Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notice: Limited Deceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After yesterday's software upgrade; I've been receiving this random notice "Limited deceleration when accelerator is released. OK to drive – Use brake pedal as needed.”
WTFO! Should I be worried? I'm a newbie to the Tesla domain. It's been less than two week since taking ownership of the vehicle.

After yesterday's software upgrade; I've been receiving this random notice "Limited deceleration when accelerator is released. OK to drive – Use brake pedal as needed.”
WTFO! Should I be worried? I'm a newbie to the Tesla domain. It's been less than two week since taking ownership of the vehicle.
Is it because the regen is reduced such as a full battery, cold weather, overheating...?

Your battery is mostly-full so there's not enough room in there to store regen electricity. It's no big deal. Drive a bit and it'll go away

The warning used to be different --regeneration limited or something like that. I have noticed that I get the message in cool weather after using regen a lot. I get it even at around 60% battery. It's almost like you can "use up" the available regen.

Once I've been driving for a while, it goes away and I can regen as much I want. It almost certainly has to do with battery temperature.

Reactions: WillwayGTO
As a software engineer myself, I imagine the original warning message was just put in by a software engineer, and some Product person came in and was like we have to make it clearer to new users. And then the engineer was like you don't realize they have time to read that s**** while driving right? And the product person is like well my VP wants it and so the engineer reluctantly changes the the key.

No? This only happens at my job?

As Empiro stated, I too noticed the regen functioned as it should. Being a newbie I felt it was software related but wanted it confirmed so I reached out to this community before freaking out and submitting a service request and ringing my service center.

I wish Tesla would go that extra 5 percent sometimes. You are driving a computer on wheels, equipped with cellular data, web browser and more. Why not add a simple little icon to that message or make that whole message a clickable button to pop up more information about it? If you are driving it will tell you to stop and put it in park to get more info. Once parked, open a web browser and pop up a page with more details. This would not only be friendlier to those new to a Tesla, but it should also prevent a lot of extra service tickets and calls about something they would perceive an issue to be fixed.

Cool thanks. As we are discussing software; how about adding Apple Music to the app store; as it is I have to use Bluetooth to listen to my Apple Music. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of us who prefer Apple Music over Spotify. Hopefully someone from Tesla (who is high enough in the organization) reads these conversations can make that happen. That would be sweet!

Its the new text for regen being limited when the battery pack is cold or when you might have greater SOC. You can also swipe left on that bubble to reduce it to a triangle if the text irritates you; it goes away shortly.

I have been noticing this a lot in the last 2 months too. I know it is not battery full related as I only ever charge mine to 80%, except if I know I will need that extra 20%. It only occurs when I first get in the car in the morning it seems, after about 10 mins of dirving it is gone so putting it down to climate based on the above posts. It has been colder here recently, but nothing in comparison to most places around the world. The coldest it gets here is about 8 degrees (46F) so wouldn't have thought that would be an issue for the batteries

I have been noticing this a lot in the last 2 months too. I know it is not battery full related as I only ever charge mine to 80%, except if I know I will need that extra 20%. It only occurs when I first get in the car in the morning it seems, after about 10 mins of dirving it is gone so putting it down to climate based on the above posts. It has been colder here recently, but nothing in comparison to most places around the world. The coldest it gets here is about 8 degrees (46F) so wouldn't have thought that would be an issue for the batteries
You should try preconditioning in the A.M. for 5 to 10 minutes before driving, then see if the message still appears. If needed the Tesla Model Y will warm the battery.