Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

November is looking like it’s going to be a very good month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
We’re only 2.5 days in, but so far November seems to be looking pretty good:

9C6E52E3-1BB5-4431-B9B0-1218F68BE16E.jpeg

The last couple of days have been pretty cool (at least for Florida) without many clouds, so that’s helped my production. And the cool weather has meant that my AC hasn’t needed to run much at all, but it’s still warm enough that I haven’t needed to heat the house either. If things continue at this rate November may be my first net positive month since my install back in June.

Reactions: h2oAok
The last couple of days have been pretty cool (at least for Florida) without many clouds, so that’s helped my production. And the cool weather has meant that my AC hasn’t needed to run much at all, but it’s still warm enough that I haven’t needed to heat the house either. If things continue at this rate November may be my first net positive month since my install back in June.
I'm just the opposite. Installed in June, and October was my first month where I used more than produced due to turning the heat on and having crummy weather for much of the month. This week is looking up though. Currently getting 14.1kW solar on the Tesla app right now with < 3kW home usage with temps in the low 30s.

It is amazing how much the weather can quickly change things - I was on track for a great October relative to PVWatts forecasts, and then the last week of the month, my average production dropped from 19.2 to 8.2 kWh daily. But, the cool weather earlier in the month gave me my first negative-usage electric bill (only 10 kWh carried over, but better than nothing.) Calendar month wasn't negative, however, and I likely won't see a chance at a negative month until March, even though gas heat means the cold won't do much to my usage - shorter days and lower sun where I am means I can barely break even right now on a perfectly sunny day, and soon even a sunny day won't cover usage.

We’re only 2.5 days in, but so far November seems to be looking pretty good:

View attachment 605100

Nice. We haven't seen production numbers that high since mid-September. We've been having perfect, cloud-free solar days for the past week. We are in a valley and have mountains to the east and west so that really cuts our production from October - February when the sun is lower in the sky. Currently, we're down 50% and averaging about 72 kWh a day, down from a high of 145 kWh back in the last spring. If our calculations are correct, our production will be all the way down to about 45 kWh a day in January.

@MorrisonHiker are you getting any overhead smoke from the fires out that way? Assume they are still burning. While our skies look clear except for fog in the a.m. before it burns off we still have smoke high in the air from the Creek Fire that is still burning in the Sierras and being blown to the SF Bay area.

We got PTO end of October so having fun checking our daily production. It’s been cool in the mornings and evenings (using heat—but gas furnace) but no A/C needed even with temps having reached 80s during the days. Here’s our production for Nov. with 24 panels and 3PWs.

35775001-6F77-4301-8723-CF81914E0EAD.jpeg 5DC88DFA-06BC-4AA6-A00A-2CD444C1A324.jpeg

@MorrisonHiker are you getting any overhead smoke from the fires out that way? Assume they are still burning. While our skies look clear except for fog in the a.m. before it burns off we still have smoke high in the air from the Creek Fire that is still burning in the Sierras and being blown to the SF Bay area.

We got PTO end of October so having fun checking our daily production. It’s been cool in the mornings and evenings (using heat—but gas furnace) but no A/C needed even with temps having reached 80s during the days. Here’s our production for Nov. with 24 panels and 3PWs.

View attachment 605116
Nice performance graph. :)

We had a lot of smoke in August and September and that reduced our production some. We also had some dirty power issues so combined with the smoke, our production was probably reduced 10% to 20% over the summer. We had an early snow in September which deposited a lot of ash on the panels. As the snow melted, it became concentrated in a few spots. A snow in October washed most of that off but we might clean a few of the panels ourselves one of these days.

2 Powerwalls installed Oct 30 on my existing 7KW system that normally peaks around 5-5.5 kw. Batteries charged to 100% next day and I have had no grid use since then. Batteries go down to 45-55% each night and then fully charge by 2-3 pm and at that point I am shipping to the grid until 5:30. No AC needed even though temps hit 80s during the day but 60 at night.

ok, so rain forecast for the next 2 days. pretty cloudy today, Tesla did a minor tweak on my system yesterday and power was off for 3 hours. As a result, this morning PWs were down to 20%, my min, and not doing well with charging. Guess I'll have some grid time during the next couple days.

We have a 15.4 KW/4 PW system in Houston. We're on a free nights plan (free electricity from 9PM to 9AM), and pay $.20/KWh during the day.

With sunny weather and cooler temperatures, so far this month (first 7 days), we've only used 1.6 KWh of electricity from the grid during the day time.

For the first 7 days of the month - that means our electricity cost is 32 cents!

November is good for me. Powerwalls installed Friday Oct 30. Tesla came out on Thursday Nov 5 to move a couple non backed up circuit to a new no backup panel, building Dept was here Friday and signed off. Got a note from PGE of possible outages at my address. Looked at the backup log toda and there wer 3 outages during the night, the longest was an hour and 45 minutes. System worked perfectly not even a glitch. Thank you Tesla!

Reactions: jboy210
November is good for me. Powerwalls installed Friday Oct 30. Tesla came out on Thursday Nov 5 to move a couple non backed up circuit to a new no backup panel, building Dept was here Friday and signed off. Got a note from PGE of possible outages at my address. Looked at the backup log toda and there wer 3 outages during the night, the longest was an hour and 45 minutes. System worked perfectly not even a glitch. Thank you Tesla!

I did not get a message from PG&E, but I do see that we had an 18 second outage yesterday. Nothing longer. Did PG&E say why?