TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nova "Car of the Future"

Discussion in 'News' started by vfx, Apr 20, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

2. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I'll try to catch that.

I've got to say, though, that it doesn't sound like the very serious-minded and heavily educational Nova that I remember from years gone by.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

These guys are goofy but not stupid. EV info from their site: Car Talk

More on the Nova episode:
    Car Talk

4. Kardax

Kardax Member

That was a fun show. Really old Tesla footage though, early 2007 I would guess... the price was still $92k and most of the footage was of engineering prototypes #1 and 2. Of historical significance, I'd wager that this is the last time we'll see Martin Eberhard referred to as the founder of Telsa Motors in the mainstream media. (For those who are new here, chief-financier Elon Musk immediately claimed that title after he fired Martin. The revised history is that Martin is the former CEO who wasted lots of money. Elon is now the hero. All hail Elon.)

The show, as a whole, could be viewed as an updated, more-optimistic version of "Who Killed the Electric Car". They accurately made clear that corn-based ethanol is not an effective single solution; cellulosic ethanol is theoretically better but not cost-effective for an unknown number of years. Same with hydrogen. They spent extra time on plug-in hybrids, especially the Chevy Volt, suggesting that this technology is the most promising solution.

The all-carbon-fiber car was new to me. Apparently the Rocky Mountain Institute (a Think Tank) made a car (or rather, a mock-up) with carbon fiber used for both the body panels and the frame, saving an enormous amount of weight without compromising strength or durability. They glazed over the cost of that technology, though...

-Ryan

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#5 vfx, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#6 doug, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
    you can watch the entire episode of Nova online here:
    NOVA | Car of the Future | Watch the Program | PBS

I watched the segment with Martin and the Roadster. It's actually kinda sad, in a way. Reminded me of the image I used to have of the company. I'm still a big Tesla fan, but the company has become a bit tarnished. Martin was an excellent public face for the company. A man with an idea and a vision, a bit of a geek, and a straight talker. Now the public face of the company seems split between Elon and DJ(jazzy)Siry. A combination that unfortunately comes off as somewhat arrogant and smarmy. That may not be the reality, but it's the perception anyhow.

7. doug

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

perception = reality

I echo Doug's comments perfectly except the words "kinda"and "bit"

Again pointing out that Martin's personal blog is far more populated and interesting than all 4 of Tesla's.

Don't know what it would take for Martin to come back but the investors should simply swallow thier pride and make it happen.

9. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Let's keep playing the ball, guys.

Elon is on record as saying that customers WILL get their cars. It is unfortunate that in the vacuum of quieter moments on the Tesla blog we all start thinking our darkest thoughts.

I remember the wild comments that were posted when a WHOLE TWO WEEKS went by without a new Tesla blog :) Tesla Motors - feel (search the page for blinky13 and start reading from there)

10. doug

Hey, again, I'm still a big Tesla fan. I probably follow all the news on the car and company, and I also firmly believe that Elon will make sure customers get their cars.

But seeing these clips does make me nostalgic for the Martin days. It must be somewhat embarrassing for Tesla to have Martin on such a high profile show (high profile for science geeks anyway) given how badly they've treated him. On his blog, in response to a comment about how Tesla has given him no info about P2, Martin said, "I bet I am th only Founders Series or Signature 100 customer who was not invited to the opening of the LA store as well…" It's just a shame.

However, I'll gladly trade the "Martin days" for the hopefully soon to come "there are actually lots of electric cars on the road days." :wink:

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Ditto.

I see no problem loving the car which was Martin's idea and not loving the company that dumped him and is now either faceless or worse because of it.

12. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#12 malcolm, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
    But my point is that we were loving the car/not loving the company back in early 2007 as well.

Beyond that, I'm with Marc Tarpenning: "the situation is what it is"

Tesla Motors: Come for the Engineering; stay for the Soap Opera

*sigh*

Then again, that's why I'm hooked. Can't imagine being this interested in Toyota ;)

13. doug

I'll speak only for my self, but I was definitely loving the company too.

14. DDB

DDB Member

I had a couple thoughts about Martin; more like questions. 1) It's obvious he is in to the green cause, for whatever reasons(s)...so why haven't we seen him delve into his next venture; and 2) Tesla would get crushed by bloggers if they ever thought about filing ANY suit against Martin. I know personally I'd be willing to file amicus curiae (friend of the court briefs and whatever support I could lend) on his behalf even without requests for help because it's obvious where his loyalties lay.

15. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

16. johnr

johnr Member

And that's the entire show too! It's great to see these shows getting onto youtube. I watched this program a few weeks back when it aired on the local PBS affiliate, it was fun to watch, Tom and Ray are always joking around, and they do spend a fair amount of time with the Roadster and clearly they enjoyed it.

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Just re-watched this in March 2011.

Amazing how dated it is. Each of the below comprised a major segment of the show.

Martin is no longer involved with Tesla with just two prototype cars.
    Ethanol is dead.
    Hydrogen, dead.
    The Volt is no longer a concept car that will never get made (nor does it look as interesting.)

18. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

...And carbon fibre cars aren't yet mainstream.

It's one of my fav. shows, will never delete it.

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Good point. I as I watched I wondered what other Rocky Mountain ideas Tesla might have incorporated into the Model S.

20. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

You guys realize that NO VA in spanish means "doesn't go" or "does not Work" Really a bad name for a car.