Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now, A Whole Bunch of Leafs Available at a Dealer Near You!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're not going to see the problem in Norway. Accelerated battery degradation has only occurred in hot climates. I don't think you qualify...
As I said earlier, several thousand Leafs have been exported from the US to Norway and many have bars missing. The Leafs sold new here are much less problematic; their history is known, and they haven't been exposed to hot climates. Still, some of the oldest Norwegian Leafs have lost a bar.

You're not going to see the problem in Norway. Accelerated battery degradation has only occurred in hot climates. I don't think you qualify...

The problem is an US leaf goes on auction, gets sold to a company that exports it to Norway.

Hopefully the companies involved won't export a bar reset leaf with 2 or 3 bars lost hidden but it might happen someday.

Just wanted to let folks know about the MNL thread on this very topic (reset degraded battery from 9 bars to 12).
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18539&hilit=replacement#p400125

If I were in the market for a used Leaf, I would be VERY careful right now. It sure seems like someone (probably Nissan) is making a concerted effort to move used hot weather Leafs to cold weather climates (Norway, MN).
I hope I didn't imply too much with this post. The battery reset issue is different than the movement of hot weather Leafs to cold weather locations. In the former, there may be very few instances where the battery was reset (whether intentional or not, it is hard to know). In fact, I have only read of the one cited above, so it might actually be the only one. However, the latter issue (transfer to cold weather environments) is more widespread and is a simple way to slow battery degradation before reaching 8/12 bars. Yes, the dealer in MN may be very interested in selling EVs and buying used Leafs at auction for $8-10K and selling them for $12-14K may be all that is happening. However, as I said, just be careful and check the battery with Leaf Spy.