Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notice of Non-renewal of Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is something that I hadn't considered, figured it was a no brainer because of the solid safety ratings. I better hurry up and check the rates prior to paying my deposit. FWIW, I have State Farm for home, auto, and umbrella and would be curious to see what others are paying who have State Farm.
the cost of repairs is what is causing the rate increases, the safety of the car is only a small component of how the rates are determined

I have liberty mutual and they quoted me $1500 per year with an $1000 deductible. It's more than my other cars but doesn't seem to unreasonable given the higher value and power on the tesla p85. PM me if you are in New York and I can give you my agents contact info. He is very helpful.

I shopped what felt like every major company. I got everything from the ridiculous (I think State Farm quoted me $5000 per 6 months) to the semi-reasonable. I couldn't find anyone to beat Geico at about $340 per month. Part of that is just the cost of living in Southern California but coming from Illinois, it's a hard pill to swallow. I never tried Progressive because I feel like I remember their quotes being ridiculously high but then I saw a bunch of people here saying that Geico and Progressive were the way to go.

So I checked them out and boom: identical coverage for $240 a month.

State Farm covered my new Model S without hesitation and at a reasonable rate, comparable to our Lexus.

We have our 4 vehicles with State Farm, our 2 homes, and an umbrella policy so I can't wait to call them in the morning to see what they are going to charge for the MS. I currently pay the following for a paid in full 6 month policy on my 2014 550i and live in TN where the rates are much lower than other parts of the country.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 10.27.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 10.27.15 PM.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 110
We have our 4 vehicles with State Farm, our 2 homes, and an umbrella policy so I can't wait to call them in the morning to see what they are going to charge for the MS. I currently pay the following for a paid in full 6 month policy on my 2014 550i and live in TN where the rates are much lower than other parts of the country.

I'm with AllState. Minor bump compared to my GS350. Make sure you let them know which model. The S70 was SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than a P85D.

I'm torn. On the one hand I want to chalk this up to horrible insurance companies. On the other hand, I can't blame them. So many of these cars are totaled out with minor damage because of the unknowns. The insurance companies know they have to send the car to Tesla to check the battery and other equipment and they know if the battery is damaged it's $40,000+ to replace it.

Having literally just gone through this not 2 days ago, battery replacement is $22,000.00. Still bad, but not $40k+ by a long shot.

Also suggest USAA if you can qualify. There are advantages to companies like Chubb that handle high-end assets and offer things like agreed value coverage. Cars are cheap to fix, people are not--if your insurance company cannot figure that out, probably good to find a new one.

the rates someone has to pay for auto insurance is extremely personalized. there are many external factors that go into the mix of determining your rates, in addition to the history of the particular car you are insuring there are other factors that are part of the final rate you will be paying. things like driving history, other drivers in your household, miles driven, where you live, where you work, your credit history and some I haven't mentioned are all part of the rate calculation. the reason I post this is that what person A pays to insure their car has little bearing on what it might cost person B.

Word removed -mod.

I'm not even mad, now it looks even better because people will think it says ****ed. Which is what they do to you.

You pay money for coverage, and when you need it most, they find any little thing they can to screw you over, and get out of covering the issue. Then, even if the situation is clearly someone else's fault, they raise your rates anyway.