Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nothing wrong with this door, or is it? :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla claims that my door is functioning properly, at least related to the "lets hope that the Tesla owner is very strong so he can close the door manually"-issue... In the below link there are a few videos.

https://goo.gl/photos/2iC5ooovoio8RyMGA

My front doors has been functioning good. But after getting it back from the "patch up the small issues after delivery"-service, the front door mechanical closing/opening was working very badly, and the door was actually very heavy to close manually. They took it back in, and stated they fixed it, hrm... tested it, and now the mechanical opening/closing kind of works (doesn't open fully from time to time), but the door is even MORE tough to close manually.

Personally I think the door is not properly adjusted, the window goes on the wrong side of the frame from time to time, and after the last service, quite frequently.

And I was able to fully open the window by closing/opening the door many times... Take a look at the videos :)

Door seems fine. Window needs to be re-calibrated.

The door will only open as far as it feels it's safe. If you stand next to the 2nd row FWD door when you open the door, you'll be standing next to the sensors and make the X think there is an obstacle very close by. Therefore, the doors will not open very wide.

Once the door does open, it will try to remain at that opening for 2-3 seconds before allowing you to open it further. It will resist you. What I do is wait a second, then try again to open it further. I don't bother trying to muscle the car.

Having taken delivery of my Model P90DL in February I find the automatic opening/closing of the driver's door is one of my favorite features. The door actions are much more reliable now than they were in the beginning. I find if the door "thinks" there is something in the way it will only partially open. It could be just a shadow. The sensors in the earlier cars had an issue with staying in place. This was especially true when it would get hot outdoors. Tesla will replace the sensors only if you report it as an issue related to heat. The other thing I found is if you open the car many times over a few hours it will act up.

In my case I belong to a group of EV enthusiasts who spends time most weekends tryimg to educate the public about EV cars. We have a variety of car types like Sportster, Model S, Model X, BMW i3, BMW i8, Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Ford plugin, Kia Soul EV, Toyota Plugin and others. I find at shows if I show the automatic opening of the front door too much it will stop working and only open two-three inches.

If you haven't started one already keep a log book with each time you take it in for service along with the reason and outcome. You may need this information someday. My Model X has been in for service going into the fifth week. My loaner is a new Model S P90D. The thing I miss most is the automatic opening doors.