Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nothing wrong with my fit & finish.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m pretty sure that the people moaning and complaining about minuscule items have not once even reviewed or examined a panel or other item when buying another car.

The mass hysteria of panel gap-itis for ridiculous Tesla owners is nauseating at times. It’s no wonder Tesla owners get bad reputations and are getting worse by the model. Sad to see really.
100000000% this.... these people are just outright annoying IMO - I see a guy holding a card next to a gap to see if it off by a few mm i mean what the???????????????
If you're an OCD type who is concerned about these things, don't buy it!!! Buy something else pulezzzzz. Getting really sick and tired people posting photos who are holding a microscope next to panels to see if they can spot a gap that is off by a millimeter

Last edited:
So to put this in context, most of the $50K goes to the battery, best EV drive train in the market today and some great self-driving tech. I am sure someday you will get a Tesla that hits all those aspects, but for now between the great fit/finish with an ICE engine, and a less than stellar panel alignment with an EV tech - I would take the later.

Except the Bolt has both; likely the I-PACE too. And the first Xs, where price was no object, also had major body panel issues. Tesla just doesn't know how to make quality cars at scale.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: valakos and RBowen
When it comes to body panels, I have to wonder: if Tesla can't get the most obviously visible parts of their cars right, how do you know the hidden stuff is quality? I'm reminded of the ghosting windshields and bad trim of the X, and all of the other problems it had; and that was with a mature battery and drivetrain from the S.

Except the Bolt has both; likely the I-PACE too. And the first Xs, where price was no object, also had major body panel issues. Tesla just doesn't know how to make quality cars at scale.

Hate to break it to you but quality involves alot more than your subjective (and possibly OCD) opinion as to what constitutes a good panel gap. The drive train is covered by warranty by quote "8 year or unlimited miles Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty" . Why not buy a different car other than a tesla if you are concerned about panel gaps?

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you but quality involves alot more than your subjective (and possibly OCD) opinion as to what constitutes a good panel gap. The drive train is covered by warranty by quote "8 year or unlimited miles Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty" . Why not buy a different car other than a tesla if you are concerned about panel gaps?

Panel gaps are a clue that quality may be poor in hidden parts of the car. It's like the cockroach of bad manufacturing. For every one you see, there are multiples you do not.

You may attempt to bully me, but I am allowed to both own a Model 3 (carbon free!) and allowed to wish that quality were better. My last Model X spent 63 days in the shop; warranties mean little when it comes to Tesla.

Reactions: ModelX and RBowen