Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nothing very special about 0-60 times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is that, exactly? The guy is quoting Car & Driver as the bible, doesn't own a Tesla, and believes a 10 y/o IS350 is quicker to 30 than a new AWD 70D. Would you take that wager at the strip?
Dude seriously...,the other guy posted sources and all you come up with is "butt feel"-basically.
And if you activate google you will find some more tests that support his numbers.
I understand that an EV might feel faster simply because you don`t have to floor the gas for torque, but that doesn`t mean that it`s automatically always faster than an ICE in every situation if said ICE actually strains the engine a bit.
This is not about everyday use where I completely agree with your "butt feel", this is about what each of the cars can do if you drive the engine to the limit.
You wouldn`t argue about the Teslas being relatively "slow" past a certain speed due to missing gears either, would you?
Because there are simple measure- and verifyable technical facts that you can`t discuss away ;)

p.s.
The age of the car really doesn`t play a role here either.

Last edited:
Reactions: ikjadoon
... thus debunking the idea EVs are misunderstood because they may do the same 0-60 but they're magically SUPER fast ...

I'm familiar with acceleration and logging equipment.
I set 4 SCTA land speed records. I tuned an engine that was 310rwhp up to 936rwhp.
My best ET was low 9's at upper 140's. I hold an NHRA Super Gas license.

Texas Diesel Nationals:

Training for SCCA license:

Basically, I've driven. raced, and tuned naturally aspired, turbocharged, supercharged bikes, cars, trucks for over 40 years as a hobby.

And I also have over 1,000,000 street miles covering North America, probably half the states and Hawaii, Mexico, Canada. Fewer than 50,000 are EV miles.

I have no stake is saying that EVs have far less lag in real traffic situations. I don't sell or tune EVs, I've just driven them, and driven some really fast ICE cars. My experience driving all kinds of bikes, cars, and trucks on the road tells me the EV is easily the winner.

We will wait for the M3 and see if I'm right or you're right.

But I suggest you test drive some EVs sometime. It's free.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell that going from 50 to 70 mph in a 340i manual takes 6.5 second.

Cruise at 50 mph in top gear. Mash it.

That's actually fast for a manual. I have a few.

Unless you always drive everywhere at all times in top 30% of your tach, you end up in that situation sooner or later.

An EV has no gears. It's always in the top of the powerband at all speeds.

Man, what a mess of a thread and in no small part to @JonathanD; please keep posting, mate. We all need a laugh; please hug your Tesla tonight and buy it flowers. Maybe your Tesla will hug back this time. :oops:

The seemingly most salient points here:

1. ICE cars in this price range have torque, too. It isn't a zero-sum game; half-a-second delays don't negate the literal existence of hundreds of ft-lb of torque. @Knightshade is quite right.

2. ICE cars take effort & a moment or two of planning to achieve their rated 0-60mph times, as @sub, @insaneoctane, and @Zoomit have mentioned. Most typical car owners, I wager, have rarely actually made their ICE's 0-60mph time more than a half-dozen times; the lack of effort needed in an EV to hit a perfect 0-60mph makes them quicker with the way you drive. Car and Driver's 5-60mph times help show the extra effort needed in some ICE cars and how some ICE cars need a dead-stop to build-up as much torque as possible before you start the stopwatch.

I think most people, day-to-day, don't rev their engines and spool up their turbos all the time to keep torque high. Most of us leave a stoplight sans "launch techniques". A good read from Car and Driver on their tests:

In a manual-transmission car, we usually start acceleration runs with a wheel-spinning launch. It's simple: The engine is revved to a high rate, and the clutch is abruptly engaged. No power shifting or speed shifting is allowed, so we shift rapidly but by the everyday method of disengaging the clutch and lifting off the gas. With a great variety of vehicles, it's not always readily apparent which is the optimal launch technique, but we do our utmost to extract every ounce of speed from each one. Often we try launching the cars at varying rpm while hoping nothing breaks.

On most cars, we upshift at the engine's redline, but on torquey engines, we experiment with short shifting as well. With automatics, we try shifting manually if the transmission upshifts short of the redline.

The technique used with automatic transmissions is called brake torquing. With the left foot pressed securely on the brake, holding the car in place, the right foot squeezes down on the accelerator and the car is launched by releasing the brake pedal. That almost always results in quicker times than just flooring the car from a standstill.

Since most owners will seldom subject their cars to brutal launch techniques, we also perform what we call a street-start acceleration test from 5 to 60 mph. While rolling with the car in gear, we floor the accelerator at 5 mph and shift quickly at the optimal shift point.

We also perform two acceleration tests, from 30 to 50 mph and from 50 to 70, in a vehicle's highest gear. In vehicles with manual transmissions, this test measures how well a car's gearing matches the torque curve of its engine. With automatics, the test begins in top gear and then the car downshifts automatically under hard acceleration. This provides information about transmission responsiveness and actual passing times, but any comparison of results between manuals and automatics is meaningless.

But for those who do drive for maximum acceleration, the EV vs ICE differences are not so gaping, I think. It's just a lot easier in an EV to "max out".

Last edited:
Man, what a mess of a thread and in no small part to @JonathanD; please keep posting, mate. We all need a laugh; please hug your Tesla tonight and buy it flowers. Maybe your Tesla will hug back this time. :oops:

The seemingly most salient points here:

1. ICE cars in this price range have torque, too. It isn't a zero-sum game; half-a-second delays don't negate the literal existence of hundreds of ft-lb of torque. @Knightshade is quite right.

Glad I could entertain you. The discussion was about EVs being quicker off the line 0-30. The assertion was made, based upon Car & Driver articles, presumably from different issues, different drivers, and different environments, that an IS350 was quicker to 30 than an AWD EV with a similar 0-60 time. I proceeded to disagree with that, and still do.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
But for those who do drive for maximum acceleration, the EV vs ICE differences are not so gaping, I think. It's just a lot easier in an EV to "max out".
Fair reading, thanks.
I have to say though, that the ICE requirements read to me as drag racing and taking the car to the track. If I cared about this issue at all for my actual driving, I would be thinking of a passing situation on a climb.

Glad I could entertain you. The discussion was about EVs being quicker off the line 0-30. The assertion was made, based upon Car & Driver articles, presumably from different issues, different drivers, and different environments, that an IS350 was quicker to 30 than an AWD EV with a similar 0-60 time. I proceeded to disagree with that, and still do.

Right... everyone else is looking at instrumented data but none of that matters because your ass dyno is more accurate.

We get it. You "win". Good day to you sir!

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
To OP's actual point:

True. This is one of Tesla's disadvantages with the Model 3: options and performance have big gaps between tiers.

It's hard to price a customized a Model 3 for under $40k (easily doable in a BMW 3-series) and I suspect the same will be of performance. Tesla is unusual: not a single sedan with a 3.x second 0 to 60mph time. It takes a relatively massive leap between the 100D and P100D.

For comparison, the BMW 3-series (series is the key word here):

3 body styles (sedan, sports wagon, and gran turismo)
10 sedan models (5 x 2 for optional AWD), 2 sports wagons, and 4 gran turismo's
and maybe 15+ options/packages

The 3-series contains thousands of different permutations. Tesla is a bit more like Apple here: "We've figured out what you want and you'll like it."

Fair reading, thanks.
I have to say though, that the ICE requirements read to me as drag racing and taking the car to the track. If I cared about this issue at all for my actual driving, I would be thinking of a passing situation on a climb.

No worries; I was curious, too.

True; I want to say lighter cars will jump ahead proportionally here, but I don't know if that's a broad enough assumption.

Right... everyone else is looking at instrumented data but none of that matters because your ass dyno is more accurate.

We get it. You "win". Good day to you sir!

My ass dyno, and physics. We know the torque curves from both cars. IS needs to get to 5 or 6k RPM to get to peak power. It has an automatic transmission. One has AWD, one does not. The cards are heavily stacked against the Lexus in a quick hop to 30mph, but you can believe whatever you like.

One should never compare EV 0-60 numbers with ICE 0-60 numbers (those in specs)
Real test for ICE vehicle 0-xx acceleration is in Drive, foot on the brake pedal
and LIKELY engine killed due to start-stop. We can exclude start-stop but we
will not include sport gear nor holding two pedals or doing anything besides waiting
at the red light, foot on the brake pedal. No sport modes, no other funky selections.
Most cars are sluggish when kept at idle rpm at intersection launch in "default mode".
Preparing for some ultra-blabla stuff is not realistic. ICE vehicles are not
banged "pedal-to-the-metal" all day long. They just don't last that way.
EV's can be banged forever. Until you run out of juice.

Model 3 drivetrain is a new drivetrain. And it is NOT performance oriented. Price,
reliability and efficiency is above performance.

One should never compare EV 0-60 numbers with ICE 0-60 numbers (those in specs)
Real test for ICE vehicle 0-xx acceleration is in Drive, foot on the brake pedal
and LIKELY engine killed due to start-stop. We can exclude start-stop but we
will not include sport gear nor holding two pedals or doing anything besides waiting
at the red light, foot on the brake pedal. No sport modes, no other funky selections.
Most cars are sluggish when kept at idle rpm at intersection launch in "default mode".
Preparing for some ultra-blabla stuff is not realistic. ICE vehicles are not
banged "pedal-to-the-metal" all day long. They just don't last that way.
EV's can be banged forever. Until you run out of juice.

Model 3 drivetrain is a new drivetrain. And it is NOT performance oriented. Price,
reliability and efficiency is above performance.

I will agree with this... however we also know that even Tesla ended up having a fit about drivers doing hard launches on the performance version S cars and locking out hard launch after a certain number were done due to how hard it is on the electric motor and other components... I can't recall if they ended up pulling back on this due to flak from owners... but I've never heard of an ICE car having the computer stop it from being abused if that's what the owner wants to do with it.

We currently have no idea how Tesla have approached this on Model 3 but I would have to assume that they are going to err on the side of caution due to the huge number of them that are going to be sold and that Tesla is going to have to warranty for 4 years.

• Funny
Reactions: insaneoctane
My ass dyno, and physics.

No, physics (or any hard science) would include actual physical measurements of the performance of the two cars to determine the actual real world results.

Which you have been shown.

And which prove your ass dyno is wrong.

You're always entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

The actual facts say your opinion is wrong.

You can continue to hold it, but you can't be surprised when literally everyone else in the thread is laughing at you for doing so :)

Speaking of facts you get wrong-

We know the torque curves from both cars. IS needs to get to 5 or 6k RPM to get to peak power.

Apparently you don't know the torque curves...

Peak torque (277 ft-lbs) is at 4800 rpms. But it's already over 200 at 1700 rpms and over 250 by 2900

and it has an automatic transmission

Well, THAT is at least correct... though it shows you don't understand the factors in that that can help the car- like the torque multiplication offered by the converter and the gearing in the transmission and rear end that can be tailored to maximize performance in certain ranges....

That's why, as I mention, the IS350 is surprisingly quick up to 100ish mph... often beating cars that just looking at the engine #s you'd think it wouldn't... but that it tends to fall behind at higher speeds... it's designed to be especially quick in the speeds people actually drive in real life.

It's one of the (many) factors you have made clear you don't understand and why your conclusions don't match professionally measured real-world results.

One has AWD, one does not.

yes, the Tesla has AWD and the 350 does not (of the two compared- both of course can be had the other way)

But this actually makes your point even worse.

The RWD version of the Tesla would be slower... Teslas own specs say 0.3 seconds slower 0-60. Meaning if you were doing RWD vs RWD the Tesla would lose by even more to the IS350.

I mean- thanks for bringing up yet another bit of evidence you're wrong I guess....

Yes and peak torque from an electric motor is available at near zero RPMs. This is why the race to thirty heavily favors an electric motor.

Which is why there's a lot more to the story than just the torque curve.

Because I posted the actual 0-30 times and the electric car loses in the comparison.

It also lost 0-40, and 0-50, and 0-60, and in the 1/4 mile.