Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nothing wrong with my fit & finish.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN 5xxx

What's a bulging headlight? What constitutes "weird panel fit"? I read that the stones at Machu Picchu are so perfectly fitted that you cannot slide a piece of paper between them. You can slide a piece of paper between the panels of my car. I guess the Incas were better engineers than Tesla.

Of course they were. Pity they aren't still around. Imagine how boring this forum would be if the Incas built the Model 3. Nothing to complain about, ever, because everything would be built perfectly ;)

Reactions: daniel
Nobody ever posts when there's nothing wrong, so I just though I would. As far as I can tell, the fit & finish of my car, outside and inside, are all as perfect as my eye can detect. A few quibbles about firmware, which I hope will be addressed in future updates. But visually the car seems perfect.

Feel free to add yourself to the list of people whose Model 3 is cosmetically perfect. :)
Great to see you are happy with it - its an amazing car.

On a side note, I find most of the people posting about fit and finish tend to be the OCD types whom not much is ever good enough.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
On a side note, I find most of the people posting about fit and finish tend to be the OCD types whom not much is ever good enough.

I have to disagree. I think it’s great that people love their Model 3s even if they aren’t perfect, but let’s not fool ourselves. The quality of Model 3s rolling off the line is nowhere near what it should be on a $50,000 car. Not even close. We must hold Tesla accountable because mass market success depends upon being competitive with the best built cars.

let’s not fool ourselves. The quality of Model 3s rolling off the line is nowhere near what it should be on a $50,000 car.

The $50K Lexus that you bought I am sure had an amazing paint, great fit and finish and perfectly aligned panels, but it had lousy battery tech, a very small battery, anemic acceleration and simply can't drive itself like my Tesla does.

So to put this in context, most of the $50K goes to the battery, best EV drive train in the market today and some great self-driving tech. I am sure someday you will get a Tesla that hits all those aspects, but for now between the great fit/finish with an ICE engine, and a less than stellar panel alignment with an EV tech - I would take the later.

The $50K Lexus that you bought I am sure had an amazing paint, great fit and finish and perfectly aligned panels, but it had lousy battery tech, a very small battery, anemic acceleration and simply can't drive itself like my Tesla does.

So to put this in context, most of the $50K goes to the battery, best EV drive train in the market today and some great self-driving tech. I am sure someday you will get a Tesla that hits all those aspects, but for now between the great fit/finish with an ICE engine, and a less than stellar panel alignment with an EV tech - I would take the later.

First, don’t be absurd I would never drive a Lexus.

Second, my post already had context, which you removed when you truncated it. So again...

I have to disagree. I think it’s great that people love their Model 3s even if they aren’t perfect, but let’s not fool ourselves. The quality of Model 3s rolling off the line is nowhere near what it should be on a $50,000 car. Not even close. We must hold Tesla accountable because mass market success depends upon being competitive with the best built cars.

The trade offs that you are willing to make today don’t extend to the mass market that Telsa needs tomorrow.

The mistake you make is the same one that, unfortunately a lot of people make. That is, assuming that you can put ten or fifteen thousand dollars worth of batteries in a car, and still have all the features and quality of a stinker with the same sticker price. There is, sadly, still a price penalty on an electric car because batteries are horrendously expensive. There's also a convenience penalty because it takes half an hour to four hours to "fill" it, depending on the kind of charger available, and the charger infrastructure is still in its infancy, while there's a gas station on every corner in town and every few miles on every podunk road in the country. And lastly, people who drive stinkers get to dump their filthy stink and carbon and other pollutants into the air at no cost to themselves, and oil companies get enormous subsidies for depleting a non-renewable resource. (They actually call it the oil depletion allowance!)

So, no, you cannot compare the fit and finish of a $50K electric car with the fit and finish of a $50K stinker. And for the next few years, while the price of gasoline remains low, EV adoption is going to have to depend on people who choose to spend the extra money and accept the added inconvenience, in order to reduce their pollution footprint and/or enjoy the performance benefits of an EV. Because while the $50K stinker has better fit and finish, the $50K EV has better performance.

So, no, you cannot compare the fit and finish of a $50K electric car with the fit and finish of a $50K stinker.

This. The Model is is not a $50k car. It's a $30k car (give or take) with a lot of money going into batteries. Tesla saved a lot of money going with a minimalist approach, but even so, Tesla has a lot less money to put into fit-and-finish and interior design than BMW does *at the same retail price point*. That's just reality, and will be so for years to come.

Model 3 is not going to pull people away from $50k "stinkers" (I do like your term....) unless they are interested in the positive attributes that an EV supplies. That's fine. The atmosphere doesn't care whose cars are being replaced with EVs in this early stages; just that we are making progress.

I’m pretty sure that the people moaning and complaining about minuscule items have not once even reviewed or examined a panel or other item when buying another car.

The mass hysteria of panel gap-itis for ridiculous Tesla owners is nauseating at times. It’s no wonder Tesla owners get bad reputations and are getting worse by the model. Sad to see really.

So, no, you cannot compare the fit and finish of a $50K electric car with the fit and finish of a $50K stinker.
Do you think Elon sits around thinking “Yes the quality of the Model 3 is exactly what I had hoped it would be and will be good enough for our long-term success!” No, and neither should you.

This. The Model is is not a $50k car. It's a $30k car (give or take) with a lot of money going into batteries.

There isn’t and never will be a $35k version of the Model 3. This should be obvious by now.

The quality of Model 3s rolling off the line is nowhere near what it should be on a $50,000 car.

You used the catch-all word 'quality' as if somehow cosmetic fit and finish and paint is the sole definition of quality. For me the definition of quality is different. It is not cosmetic, but it is what is underneath the hood. In that aspect all ICE cars fail my definition of quality.

Therein lies the difference in approach.

Tesla will eventually get there.

I’m pretty sure that the people moaning and complaining about minuscule items have not once even reviewed or examined a panel or other item when buying another car.

The mass hysteria of panel gap-itis for ridiculous Tesla owners is nauseating at times. It’s no wonder Tesla owners get bad reputations and are getting worse by the model. Sad to see really.
If a model 3 owner chooses to concentrate and laud the positive aspects of the car while choosing to ignore some minor issues (which Tesla will try fix to meet your standards), some will choose to call them "fanboys", "fanbois", or "complete enthusiasts". When I get my model 3, you will hear no complaining from me. I will only talk about the things that bring a grin to my face. If there is a problem, minor or major, I will take it to the service center to have it fixed rather than litigate the issue on TMC. Once fixed. I will report to TMC and praise Tesla's customer service. I could also complain about how unfair Tesla is being about issuing their invitations to configure whether it is the line jumpers, some people get two invitations before I get just one, or why some on-line reservationists who reserved after me are already getting their invitation and I haven't. I could complain about the smartphone/keycard doesn't work for me but I have already figured out a work-around that works for me and I will report on TMC soon.

No, I'm not going to complain. I am going to practice joy in how fortunate and lucky I am to be able to participate in the personal transportation revolution. I am going to practice gratitude that I get to participate in the embarrassing riches of our society. I am going to practice patience in attaining a personal lifetime goal and crossing one more thing off my bucket list.

I am a complete enthusiast!

If a model 3 owner chooses to concentrate and laud the positive aspects of the car while choosing to ignore some minor issues (which Tesla will try fix to meet your standards), some will choose to call them "fanboys", "fanbois", or "complete enthusiasts". When I get my model 3, you will hear no complaining from me. I will only talk about the things that bring a grin to my face. If there is a problem, minor or major, I will take it to the service center to have it fixed rather than litigate the issue on TMC. Once fixed. I will report to TMC and praise Tesla's customer service. I could also complain about how unfair Tesla is being about issuing their invitations to configure whether it is the line jumpers, some people get two invitations before I get just one, or why some on-line reservationists who reserved after me are already getting their invitation and I haven't. I could complain about the smartphone/keycard doesn't work for me but I have already figured out a work-around that works for me and I will report on TMC soon.

No, I'm not going to complain. I am going to practice joy in how fortunate and lucky I am to be able to participate in the personal transportation revolution. I am going to practice gratitude that I get to participate in the embarrassing riches of our society. I am going to practice patience in attaining a personal lifetime goal and crossing one more thing off my bucket list.

I am a complete enthusiast!

its not the simple. the headlights sticking out are "normal". the sunken hood is "normal". these are not normal items are out quite visually disturbing once you notice them. they also refuse to fix them since they are "normal"

Reactions: RBowen
its not the simple. the headlights sticking out are "normal". the sunken hood is "normal". these are not normal items are out quite visually disturbing once you notice them. they also refuse to fix them since they are "normal"
What do you practice? If you practice finding fault with what is "normal", you will become an expert at it. As an expert you will find fault in everything that is "normal" even with a fault a layman cannot see because you are an expert on everything that should be "normal" and you can see it in YOUR life. What do you practice?

Huh? I've never had an issue previously with a car or fit or finish. But since I've never spent 60k on a car before I haven't looked. I ended up fixing my frunk myself... Try working on a brand new car taking it apart when it should be done right in the first place. I cannot wait for your rant about your sunken hood or poorly closing doors etc. The sunken hood stares you in the face Everytime and every second you are driving. Don't give me the BS of practice. Once you get your car, then you can tell me about how these things don't bother you. I have a cracked Vase to sell you that has been fixed with glue (it works) and only is $2000 which a bargain for a Tiffany studio.
/End rant

What do you practice? If you practice finding fault with what is "normal", you will become an expert at it. As an expert you will find fault in everything that is "normal" even with a fault a layman cannot see because you are an expert on everything that should be "normal" and you can see it in YOUR life. What do you practice?

at the risk of spamming.. 'What do you practice?"

... When I get my model 3, you will hear no complaining from me. I will only talk about the things that bring a grin to my face. If there is a problem, minor or major, I will take it to the service center to have it fixed rather than litigate the issue on TMC. ...

I would hope that when you get your Model 3 (and let it be soon :) ) you will report the good and the bad. Openness in all things. If there are problems (which is not very likely) we can all benefit by learning about them, and about the resolution. Let's say, e.g., that your grilldag encrustor is enlapsing intermittently. We'd all benefit by knowing about it, and once Service figures out the reason and the solution, we'll benefit by knowing that also.

There's a difference between complaining and reporting. Information is always good.

Example, I re-installed the app in an attempt to solve a different problem. Reinstalling the app caused it to forget to be a key. I mentioned that on the forum. Maybe there's another owner as dumb as I am who reads my post and now knows to re-initialize the phone as key if he has to re-install the app.

You will enjoy your Model 3. If you are like me, it may take a few days to get used to it. Coming from the Roadster there was a lot to learn and get used to.