Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notification that too much charging can harm Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gillfoto

Wilderness Buggy
May 16, 2013
AK
Pity I didn't do a screen capture on this notice from App. The message was to the effect that charging to full capacity can be harmful to battery life. This happened just two days after download of latest OS 2021.4.6 e44dbab07c42. I became aware the battery was at 300 miles; prior to this we were charging up to around 280 miles. The car is in Southeast Alaska where this winter we've have single digit temps to 5f, plugging in the car overnight.

Should I go back to the 280 mile charge?

I am trying to determine what is the best for the battery?

Pity I didn't do a screen capture on this notice from App. The message was to the effect that charging to full capacity can be harmful to battery life. This happened just two days after download of latest OS 2021.4.6 e44dbab07c42. I became aware the battery was at 300 miles; prior to this we were charging up to around 280 miles. The car is in Southeast Alaska where this winter we've have single digit temps to 5f, plugging in the car overnight.

Should I go back to the 280 mile charge?

I am trying to determine what is the best for the battery?
Best practice is not to charge over 90% unless necessary for a trip.

You can change the battery status to display % of charge in the Display Settings. For daily charging Tesla recommends that you only charge the Model Y up to 90%. Many Model 3 and Model Y owners only charge to 70% to 80% daily depending on their driving needs. Shortly before you leave on a trip, perhaps up to 8 hours prior, you can charge to 100% so you start the trip with a fully charged battery. The worst scenario as far as the health of the battery pack is charging the battery pack to 100% and leaving the Tesla at 100% for an extended period in warm temperatures.

You can change the battery status to display % of charge in the Display Settings. For daily charging Tesla recommends that you only charge the Model Y up to 90%. Many Model 3 and Model Y owners only charge to 70% to 80% daily depending on their driving needs. Shortly before you leave on a trip, perhaps up to 8 hours prior, you can charge to 100% so you start the trip with a fully charged battery. The worst scenario as far as the health of the battery pack is charging the battery pack to 100% and leaving the Tesla at 100% for an extended period in warm temperatures.
Or you can do I as I do, Leave it on miles if you wish. The lines on the battery are divided into 10% segments. I mostly use the app to set charging levels. In iOS there is haptic feedback at 90%.
As you slide the triangle you will also get visual feedback of the range in miles on the lower left of the battery icon.
The attached screenshot shows the line segments, triangle at 90% (daily max) and the 291 miles of range for the 90% set level.
F1838164-AB49-43BE-84A3-DBFEF203599C.jpeg

Or you can do I as I do, Leave it on miles if you wish. The lines on the battery are divided into 10% segments. I mostly use the app to set charging levels. In iOS there is haptic feedback at 90%.
As you slide the triangle you will also get visual feedback of the range in miles on the lower left of the battery icon.
The attached screenshot shows the line segments, triangle at 90% (daily max) and the 291 miles of range for the 90% set level.
View attachment 638759
Thank you!

The message was to the effect that charging to full capacity can be harmful to battery life. This happened just two days after download of latest OS 2021.4.6 e44dbab07c42.
Nothing to do with that software update though. All of Tesla's vehicles since at least the Model S was released in 2012 have always had this warning. (I don't know if the Roadster did before that.)
As people mentioned, the charging limit screen has two sections: 50% to 90% marked DAILY and 90% to 100% marked TRIPS. If you fill it up into that area above 90% for a few days in a row, it will display that message that it's not a good constant practice for daily use because that is a bit worse on the battery. Fine to use it occasionally...for trips, but probably shouldn't do that all the time.

You’re very welcome. Always happy to pay it forward. I have received so much from the TMC community over the years.

Hi, it's happened again ------- My model Y has twice recently over ridden my App/Car Monitor settings for hold charge to Max Daily trip setting of 287miles, and has taken it up to a full charge; which I believe is not recommended. Just an FYI I am charging with Gen 2 Connector not the Wall Connector.
Do you have suggestions or comments? Thanks.

Hi, it's happened again ------- My model Y has twice recently over ridden my App/Car Monitor settings for hold charge to Max Daily trip setting of 287miles, and has taken it up to a full charge; which I believe is not recommended. Just an FYI I am charging with Gen 2 Connector not the Wall Connector.
Never seen an override to 100%. I have seen it reduced to 80% at high use Superchargers...
I would contact service. (In your app)
You may have an issue with your onboard charger PMU (power Management Unit)
Seems like something a mobile service appointment could diagnose. I also suggest you try to document. A photo of your settings before and after if you are lucky enough to recreate and capture the phenomenon. Could also be a software glitch that may be solvable with a steering wheel reset...

Reactions: gillfoto
Never seen an override to 100%. I have seen it reduced to 80% at high use Superchargers...
I would contact service. (In your app)
You may have an issue with your onboard charger PMU (power Management Unit)
Seems like something a mobile service appointment could diagnose. I also suggest you try to document. A photo of your settings before and after if you are lucky enough to recreate and capture the phenomenon. Could also be a software glitch that may be solvable with a steering wheel reset...

Thank you, for the good help and suggestion.

Reactions: Daniellane
Maybe helpful for all of us to remember that you are in AK. In the winter. I would be more mindful of the battery in those conditions. Even here in Sunny Florida I back off my normal charge pattern when temps go below freezing. I use 80% under those conditions, vice my normal summer 90. In Juneau, I might go lower, unless my local driving required more. One benefit to that is that you retain some regenerative braking as well.

Change your Energy Display to Energy instead of Distance. Then set via the app to 80 or 90 percent charge. Maybe when you set it so distance the outside temperature is causing the car to charge to 100 in order to reach your set desired range?

Interesting I did look for the option to change to Percentage from Distance as most people are referencing this.

I'll have another look but I'm not sure where the toggle for change is?

OK, now, just went back check car monitor. Main screen, bottom left (Car icon), scrolled down to "Energy Display" where the option to select miles or percentage. I've set it to 80% hopefully the coldest days of winter are behind us.

Thanks again, very helpful!

Last edited:
Interesting I did look for the option to change to Percentage from Distance as most people are referencing this.

I'll have another look but I'm not sure where the toggle for change is?

OK, now, just went back check car monitor. Main screen, bottom left (Car icon), scrolled down to "Energy Display" where the option to select miles or percentage. I've set it to 80% hopefully the coldest days of winter are behind us.

Thanks again, very helpful!
The option to display either battery % of charge or estimated range can be found with the Display Options settings.

I have heard of that just a couple of times, and it I think was just attributed to a rare software glitch in the car.
Could also be a software glitch that may be solvable with a steering wheel reset...
Yeah, I would say give it a reboot to try to clear that up.