Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notes on Four Aftermarket LED Interior Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
August 22, 2021 mini-Update

Brands
  • Abstract Ocean (tried white & red lights)
  • Oznium, on Amazon.com (tried white; red available)
  • RPM Tesla (tried white; red available)
  • Tesla (now EV) Offer (white only)
There are obviously other sources (e.g., on Amazon, eBay, or other sites) that I did not look at. Evannex comes to mind.

Test Vehicle

2021 Tesla Model X (pre-refresh version) - has 13 upgrade-able interior lights (11 white, two red)
  • frunk (2 lights)
  • glove-box (1)
  • front left & right foot-wells (2)
  • left & right bottom-door puddle lights (2)
  • left & right rear door-edge red safety lights (2)
  • left & right rear foot-well (2)
  • left-wall trunk light (1)
  • lift-gate trunk light (1)
Currently Installed.jpg

Perceived Brightness (non-scientific) (from brightest to least bright)
  1. RPM Tesla
  2. Oznium
  3. Abstract Ocean
  4. Tesla Offer
  5. OEM Tesla lights
Differences in brightness and beam patterns were apparent to the eye, but difficult to capture (by me) on cell-phone camera (either during the day or at night). Distinctions between successive entries in the above list could be pretty subtle. However, all four aftermarket lights were clearly and notably brighter than the, in comparison, rather dim Tesla OEM lights. Drivers and passengers will benefit from the use of any of these aftermarket brands, from what I could tell.

Order Delivery Times (include non-light parts deliveries)
  • Oznium (via Amazon) – 3 days (Colorado? to California)
  • Abstract Ocean – 3 days (Texas? to Sacramento, California area) (shipment #1)
    Abstract Ocean -- 5 days (shipment # 2)
    Abstract Ocean -- 4 days (shipment #3)
  • Tesla Offer – 4 days (Hong Kong to California—part of larger order)
  • RPM Tesla – 19 days (southern California to northern California) (order #1)
    RPM Tesla -- 21 days (order #2)
Random Notes on Fit and Installation
  • Abstract Ocean and RPM Tesla lights appear to fit and be applicable everywhere (i.e., all 13 locations, white and red).
  • All brands attached to OEM wiring connectors without problems.
  • Oznium included a small, metal flat-blade screwdriver in a professional-looking package. But do not use this to pry out existing Tesla light fixtures. It could damage the car and/or light. Use a small plastic trim removal tool (e.g., from Abstract Ocean, Amazon, or local auto parts store)—better yet get an inexpensive set (see below). Best use for metal screwdriver? Read below.
  • The hardest OEM Tesla light to remove (for me) was on the lift-gate in the trunk area. It took me three different plastic trim removal tools, sometimes two at a time. Really tight. A bright RPM Tesla light went there, as this location acts as an overhead light for the rear of the trunk when the lift-gate is fully open.
  • An Oznium light would NOT fit properly in the second trunk location—on the left-side interior wall (opposite to the outside charge port). It was too loose and would not stay in the opening. An RPM Tesla light went there, also.
  • I replaced the two rear foot-well lights--located in open skeletal mounts beneath the front seats--with one hand in a tight, (ironically) dark area. I’ve since read that these mounts are on rails or otherwise come out more easily? My bad. Regardless, use caution as the mounts can break. Support the mount carefully as you remove or install a light. Illuminate the area with a flashlight or cell phone. Maybe enlist the aid of a helper?
Advantages and Disadvantages
  • Abstract Ocean (AO) lights are bright and AO is very quick to process and deliver orders. And I like the fact that AO has apparently engineered a proper balance between maximum light brightness while maintaining a safe load on the car's electrical circuitry. Plus they offer light sets pre-tailored for each of the four Tesla car models. If you want a full light set (white and red) from one supplier, at a decent comparable price, and you want it quick, look no further.
  • The four Oznium lights were impressively packaged and included that small screwdriver, which is perfect for releasing the plastic catch that holds the Tesla wire connectors to all these lights. Oznium scores points for the screwdriver, for the short pigtail connector built-in to each light (particularly good for puddle light replacement), and for brightness. Oznium loses points for not quite fitting everywhere.
  • Tesla Offer lights seem fine. Not the brightest, but they fit and are the least expensive; plus, still brighter than OEM Tesla lights. Although they don’t currently offer red lenses (for the doors), you could replace the remaining 11 lights for just $77.
  • RPM Tesla annoyed me with its chronically slow shipping. But I have to admit that they appear to have the brightest lights (of this group). Worth waiting for? Would a full set put an excessive electrical load onto the car's circuit? Probably not. All I know is that they are good for the trunk and frunk areas at night. However, other lights--Abstract Ocean, Oznium--would also serve, as well. In my mind I keep coming back to the comparably slow deliveries. Why, RPM Tesla, why?
Prices (as of April 2021)

Abstract Ocean and Oznium offer complete Model X discounted light bundles. A complete bundle can also be cobbled together on the RPM Tesla site (if you are not in a hurry to receive them). Tesla Offer does not carry red lights.
  • Tesla Offer - $77 (11 white lights) (website: Tesla Offer)
  • Oznium - $104 (13 lights plus small metal screwdriver) (Oznium)
  • Abstract Ocean - $115 (all 13 lights plus sacrificial plastic tool) (Abstract Ocean)
  • RPM Tesla - $121 (13 lights) (RPM Tesla)
Tips
  • The videos make it look simple, and for many locations it is. But not for all. In general take care when disconnecting the OEM Tesla lights. Give yourself plenty of time. Don't work in the dark or in the cold (if possible). Difficulty varies widely depending on location of the lights.
  • Don’t break a connector or pull out a wire, and don’t use a metal tool that could damage your car. Use inexpensive plastic trim removal tools instead, and patience.
Durability and Longevity
  • Unknown. Time will tell. Since I am using all four aftermarket brands (in different locations), it will be interesting to see how they stand up.
  • Has anyone been using any of these brands for long enough to experience failures from age?
  • How long should we expect LED lights to last under normal conditions?
Final Question

What to do with all the functioning but rather dim* OEM Tesla lights? Maybe for a small 12-volt Christmas tree or dollhouse lighting?
______
* I could categorize certain politicians the same way.

Note: I am reminded to say that I am not affiliated or associated in any way with any of these businesses, received no special discount (above what you could get), and I received no compensation of any kind from any of these light/accessory companies.

Photos

03. AO, Oznium, RPM, TO, OEM.JPG Photo 1 (from left): Abstract Ocean, Oznium, RPM Tesla, Tesla Offer, and OEM Tesla plug-in lights (bottoms).
08. AO, Oznium, RPM, TO, OEM.JPG Photo 2: Same order (tops). You may be able to see different numbers of yellow LEDs under the clear lenses. For example, the OEM Tesla light has just one LED unit; RPM Tesla 6, I think.
17. with arrows.JPG Photo 3: Same order. Note that the Oznium lights differ from the other in design. For example, they have clear plastic tabs (to fit tight against edges of light holes) to the sides of the light body (see red arrow). The other models have them at the ends of the light body (see green arrow pointing at Tesla Offer light). This may explain why the Oznium light happened to be too loose in my trunk wall location.
23. Oznium Box.JPG 21. Oznium Box.JPG Photos 4 & 5. Oznium box.
26. AO Package.JPG Photo 6. Abstract Ocean package.
28. RPM Box.JPG 27. RPM Box.JPG Photos 7 & 8. RPM Tesla box.
24. Plastic Trim Tools.JPG Photo 9. Example of plastic trim tools; these from a kit for sale on Amazon.

Last edited:
appreciate the writeup and thoroughness

Thank you. When I was considering which brand to replace my interior lights with, it was confusing making sense of all the claims. This was (mostly) fun and informative.

Somewhat surprising to me that a high-tech company like Tesla would opt for such dim lighting. In addition to saving Tesla some production money (Hypothesis #1), is it because of government regulations on new cars (Hypothesis #2)? Do other car models suffer from such dim interior lighting? Here is one discussion which suggests that Tesla is worse than normal on this issue:

Thanks for the great notes @tps5352

The only other things I'd add is to note which certifications each of the lights have. I can't talk to the other brands, but it can make a difference when it comes to longevity of course, but also in terms of brightness, as anything like this has to manage it's thermal properties carefully. It's less important in S & X, as they're old-school in terms of the 12v circuit and having real fuses. 3 & Y (and presumably new S & X) have virtual fuses which are a lot more sensitive. In 3 & Y (not sure about S & X) the ground for the door circuits also runs through the puddle lights, so if the light fails, then so could the window mechanism. This is a long way of saying we got ours as bright as we could, given the thermal considerations, and having to work within the CE certification framework.

Brands
  • Abstract Ocean (tried white & red lights)
  • Oznium, on Amazon.com (tried white; red available)
  • RPM Tesla (tried white; red available)
  • Tesla Offer (tried white)
There are obviously other sources (e.g., on Amazon, eBay, or other sites) that I did not look at. Evannex comes to mind.

Test Vehicle

2021 Tesla Model X (pre-refresh version) - has 13 upgradeable interior lights (11white, two red)
  • frunk (2 lights)
  • glove-box (1)
  • front left & right foot-wells (2)
  • left & right bottom-door puddle lights (2)
  • left & right rear door-edge red safety lights (2)
  • left & right rear foot-well (2)
  • left-wall trunk light (1)
  • lift-gate trunk light (1)
View attachment 653638

Perceived Brightness (non-scientific) (from brightest to least bright)
  1. RPM Tesla
  2. Oznium
  3. Abstract Ocean
  4. Tesla Offer
  5. OEM Tesla lights
Differences in brightness and beam patterns were apparent to the eye, but difficult to capture (by me) on cell-phone camera. Distinctions between successive entries in the above list could be pretty subtle. However, all four aftermarket lights were clearly and notably brighter than the, in comparison, rather dim Tesla OEM lights. Drivers and passengers will benefit from the use of any of these aftermarket brands, from what I could tell.

Order Delivery Times
  • Abstract Ocean – 3 days (Texas? to Sacramento, California area)
  • Oznium (via Amazon) – 3 days (Colorado? to California)
  • Tesla Offer – 4 days (Hong Kong to California—part of larger order)
  • RPM Tesla – 19 days (southern California to northern California)
Random Notes on Fit and Installation
  • Abstract Ocean and RPM Tesla lights appear to fit and be applicable everywhere (i.e., all 13 locations, white and red).
  • All brands attached to OEM wiring connectors without problems.
  • Oznium included a small, metal flat-blade screwdriver in a professional-looking package. But do not use this to pry out existing Tesla light fixtures. It could damage the car and/or light. Use a small plastic trim removal tool (e.g., from Abstract Ocean, Amazon, or local auto parts store)—better yet get an inexpensive set (see below). Best use for metal screwdriver? Read below.
  • The hardest OEM Tesla light to remove was on the lift-gate in the trunk area. It took me three different plastic trim removal tools, sometimes two at a time. Really tight. A bright RPM Tesla light went there, as this location acts as an overhead light for the rear of the trunk when the lift-gate is fully open.
  • An Oznium light would NOT fit properly in the second trunk location—on the left-side interior wall (opposite to the outside charge port). It was too loose and would not stay in. An RPM Tesla light went there, also.
  • I replaced the two rear foot-well lights--located in open skeletal mounts beneath the front seats--with one hand in a tight, (ironically) dark area. I’ve since read that these mounts are on rails or otherwise come out more easily? My bad. Regardless, use caution as the mounts can break. Support the mount carefully as you remove or install a light. Illuminate the area with a flashlight or cell phone. Maybe enlist the aid of a friend?
Advantages and Disadvantages
  • Abstract Ocean (AO) lights are bright and AO is very quick to process and deliver orders. If you want a full set (white and red) from one supplier and you want it quick, look no further.
  • The four Oznium lights were impressively packaged and included that small screwdriver, which is perfect for releasing the plastic catch that holds the Tesla wire connectors to all these lights.
  • Oznium scores points for the screwdriver, for the short pigtail connector built-in to each light (particularly good for puddle light replacement), and for brightness. Oznium loses points for not quite fitting everywhere.
  • Tesla Offer lights seem fine. Not the brightest, but they fit and are the least expensive; plus, still brighter than OEM Tesla lights. Although they don’t currently offer red lenses (for the doors), you could replace the remaining 11 lights for just $77.
  • RPM Tesla annoyed me with its slow shipping. But I have to admit that they appear to have the brightest lights (of this group). Worth waiting for? All I know is that they are really good for the trunk and frunk areas at night.
Prices (as of April 2021)

Abstract Ocean and Oznium offer complete Model X discounted light bundles. A complete bundle can also be cobbled together on the RPM Tesla site (if you are not in a hurry to receive them). Tesla Offer does not carry red lights.
  • Tesla Offer - $77 (11 white lights) (website: Tesla Offer)
  • Oznium - $104 (13 lights plus small screwdriver) (Oznium)
  • Abstract Ocean - $115 (all 13 lights plus sacrificial plastic tool) (Abstract Ocean)
  • RPM Tesla - $121 (13 lights) (RPM Tesla)
Tips
  • The videos make it look simple, and for many locations it is. But not all. In general take care when disconnecting the OEM Tesla lights. Difficulty varies widely depending on location.
  • Don’t break a connector or pull out a wire, and don’t use a metal tool that could damage your car. Use inexpensive plastic trim removal tools instead, and patience.
Durability and Longevity
  • Unknown. Time will tell. Since I am using all four aftermarket brands (in different locations), it will be interesting to see how they stand up.
  • Has anyone been using any of these brands for long enough to experience failures from age?
  • How long should we expect LED lights to last under normal conditions?
Final Question

What to do with all the functioning but rather dim OEM Tesla lights?* Maybe for a small 12-volt Christmas tree or dollhouse lighting?
______
* I could ask the same thing about certain politicians.

Note: I am reminded to say that I am not affiliated or associated in any way with any of these businesses, and I received no compensation of any kind from any of these light/accessory companies.

Photos

View attachment 653620 Photo 1 (from left): Abstract Ocean, Oznium, RPM Tesla, Tesla Offer, and OEM Tesla plug-in lights (bottoms).
View attachment 653621 Photo 2: Same order (tops). You may be able to see different numbers of yellow LEDs under the clear lenses. For example, the OEM Tesla light has just one LED unit; RPM Tesla 6, I think.
View attachment 653623 Photo 3: Same order. Note that the Oznium lights differ from the other in design. For example, they have clear plastic tabs (to fit tight against edges of light holes) to the sides of the light body (see red arrow). The other models have them at the ends of the light body (see green arrow pointing at Tesla Offer light). This may explain why the Oznium light happened to be too loose in my trunk wall location.
View attachment 653624 View attachment 653625 Photos 4 & 5. Oznium box.
View attachment 653626 Photo 6. Abstract Ocean package.
View attachment 653628 View attachment 653629 Photos 7 & 8. RPM Tesla box.
View attachment 653630 Photo 9. Example of plastic trim tools; these from a kit for sale on Amazon.
How bout these lights, they all probably got them here. tesla model 3 lights interior led - Buy tesla model 3 lights interior led with free shipping on AliExpress

Excellent thread.
I replaced the puddle lights and foot well lights of my M Y
For the Puddle lights I used "EastFly Never Fade Ultra-Bright Led" For about $20 per pair.
I got the tesla logo for the heck of it. they actually look very good.
For the Interior lights by a company called Pudo for $25.99 for all 4 .

I posted photos. The footwell light photos are screenshots from a video and you can't see them well but you can see the difference between the OEM ,on the passenger side and the new light on the the driver's side

I have not looked into changing the dome lights or hatchback light. Although I'd like to.
Need to look into that.
Are they easily changeable?
Any one know if the dome lights are the same in different models ( I have a Y) and have any recommendations for aftermarket replacements?

Tesla driversfootwell1.jpg
tesla footwellsbothscreensht.jpg
TeslaPuddlelightviber_image_2021-06-13_12-06-47marked.jpg

Reactions: tps5352
Excellent thread.
I replaced the puddle lights and foot well lights of my M Y
For the Puddle lights I used "EastFly Never Fade Ultra-Bright Led" For about $20 per pair.
I got the tesla logo for the heck of it. they actually look very good.
For the Interior lights by a company called Pudo for $25.99 for all 4 .

I posted photos. The footwell light photos are screenshots from a video and you can't see them well but you can see the difference between the OEM ,on the passenger side and the new light on the the driver's side

I have not looked into changing the dome lights or hatchback light. Although I'd like to.
Need to look into that.
Are they easily changeable?
Any one know if the dome lights are the same in different models ( I have a Y) and have any recommendations for aftermarket replacements?

View attachment 672987View attachment 672988View attachment 672989
Where did you get this puddle light? Have you had any issues with it?

Where did you get this puddle light? Have you had any issues with it?
I ordered them from Amazon

I have had no issues with them. They are nice and bright and look great depending on the ground
Easy to install. I took a thin flathead screwdriver and covered the point with a little duct tape so I wouldn’t scratch anything.
Works better than a plastic tool

Company that makes them is called EastFly

EastFly Never Fade Ultra-Bright Led Puddle Door Lights Red Logo Projector Light for Tesla Model 3 Model S Model X Model Y (2. Blue Circle for Tesla)​

Are Links to product sales allowed? If so I can post a link but the above is the description as of a few minutes ago $20 for 2

Just found this thread but have to throw in for the Abstract Ocean lights. I've had them in my Model 3 for 2 1/2 years now, and the X since I bought it a year ago. Bright, perfect fit, TOP QUALITY -- I trust them 100%. No issues whatsoever.

Honestly, everything I've bought from AO has been top shelf. They are my go-to for Tesla accessories, bar none. Absolutely worth the money...

• Love
Reactions: pete8314
I had a short side conversation (by message) with pete8314 of AO. I am impressed that they took into consideration the additional electrical load that a full set of brighter lights would put on the car's circuitry. That balance of improved performance and responsibility--plus truely awesome delivery speed--makes AO stand out among the crowd, I think.