TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NOVA: Search for the Super Battery

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by TheTalkingMule, Feb 1, 2017.

1. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Active Member

Tonight(Wed 2/1) at 9pm on PBS. Should be interesting. Storage is the missing piece of the puzzle.

Preview

I'm assuming the gigafactory will be featured prominently and they include a piece on Aquion's salt water battery.

• Like x 3
  2. f-stop

f-stop Member

Thanks! PVR set.

3. Yarder

Yarder Member

Wow, what an interesting and informative show! It was well done all around. A good hunk on the Tesla frame and the two sizes of batteries that they are using.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

Not as much about Tesla as I would have hoped, no mention of the powerwall or merging with solar city. I wished they had touched more on Tesla, or even talked to Elon about the evolution and development of the batteries and gigafactory.

However, it was an interesting program indeed. If the plastic hard battery tech gets more validation and adoption, it could do wonders for extending the range of the vehicles using the same size batteries but with solid batteries that won't explode!

• Like x 1
  5. swaltner

swaltner Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

7. f-stop

f-stop Member

haven't yet watched the NOVA episode but will shortly, thx again for the advance notice.
    good thing I PVR'd it, as the online version on PBS' site doesn't seem to work outside the US...

BTW you might also find this other short video I linked to elsewhere a while ago on how they mine Lithium

8. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Solid State is what VW, Toyota and I think BMW are trying to get to. GM was invested in a Solid State battery startup for a while too, until Dyson bought the whole company (Sakti3). And I think Bosch has some tieup with Seeo.

The major challenge with them has been power density - the solid electrolytes have had poor room-temperature performance limiting power output (and charging speed).

• Informative x 1
  9. Yarder

Yarder Member

Yes, there wasn't anything specific on the Power Wall, but there was a good segment on storing power on a large scale. In some areas the wind turbines are most active at night, but that's when demand is low. So, the idea is to store the overnight energy for use in the day time for an entire region.