Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nova Scotia Super Chargers on Model 3 Unveil Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Model 3 booker in Halifax and I've been dying to find out if they will announce superchargers in Nova Scotia or at least in the Maritimes. I was watching the Model 3 unveil again (the news updates are a little few and far between nowadays) and when Elon was talking about doubling the number of superchargers, I noticed the map behind him. It looked to me like it showed a straight line through NS of supercharger sites. It's pretty foggy so I compared it with the map of North America.

I'm no imaging or Photoshop expert (I used paint), but I laid them out next to each other and compared the shape of the landmass and it looks to me like it is Nova Scotia. At least we can assume it's coming relatively soon. Any thoughts?

East.png

Reactions: Jaff
I'm a Model 3 booker in Halifax and I've been dying to find out if they will announce superchargers in Nova Scotia or at least in the Maritimes. I was watching the Model 3 unveil again (the news updates are a little few and far between nowadays) and when Elon was talking about doubling the number of superchargers, I noticed the map behind him. It looked to me like it showed a straight line through NS of supercharger sites. It's pretty foggy so I compared it with the map of North America.

I'm no imaging or Photoshop expert (I used paint), but I laid them out next to each other and compared the shape of the landmass and it looks to me like it is Nova Scotia. At least we can assume it's coming relatively soon. Any thoughts?

View attachment 178831

HOLD THE PHONE! My original post is below.

But just before posting, I checked supercharge.info and specifically the "Changes" page.

Brewer, ME (i.e. Bangor, ME) has received a supercharger permit!

That is a Very Good Thing.

But still...

I really want to believe you're right. I'm from NS too, although I've been away for a while now. I put a reservation down on a Model 3, got impatient, then bought a Model S--delivery in less than a month now (I hope). I'm planning a trip to Halifax as soon as it comes in.

And it's a pain in the ass to get to NS right now. Unless you spring for a Chademo connector ($450!), Maine is a wasteland for fast charging or even destination charging. NB isn't much better. You just can't get to NS quickly. Driving a Tesla (or, I suppose, any electric car) to NS right now is like stepping back a century in time as soon as you pass Magog / Drummondville, QC, or Augusta, ME.

I doubt we should get our hopes up too much based on the map at the release event though.

1. The "points" on Elon's infographic are obviously only "planned" and Tesla's plans change.

2. See the joke that Tesla has played on us with Riviere-du-Loup. (Click the "Charts" link at supercharge.info and scroll to the bottom.)

3. The points on that map will likely be superchargers AND destination chargers. Destination chargers are nice, but many require you to be actually staying at a hotel, so they're not useful for highway travel mid-day / mid-route.

My dream is for superchargers near:

Truro
Annapolis Royal
Shelburne
and, of course:
the Canso Causeway
Cheticamp
Sydney
so we can drive the Cabot Trail without scorching the planet.

Maine is a wasteland for fast charging or even destination charging. NB isn't much better.

NB is far worse than Maine but neither are impossible. Maine has Superchargers and CHAdeMO stations. You really should have your own CHAdeMO adaptor going forward since Ontario and Quebec are doing a massive CHAdeMO rollout that easily eclipses the Supercharger network, and there are two L3 stations in NS already.

As long as you plan to drive your full battery capacity and then overnight somewhere (for me, likely Fredericton), leaving the next morning with a full charge just about gets you back onto the SC network, with a little top up on the way. Just requires modest planning.

Maine to Nova Scotia Ferry Service | The CAT

The CAT ferry will be zipping passengers between Portland, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.

Once again, the fastest way to get from Maine to Nova Scotia is The CAT. You’ll experience the Maritimes the way they’re meant to be seen — by sea! The CAT is fast, with a crossing time of just 5.5 hours (about half the time it would take to drive from Portland to Yarmouth).

Toronto to Portland is an easy supercharging highway trip.

Maine to Nova Scotia Ferry Service | The CAT

Toronto to Portland is an easy supercharging highway trip.

Well...

I need to drop my gf in Moncton on the way, and I need to see my mother and sister in Moncton before heading to Halifax this time too. So direct to Halifax doesn't work for me this time.

Plus, the CAT? Nah. I bought the Tesla to drive, not to pay to have it sit on a ship.

Also, it's 100+ km from the Seabrook supercharger to Portland. It's another 300+ km from Yarmouth to Halifax. That's pushing the upper range of my 75D, which means I'd have to stop somewhere for slow charging before or after the ferry. Lame.

And I don't like the idea of relying on a ferry that has a habit of going bankrupt. And crushing people. ;-)

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer
...doesn't work for me...not to pay to have it sit on a ship...I'd have to stop somewhere for slow charging...Lame...don't like the idea

Yeesh. Just trying to help...

Anyway, my wife has declared she is more interested in a trip to north shore of St Lawrence in Quebec, and I've begun investigations into that trip, so Nova Scotia will wait for another year.

View attachment 178831
Very interesting and promising! I also saw this a couple of months ago:

Canadian Tesla Supercharging Price Per Minute by Province [CHART] | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

Note that NS is one of only 5 provinces listed on the unveiled Supercharger rate schedule and the only one that doesn't actually have an installed SC station. Fingers crossed that when the 2018 map comes out we will see one or more stations in the Maritimes...