Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notified that VIN issued with immediate delivery window at Christmas time, not letting me schedule delivery after the New Year.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR blue, black interior, tow package, FSD. Ordered in October and given estimated delivery of April. By the time the car showed up on the app, estimated delivery had slipped to June. Two weeks ago suddenly says estimated delivery of December 20-25. I was excited to be taking delivery earlier than expected, but still hoping for a 2022 tax credit, didn’t want it until after the New Year. That lasted 3 days and estimated delivery went back to showing June. Sent them a message asking what’s up with that, no response. I check most days, and yesterday still said June.

Late yesterday got a message that I had been assigned a VIN and today a rep called me to schedule delivery and told me if I didn’t accept delivery in this window, they would release the car to another customer. It’s Christmastime, and we are traveling. I have read of others being able to delay their deliveries. I’m a Tesla shareholder and booster, But this seems like poor customer service. Communication from Tesla has been poor around this. I don’t even know if I have time to move money around to pay for it. Opinions? Advice?

Opinions? Advice?

Take delivery or release the car?

esla has never delayed delivery of the same car more than a few days (usually 3 days), so thats not new.

I know you just joined today to post this, but perhaps take a search through this subforum where you posted. You will find that your story is far from unique, so I am not sure what advice you are looking for beside taking delivery or releasing the car (and hoping they dont cancel your order)

Reactions: doozenberg
MYLR blue, black interior, tow package, FSD. Ordered in October and given estimated delivery of April. By the time the car showed up on the app, estimated delivery had slipped to June. Two weeks ago suddenly says estimated delivery of December 20-25. I was excited to be taking delivery earlier than expected, but still hoping for a 2022 tax credit, didn’t want it until after the New Year. That lasted 3 days and estimated delivery went back to showing June. Sent them a message asking what’s up with that, no response. I check most days, and yesterday still said June.

Late yesterday got a message that I had been assigned a VIN and today a rep called me to schedule delivery and told me if I didn’t accept delivery in this window, they would release the car to another customer. It’s Christmastime, and we are traveling. I have read of others being able to delay their deliveries. I’m a Tesla shareholder and booster, But this seems like poor customer service. Communication from Tesla has been poor around this. I don’t even know if I have time to move money around to pay for it. Opinions? Advice?
Tesla doesn't have traditional dealerships or places to store cars.

Of you're not ready to take the car when they build it, they'll sell it to someone who is.

As a shareholder you should be happy they're not holding a bunch of assets waiting on payment.

Reactions: preilly44

Based on anecdotal cases, I think they are prioritizing MYLR's with FSD. Even if you reject now, you will get a new VIN in January. Tesla prioritizes orders in a model that cost more. So a plain MYLR placed now will be November but if adds one option that reduces EDD by many months. The FSD prioritization is not advertised but I can why Tesla would want to prioritize an MYLR with FSD at least close to a lower costing MYP without an FSD delivery time. I took my FSD with intent to add after purchase so I can save on yearly registration fees and also ability to pay purchase this on my 2% cash back Fidelity credit card. In any case, I am fine with a delivery in February once the snow starts clearing. I am a bit weary of learning to drive a Tesla with its regenerative braking and fast acceleration with snow on the ground.

I took my FSD with intent to add after purchase so I can save on yearly registration fees.
Interesting point, the registration fee is like 1% to 2%, so with a $10k FSD option, you can certainly save a little bit.
However, for your insurance, in case the car is totaled, any reimbursement will be based on the purchase price,
this would not include FSD unless you add it to your policy, and paid extra for it.

Take delivery or release the car?

esla has never delayed delivery of the same car more than a few days (usually 3 days), so thats not new.

I know you just joined today to post this, but perhaps take a search through this subforum where you posted. You will find that your story is far from unique, so I am not sure what advice you are looking for beside taking delivery or releasing the car (and hoping they dont cancel your order)

This. Release vin, risk order cancelation, or take delivery. They will deliver it touchless to your house if you are traveling. Good luck.

My cousin’s MYLR is on the same boat. Order date is around early September. EDD suddenly jumped to Dec 21-31, later delivery windows given for either Dec 29 or 30. On Dec 28, his SA put his order to on hold until Jan 10. As of today (Dec 30) his order completely disappeared and SA is not responding to email and phone and text..

My cousin’s MYLR is on the same boat. Order date is around early September. EDD suddenly jumped to Dec 21-31, later delivery windows given for either Dec 29 or 30. On Dec 28, his SA put his order to on hold until Jan 10. As of today (Dec 30) his order completely disappeared and SA is not responding to email and phone and text..
Poof! And just like that, his pricing went up (assuming he decides to re-order and purchase) and went straight to the back of the line. Ruthless

What did you end up doing? I think releasing a car to another customer just means your order is put on hold until you are ready no?

Interesting point, the registration fee is like 1% to 2%, so with a $10k FSD option, you can certainly save a little bit.
However, for your insurance, in case the car is totaled, any reimbursement will be based on the purchase price,
this would not include FSD unless you add it to your policy, and paid extra for it.
I took the quote using the old pricing including FSD. I am going to keep the same quote with that configuration.