Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notice of Non-renewal of Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was rear ended a few years back, and with progressive at the time. They didn't raise my rates, but I thought I could get cheaper rates elsewhere. As I was shopping around, my rates were expensive due to me being rear-ended and in a non-at-fault accident.

That's very messed up.

Insurance in the USofA is a tremendous SCAM... The insurance companies have been able to get the laws written to benefit them at the expense of you. For instance, allowing not at fault accidents to count just the same as at fault accidents is the single biggest component of this SCAM.

Most people I know, myself included, have no problems with the laws forcing people to have a minimum level of insurance as it protects all of us to an extent. Alas, they own the politicians so we all simply have to make due with the hand we're dealt...

Jeff

Insurance in the USofA is a tremendous SCAM... The insurance companies have been able to get the laws written to benefit them at the expense of you. For instance, allowing not at fault accidents to count just the same as at fault accidents is the single biggest component of this SCAM.
Jeff

That is not true as a matter of fact. I have several companies that do not charge your extra for a not at-fault claim. Some companies still charge for NAF, but not nearly as much as an at-fault.

Data point: USAA premium for p85d with highest everything (1k deductible, and 1mm bodily and 500k property limits) and a 20% car replacement assistance, is 1,260/year, 105/month.

They are very good to work with and being a credit union they are owned by members instead of profit seeking shareholders.

That is not true as a matter of fact. I have several companies that do not charge your extra for a not at-fault claim. Some companies still charge for NAF, but not nearly as much as an at-fault.

I call BS... I had a no fault accident years ago, hit a chunk of metal in the road that had fallen out of a truck a few cars in front of me, and no matter who I called each and every one of them hit me for the no-fault accident. I called 9 different companies...

Jeff

I call BS... I had a no fault accident years ago, hit a chunk of metal in the road that had fallen out of a truck a few cars in front of me, and no matter who I called each and every one of them hit me for the no-fault accident. I called 9 different companies...

Jeff

Call BS all you want, but I know for a fact I have insurance companies that A NAF will not make .01 difference. I'm not saying all companies do, of course, because some of my companies DO charge for that.

However, what you are describing sounds like a collision claim and not a not-at fault claim. I can sympathize with you here because I've had a customer go through this. If you hit a "fixed object" in the road, even if it just came off of someone elses trailer (and you can't catch them to get their insurance to pay), you'll be charged with an at fault accident...as crazy as that sounds. I had a customer hit a Chevy V8 engine at dusk that had just fallen off of a trailer, and he was hit with the claim. At dusk and over a hill right in the middle of the road, and no chance to evade. Not fair I agree.

I didn't mean to derail the thread. Back to Pete's story, being in the business, I can see this coming more and more likely. I've seen people post on here the premiums they are paying for a Model S and its ludicrous how little some people are paying. It won't last for sure. In my own example, someone backed into me in a parking lot (probably 5 mph impact) and punched in my rear quarter panel about the size of a baseball. Their insurance company was out $20k after all was said and done ($10k of diminished value). Once insurance companies start looking at the data and the costs to repair these vehicles, rates will go up and a Model S will make it on to more and more "restricted vehicles" lists on underwriting guidelines.

Having literally just gone through this not 2 days ago, battery replacement is $22,000.00. Still bad, but not $40k+ by a long shot.

As of a month ago the local service center confirmed that batteries were still billing out at $40,000+. Your $22,000 is likely how it was billed with a battery exchange or an upgrade.

I believe if the batteries were now $22,000 that would be pretty huge news as they are the most expensive part on the car and that would represent a 50% reduction in cost.

Call BS all you want, but I know for a fact I have insurance companies that A NAF will not make .01 difference. I'm not saying all companies do, of course, because some of my companies DO charge for that.

However, what you are describing sounds like a collision claim and not a not-at fault claim. I can sympathize with you here because I've had a customer go through this. If you hit a "fixed object" in the road, even if it just came off of someone elses trailer (and you can't catch them to get their insurance to pay), you'll be charged with an at fault accident...as crazy as that sounds. I had a customer hit a Chevy V8 engine at dusk that had just fallen off of a trailer, and he was hit with the claim. At dusk and over a hill right in the middle of the road, and no chance to evade. Not fair I agree.

I didn't mean to derail the thread. Back to Pete's story, being in the business, I can see this coming more and more likely. I've seen people post on here the premiums they are paying for a Model S and its ludicrous how little some people are paying. It won't last for sure. In my own example, someone backed into me in a parking lot (probably 5 mph impact) and punched in my rear quarter panel about the size of a baseball. Their insurance company was out $20k after all was said and done ($10k of diminished value). Once insurance companies start looking at the data and the costs to repair these vehicles, rates will go up and a Model S will make it on to more and more "restricted vehicles" lists on underwriting guidelines.

The joys of nomenclature... Fair enough...

I think as more cars transition to an aluminum body, the overall repair costs will come down. Granted, that's just a guess of mine but that seems to be part of the major cost issues to date.

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

not your fault? who hit the debris in the road?

Your kidding me right??? How in the hell is a bouncing metallic object in the road falling off the back of a truck two cars in front of me my fault for not being able to avoid it? I had two options, hit the object or veer into the other lane causing a chain reaction multi vehicle accident in traffic. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, that hardly makes it my fault.

Good lord...

Jeff

I find it hard to believe too.

I was rear-ended like 3 years ago, each insurance company whose online questionnaire I filled out and called to talk to (maybe 3-4?) all raised my rates due to me being rear ended (I was standing, the guy wasn't paying attention, I don't see how this is my fault in any way whatsoever). It wasn't a huge increase, maybe $100/6months, but each time I started with "what if I had no accident?" and then "what if someone rear-ended me and I was not at fault?" the price was different.

I have full tort on my policy. I plan to speak w/a lawyer soon, as my S still isn't whole (goes in for final fix today), and now that I know my rates will be higher over the next several years, I believe I can go after the person who hit me, to get that amount covered.

Sad, sad world we live in.

We have an umbrella policy through AmFam. I contacted them to get a quote on the Model X @ $112,000, when replacing my current Suzuki, and they quoted an increase in price of $200/month. I'm actually going to give them a call and make sure they meant an increase of $200/month, or whether it would be $200/month to insure the Model X. I took it to mean the former, but looking at other's quotes now I'm not so sure.

At $200/month extra...I'm thinking we may need to find another insurance company.

EDIT:

Yes, confirmed that Insurance on the Tesla would be $2400/yr

Last edited:
Not sure why, but they're horribly uncompetitive for me, roughly 60% more than my current/previous insurer.
Same for me. I had been with Progressive for ages before I got my Model S. They quoted me at right around $3000 a half for my P85. I assumed there was a mistake, but there wasn't. I'm actually paying $1100 a half now with GEICO for double the coverage. It was a pain moving all my policies over, and Progressive was always reasonable to deal with, but that's a huge price difference.

My GEICO policy had decreased in cost each of the past two renewals, but I guess I just lost the new car discount so it went up for the first time in a year.

I'm not crazy about GEICO, but everywhere else I got quotes was closer to Progressive's $3k than GEICO's $1k. State Farm wanted $4500 a half! :rolleyes:

Pardon if I'm derailing a bit, but I just got off the phone with Progressive...since they don't have a Tesla option when trying to get a quote. They informed me that they don't insure the Model X...or maybe even Model S, as the conversation got more confusing. She mentioned something about them not insuring it because it was an electric vehicle at one point.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused about Progressive's policy now.

EDIT:

Part of the confusion may have been that I had chosen 2016 for the online quote. I don't recall mentioning it being a 2016 on the phone, but perhaps I did... *shrugs

Last edited:
Welcome to the unpleasant part of owning a Tesla., crazy expensive and slow to repair, absurdly high insurance rates and cancelled policies, all things that won't change for the foreseeable future.

My policy got cancelled due to Not at Fault accident with an animal that resulted in ~$20000 damage to the car, which was a rip-off from the body shop but that's another story. My policy got cancelled and from paying $1200 a year, now I'm at $3000 with not a choice, as nobody wants to insure a customer that has their previous policy involuntarily terminated.

When it comes down to owning a Tesla, pray to never be involved in any accident or have your insurance terminated just because you own one. 100000 cars on the road, another 100k over the next year, that will give insurance companies a solid reason to re-visit the rates for insuring a Tesla.