Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notification about Window Open? (But Windows are Closed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had a problem with the App thinking that one of the windows are open?

Not sure how long this has been going on but I recently re-subscribed to TeslaFi and yesterday I received a notice that my window has been down for more than 15 minutes. I was inside at a meeting so I opened the Tesla app and sure enough, on the controls screen, I could see that instead of the window icon showing "vent", it was showing "close". So I "closed" the window and assumed I must have left it open.

It then happened again when I was somewhere else, so I went outside and looked at the car and all the windows were closed! I selected "close" on the Tesla app and I could hear a slight noise from the windows, similar to when the window is closed, but you pull up on the window button but the window is already closed.

I sent a note to TeslaFi (and they answered almost immediately, awesome customer service) and said the API is showing "more than one window open".

Now, every time I look at the Tesla App, it shows me that I need to close the window. I close it, and then 30 seconds later, it switches back from "vent" to "close".

I don't know how long this has been going on because I just recently re-subscribed to TeslaFi.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

When it is super cold, I've found that the windows drop down a bit after closing a door.

Presumably this is to assist in NOT getting frozen shut. Unfortunately, whatever is sensing the window position considers this not closed. I use TeslaFi and set up a warning to let me know if windows are down after 10 minutes. I get it constantly now that it is winter, and sure enough, clicking close on the Tesla app pushes the windows up ever so slightly.

Reactions: Birdman325
That may well be what it is.
I do remember some updates last winter part of which was to unseat the window ever so slightly in very cold temps to mitigate the freezing risk.
It has been really cold lately and come to think of it, not sure I received the TeslaFi notice during the day yesterday when my car was charging underground. I only received it when it was out. I will keep an eye on it today during the day while the car is underground at work.

Thx

I'm having the same issue. It's about 32°F here, and I get a notification from TeslaFi every 15 mins that my windows are down. The Tesla app shows the windows are down as well. Upon visual inspection, the windows are all closed, however, as others have mentioned, Tesla automatically rolls the windows down an 1/8 of an inch or so when it's cold to prevent windows from freezing shut, which is clearly what is happening here. Tesla needs to update the API so that the windows are still considered closed when this freeze prevention kicks in.

Reactions: Birdman325
Try re-calibrating the windows. If you use the Tesla API, it will show which window is "down". TeslaFi won't tell you which one, but you can just do all 4.

Screenshot_20200126-080952.jpg

Try re-calibrating the windows. If you use the Tesla API, it will show which window is "down". TeslaFi won't tell you which one, but you can just do all 4.

View attachment 505452
Thanks for this! I just tried and now the window is staying closed. I'm going to monitor and if the problem stops I'll cancel my appointment. Might be worth re-calibrating all my windows in the am if this fixes my right rear window.

My tesla app shows "Some windows open" all the time for my Model 3. Service center said it was a known firmware bug.

All windows are closed, but I can hit "Close" on the app. When I do, the message goes away for a few seconds and then returns.

My tesla app shows "Some windows open" all the time for my Model 3. Service center said it was a known firmware bug.

All windows are closed, but I can hit "Close" on the app. When I do, the message goes away for a few seconds and then returns.
Mine (right rear) was doing this exact thing. The window looks closed when you look at it, but it you hit "window up" button it will move up slightly to only drop again slightly seconds later. A window recalibration seems to have remedied the situation so far. I continue to monitor.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
This JUST happened to me a couple days ago. Lending some validity to the theory that it's an anti-freeze measure. However, I tried the recalibration routine and it hasn't happened since. I followed the instructions posted above, except the instructions that I found said to hold the button for 5 seconds in each position. 5 seconds window up, 5 seconds window down, 5 seconds window up. I started the count after the window had finished moving in each direction.

Happened to me several times last winter - did not happen at all when the weather warmed-up, and now that it is cold, it just happened to me again. Agree, that it would appear to lend credibility to the fact that it keeps the windows just slightly down to prevent freezing. (Or not.)

So I did the reset and recalibrated but my issue comes back from time to time. I had a Ranger) over who said a firmware update should be coming.

The problem as I understand it is that in cold weather, the window drops a few mm in case the window frozen. It's meant to prevent damage by trying to open the door while the window is frozen all the way up. By the small amount it lowers it self, it reduces the chance of damage.

It would appear that the "open window" sensor doesn't read this slight drop correctly and triggers the "open window" alert.

Game of mm it would seem.