Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nothing very special about 0-60 times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 0-60 times are 5.6 and 5.1 seconds.

For comparison in BMW 3 series:

330i at $38750 has 0-60 at 5.5 sec
340i at $47900 has 0-60 at 4.8 sec

Is Tesla purposefully reducing acceleration to differentiate from Model S?

A 5.6 second EV in traffic or passing has similar performance to a 4.0 second ICE car.

Here is an example of a slower EV (6.3s to 60mph):

Bolt EV, passing 50-70mph : 3.5s
340i, passing 50-70mph : 6.5s (manual)
330i, passing 50-70mph : 4.4s (auto)

Both Bimmers have much higher power to weight numbers (and pricing), but they don't have an EV's passing power, especially on mountain roads at altitude, or with heavy passenger loads, or quick response in traffic.

Cmon posting standard BMW pricing is a joke and an improper comparison (had them for years...my last x5 cost was 30k higher than 'base'. They sell about one of these a year; the rest have 10k+ of premium package, technology package, etc

A 5.6 second EV in traffic or passing has similar performance to a 4.0 second ICE car.

Here is an example of a slower EV (6.3s to 60mph):

Bolt EV, passing 50-70mph : 3.5s
340i, passing 50-70mph : 6.5s (manual)
330i, passing 50-70mph : 4.4s (auto)

Both Bimmers have much higher power to weight numbers (and pricing), but they don't have an EV's passing power, especially on mountain roads at altitude, or with heavy passenger loads, or quick response in traffic.

Nice to know. Where do I get details acceleration times between any 2 speeds for all cars?

Huh, passing times on auto reviews are virtually meaningless since they are top-gear passing numbers. I can assure you that at 50mph a 330i or 340i will pass much faster than a Bolt without question unless you are very dumb by keeping the car in 7th gear. Good ICE cars feel much more powerful at speed compared to EVs. Just drive two back to back and the difference is VERY easy to tell.

No ICE car has instant torque and that's a major differentiator. Your Model 3 will toast either of the BMWs off the line. My S is 5.5 0-60 and it's a very fun, fast car. Don't get hung up on 0-60 unless your planning on going to the race track. In real life we're racing from traffic signal to traffic signal and the Tesla's instant torque will win every time.

I don't think they the 0-60! Times are bad but I thought they were going to crush the bummer times.

Maybe in the real world test it will be a little faster. At least is at fast as the, Honda type R, 2018 Subaru STi and the Golf R.

I don't see an issue with the numbers. They are inline with their competitors from BMW, Audi, MB, Infiniti, etc. We do not know AWD or Performance numbers.

Besides, I also ordered a 2018 STI 6MT (arrives August), so rowing my own gears and going 0-60 under 5 seconds will be a daily occurrence.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Don't be silly. 5.1 0-60 is more than enough for normal driving. Get an S if you want more.
And a non-premium stereo is more than enough for most people. People will always want more/better. The S is a rather large car, so many might be compromising in order to get the acceleration they want. Also, people may be comparing performance per dollar in the overall auto industry.