Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notification of powerwall app update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if by "powerwall app" you mean the official tesla app on your smartphone, whether the app updates, when, if it shows badges on the screen etc, is all on the phone OS side.

On the other hand if you mean the software that runs on the Powerwall gateway (which I wouldn't exactly characterize as an app), that gets updated transparently whenever something/someone at Tesla decides to, and you don't have much if any control over when it happens, what software version you get, etc. You can see what the current version is if you scroll to the bottom of the Powerwall screen on your phone app (as I type this, mine says "Version: 21.20.6").

Bruce.

Reactions: jjrandorin
On the other hand if you mean the software that runs on the Powerwall gateway (which I wouldn't exactly characterize as an app), that gets updated transparently whenever something/someone at Tesla decides to, and you don't have much if any control over when it happens, what software version you get, etc. You can see what the current version is if you scroll to the bottom of the Powerwall screen on your phone app (as I type this, mine says "Version: 21.20.6").

Bruce.
Yes this is what I mean and I’m on the same, so no way to tell if you got the update other than check the current version you are on.

Yes this is what I mean and I’m on the same, so no way to tell if you got the update other than check the current version you are on.
Yep. I think it basically comes down to "check every so often and compare to what other people on TMC have".

Also note the release notes are pretty incomplete (more so than the vehicle software even). I am not impressed by this.

Bruce.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I never saw an actual notification when the gateway 2 firmware updates itself. It even downgraded once a few weeks ago, then later updated to a different FW version. Never was any notifications. You can see the FW version by either logging into the gateway directly or its shown, as bmah noted above, in the Tesla mobile app near the bottom of the main screen right below where it shows how many powerwalls you have. My gw 2 is currently on 21.20.6. Suspect this FW is to support that new virtual power plant pw sharing feature Tesla is asking us to opt into.