the spare and test fit to the wheel BEFORE you need it. My Modern Spare instructions say to use the 21mm OEM lugs with the spare. There is NO mention of separate supplied lug nuts, nor did I get any. As PianoAl explained, my 2021 M3 LR AWD 18" wheels use the 21mm lugs and only fit the pattern on the spare that have the narrower diameter recessed lug holes on the wheel. The supplied 21mm socket is way too thick walled to go inside that wheel's lug hole. When I got the kit in 2021, I did test fit the wheel to the lug pattern but I did not go all the way and use their wrench and socket to finish test mounting it. I never dreamed the supplied socket would not fit inside the hole and I'd used my sockets to dismount the OEM tire and remount the spare.

Today I had a flat on the interstate and could not use the spare because of that socket. Fortunately I've always carried a Viair portable compressor and a tire plug kit in all my vehicles. I plugged the screw hole in the center of the tread and was on my way. I was 20 ft into the grass off the side apron and it was still scary (driver side rear flat)

I was pissed about the socket being too thick walled to use. After I got home I discovered my Craftsman 21mm deep socket will fit in the small wheel hole with the OEM 21mm lugs, so I'll carry it and my torque wrench with the kit.

If you have the kit and have not tried it at home, save yourself some heartache and test it using all of their supplied tools before you need it "out there".
A very useful cautionary tale.
I have a modern spare purchased May 2022 for my MY with Geminis, and shipped to England at great expense.
I will test it soon as you a sensibly advise
although I am a little irrationally wary of jacking up the Y. I have a trolly jack for home but not for road trips. How did you find the scissor jack functioned and did you go with the pad on the jack or add a puck? I also travel with Holts Tyre Weld which I have used to good effect on other cars.

How did you find the scissor jack functioned and did you go with the pad on the jack or add a puck
The supplied scissor jack was adequate. I recently had a real life requirement to use it on the side of a very busy 6 lane Interstate highway. It did the job without the puck and I had no choice in that situation. Keep in mind when the tire is flat, the space under the car jack point is reduced. To compensate, I now carry a 10 x 10 x 2 inch piece of lumber to drive the flat tire onto before jacking. That provides enough vertical space for the jack "and" a puck in most cases. If you place it correctly, you can use the sissor jack without a puck as long as it's aligned with the lifting hole.

DO, test if the socket will fit inside the wheel hole with the lug nut. The one that came with my kit does not. A Craftsman 21mm deep socket does work on mine. No wiggle room, but it works. TEST it before you need it. Don't assume.

I carry similar. I have already started search for the 10x10x 2" thick piece of wood. Not as easy as it sounds
I found a piece from a new housing edition construction waste pile and cut it to length and gave a 45° bevel on one end, not that it needs it. That size lumber is heavy so you don't want it to be too big. Over here, some lumber yards have an odds and ends scrap pile with pieces you can buy.