TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Notre Dame Supercharging Navigation Issues

Discussion in 'North America' started by unreliantrobin, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. unreliantrobin

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever used the Notre Dame, IN supercharger. I found that the GPS kept trying to navigate me on a bike path, as the road was incorrect in the area and the GPS could not process it correctly. I did find that the Google Maps version showed the correct road however. It took a while to get to the supercharger as the nav kept complaining. I believe this might be more of GPS related post and would be happy to place this elsewhere, but wanted to see if others had experienced a similar issue.

Car: P85D
    FW Version: 2.9.172

-Kyle

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I think that you are talking about the Mishawaka, IN Supercharger.

In general, when close to a Supercharger, the Nav does not understand Shopping Center parking lots, etc. When that happens, zoom the screen way in, and turn on Satellite mode; I like doing this with travel direction up. Then it's pretty easy to orient yourself and find the charging pedestals.

Enjoy your Tesla in Antarctica...

3. Joel

Joel Active Member

If the road in question was by Notre Dame (on the way to Mishawake as Cottonwood pointed out), then yes. I had the same problem; I was either on or next to Notre Dame's campus. I have not used the Mishawaka Super Charger in about 18 months, and I had the same problem. I can't remember the road (it's been awhile).

4. Spyder14

Spyder14 Member

So cold he named it twice!

5. jpontius

jpontius New Member

I'm at work at Notre Dame right now. You're probably talking about Douglas Rd, which is directly in front of the exit off the Toll Rd (I-80/90). The supercharger here is at University Park Mall, which is in Mishawaka. It's a few miles drive from the toll rd exit. Douglas Rd has recently been moved and re-done with roundabouts. Here is a map of the route you want to take.
    supercharger.png

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I believe that many of these problems come from the split-personality of the Tesla Nav function.

The main Nav screen map and "Sat" views are driven by Google Maps data from the cellular data source, but the turn-by-turn instructions and 3-D renderings on the dash (behind the steering wheel) display come from the on-board (made by Garmin?) GPS with its internal database. This is most apparent in areas without cell coverage.

The on-board-GPS, internal database is updated (downloaded) much less often than the on-line Google Maps database. I tough, questionable situations, I always rely on Google Maps on my phone, or at least use Google Maps on the phone as a backup.